PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Weekend--should we just skip it?

alaMode
04-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Hola!

DS (9) and I will be in WDW during the 2nd and 3rd SWW this June. Neither one of us is a HUGE SW fan, but I know DS would love to meet Mickey and Minnie in their SW garb.

Do you think it's worth braving the crowds for this? I should mention the DS has special needs and uses a wheelchair--I'm concerned about pushing him through the throngs!

Any insight is appreciated!

tcswife
04-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Stay Away!!!! Way to many die-hard fans there just to see Minnie and Mickey in SW garb!!!! STAY AWAY!!!!

Amy_617
04-18-2010, 10:08 PM
It didn't seem to bad for us. We were there last year with our (at the time) 11 month old. The crowd really wasn't to crazy. We were able to take our DS right up to the Star Wars characters without standing in a line because they are out EVERYWHERE! They do some really good acting too....and fight/gun scenes! :cool: DH and I aren't big Star War fans either. We have both seen the movies, but that's about as far as that goes. But we really enjoyed it! Something different. I believe we were there for the 2nd weekend as well.

CaptSmee
04-18-2010, 11:25 PM
if your Star Wars fans I'd say go, if your not I'd say go another day other than the weekend

ILoveLegos
04-18-2010, 11:49 PM
I've been to Disney's Star Wars weekend for quite a number of years. I would not compare the crowds to Memorial Day Weekend or 4th of July crods by any means. Lines for non-Star Wars attractions were generally manageble because the "fans" are standing in line for actor's autographs or attending scheduled events.

You might want to consider picking a time to enter the park around early afternoon instead of at opening, especially if you are not that into Star Wars - because that's when the "fans" aim to be there - (the early bird gets the worm in events like these, smile). I must admit though that it is extremely cool to be at park opening to see the storm troopers!

I've found that the "crowds" in the other parks tend to shrink a back a little bit during the Star Wars weekend, so if you have park hopper priviledges (or an AP like me) just pick another park to go to once you get your pictures with Mickey & Minnie in Star Wars outfits. Why not cosider enjoying the "smaller-ish" lines in the othe parks those days?

P.S. I have attended SWW in the past with a family member who uses a wheel chair -the crowds were still manageable for us.

Hope this helps! :mickey:

crltkcagle
04-19-2010, 09:48 AM
We were there last year and I honestly didn't think it was extremly crowded. Now the lines to meet the Star Wars characters were long but the park seemed like just another day to us. Well except there were creepy crawly alien things everywhere. LOL

MNNHFLTX
04-19-2010, 10:25 AM
My son and I are not big Star Wars fans either, but we went to the event a few years ago and had a lot of fun. I didn't think the crowds were all that bad either, except for the parade (one of the few times I have encountered a truly rude person at WDW--why do people think they have the right to come up at the last minute and stand in front of everyone else already waiting?)

If your son would enjoy meeting some of the characters (and Mickey and Minnie in their SW get-up), then I say go for it. Plus you'll have the chance to buy some cool SW souvenirs while you're there!

MOJoe
04-19-2010, 11:27 AM
If you use park hopping, then the answer is easy - check it out! You could go in the morning and meet some characters then watch the parade, which normally is around 11 am. If you have had your fill by then, you could go to another park.
If you don't park hop, then you need to decide if spending the day at the Studios with all the extra SWW things going on is worth fighting the extra crowds. This really is a fun event, so with your child's interest in Jedi Mickey, you should at least check it out once. And you may find you are bigger SW fans than you realize! :yoda:

CU Tiger
04-19-2010, 12:03 PM
We were also there last year and we did not think it was bad at all. I am not a star wars fan, but it was neat to see all the different characters all over the place. I forgot what weekend it was until I saw the storm troopers on the roof of the ticket centers. I would say go.:mickey:

Tink#64
04-19-2010, 11:27 PM
We will be there for the last SWW & we're so excited! We were able to experience the SWW's for our first time a few years ago & it was great! But, it was packed! But I'm thinking that was the trip that we arrived the weekend leading up to the MD holiday weekend and it was noticeably more crowded from the moment we arrived, and the crowds seemed to grow everyday! It was way more crowded than what we're used to! So I'm hoping that a large part of the crowds at the SWW was due to the holiday weekend! But it wasn't a bad experience, and I'd like to think that people have some respect for those in wheelchairs and on the scooters! (At least as long as you don't use the chair as a ramming device as some people seem to do with strollers! Those poor kids! :funny: )

That being said, I was very glad that we had already visited DHS (then MGM) earlier in the week and visited all the attractions, so that we were able to focus solely on the SW's events! This is what we're doing again this year!

iheartdisney
04-20-2010, 09:35 AM
I am not a Star Wars fan, but my husband and kids are. We stumbled onto Star Wars weekend a few years ago. I say "stumbled" because we had NO idea Disney even had a Star Wars Weekend. We had a blast - I thought all the extras were hilarious - and we didn't notice huge crowds. The only "crowds" we noticed were those trying to get pictures taken with the Star Wars characters - which you run into anyway with any character meet and greet.

mjm12000
04-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Go for it, it was not that much more crowded last year than a normal day, and it was so much fun seeing all the characters dressed in Starwars costumes and the parade is fun too...

alaMode
04-20-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm planning to head over to SWW late one afternoon and see how it goes...

We can always go to the Boardwalk if it's too crazy!

Thanks again for the encouragement!