PDA

View Full Version : Ellen's Energy

xo0ally
04-18-2010, 02:52 PM
I have been to Disney many times in my life. I always go to Epcot but don't do many things there just the good rides. Every one talks about getting courage to ride Ellen's energy. I was wondering what it is and whyy is it so bad?

Daisy'sMom
04-18-2010, 03:17 PM
This is one of our favorites and have no idea what that would be about. Do yourself a favor, look a bit more at Epcot. It's not just a few rides. There is so much to offer and if one takes their time and really looks and listens to every nook and cranny, they would be pleasantly surprised.:mickey:

cer
04-18-2010, 03:23 PM
It is not a 'bad' ride. It is educational and very low on the thrill side. And once you get past the preshow area, it is 35 minute attraction and they tell you that over and over, because once you are on, you are on.

It is not a must do by any means, I have been to WDW 5 times and just last trip did Ellen's Universe of Energy. If you have never done it and have the 35-45 minutes to kill, it is a nice rest from the heat and escape from the rain. Kind of like taking a nice, long, break on a dark, cool bench. Just go to the bathroom first.

azcavalier
04-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah, it's not exciting, but it has some funny parts (it is Ellen, after all). Combine Bill Nye the Science Guy, Ellen, and Alex Trebek (she dreams she's playing Jeopardy!), and some animatronic dinasaurs, and that's Ellen's Energy Adventure. I think i've done it twice in the last eight years.

DVC2004
04-18-2010, 04:26 PM
It's a long film- then the ride. Honestly it's something we don't do anymore just because it hasn't changed in years.

celebrationasheley
04-18-2010, 04:39 PM
I won't lie. I pass this ride up every time I visit Epcot. And especially with two kids, some parts are way too loud and scary.

But I praise the technology. It is a different type of ride. And its all on solar power?

Give it a chance.

MarkC
04-18-2010, 05:08 PM
We've ridden this ride at least 10 times. We don't ride it every trip but if you've never done it, it's a must see. Its very well done even if its a little dated. Everyone needs to give this ride a chance.

Rekenna
04-18-2010, 05:11 PM
We, well at DS11 and I, really like this ride. This is totally up his alley. It is a nice break on a hot/tiring day. Very educational, very funny-Ellen, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Bill Nye.

It's worth trying at least once. :mickey:

jlmct52
04-18-2010, 05:21 PM
You should definitely give Universe of Energy. While it is educational, it is also very interesting. And the ride thru prehistoric times is still just as fascinating to me today as it was in 1988 the first time I saw it.

All of Epcot is magical. If people give the various attractions a chance, they will be surprised at how enjoyable they will find them to be.

Belster
04-18-2010, 06:00 PM
We love this ride..we can sit, relax escape the heat. We also LOVE Ellen!! No the ride has no thrills at all..my kids always like to look at the dinosaurs, and my older one even said she learned something from it on our last trip. We try to do it each trip but if we don't get to it, no big deal. :mickey:

I would give it a try.

HoosierDisneyFan
04-18-2010, 06:33 PM
If you enjoy Ellen's humor, this is a good ride. If you dislike Ellen, I would skip it.

CleveRocks
04-18-2010, 07:38 PM
whyy is it so bad?

For me, it's not that it's "bad," it's that it's 45 minutes. That's a huge chunk of time if you're not prepared for it.

KatrinaJ91
04-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Personally, my whole family loves the ride! It is long, but very enjoyable and educational. If you go to Epcot and do not at least TRY every ride, you are cheating yourself! Try everything at least once....you never know what your family will enjoy!! We always have to do 2 days at Epcot while at WDW because we enjoy many of the attractions....most of which take some time. That's not always a bad thing though. Today's society is always in search of a quick thrill and has no attention span....enjoy Epcot, relax, take experience in and don't be in a rush.

crltkcagle
04-19-2010, 09:50 AM
My family loves this ride. I loathe this ride. I feel like I am stuck on it and it just keeps going and going and going. I hate it. Its not that its a scary ride its just really really boring!

jnfr2424
04-19-2010, 10:43 AM
It just neat that the seats are the ride and the fact that it's run on solar power. It's a great ride if you want to take a nap or cool down from the heat but as others have stated once your there, you cannot go anywhere until its over.... as a PP stated you should try everything at least once when in Epcot otherwise you will never know what your missing!

TikiLounger
04-19-2010, 10:49 AM
I must admit, I've never tried it. I was thinking that, maybe...just maybe..., I'd give it a try this time (June). After reading the descriptions in this thread, I've decided it may be okay. I love all of the stars who've been mentioned...Ellen, Jamie Lee, Bill Nye,...okay, I don't love Alex Trebek...but I love Jeopardy. I'm gonna try and convince my daughter to ride with me. It's going to be really hot in June and we may need a break from the heat...

TikiLounger
04-19-2010, 10:52 AM
ooops...sorry, I didn't think my original post went through. just ignore this one!

Dream'nDisney
04-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Wow. In all our trips, we've never done this attraction! What is the actual name, and where is it located? We like both Ellen and Bill Nye, so I think we will enjoy the attraction.

LandFan
04-19-2010, 02:41 PM
It's in the universe of energy building to the left of Mission Space. It's called Ellen's Energy Adventure. We like it too:thumbsup:

LandFan
04-19-2010, 02:42 PM
It's a huge building painted like a rainbow - you can't miss it :D

magicalmom
04-19-2010, 05:19 PM
We tend to be at WDW in August, so we always enjoy Ellen's Energy Adventure - out of the heat and off our feet!

Dream'nDisney
04-19-2010, 08:18 PM
I can't believe we missed it all these years. We will have to make time for it this year.

Gator
04-19-2010, 09:36 PM
At one time, I'm sure it was educational and interesting. Now, it's not educational at all, and the comedy is absolutely dreadful. I keep hoping one of the dinos eats Ellen. It's that bad.

Tink#64
04-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Well we love this attraction! My DS's are now 12 & 14 & we've done this every trip since they were 4 & 6 and we still enjoy it! We often quote silly lines from this attraction! It's educational but also lot's of humor there too! We make this just about the last thing we do in the park, just before visiting MouseGear & then riding SSE on our way out. Yes it's a chunk of time, therefore we think it's best left until the end of our day.

We make Epcot a 2 day adventure, our 1st day being FW & our 2nd visiting all of the pavillions in the WS. Maybe we love most everything in Epcot so much because it was our very first WDW park, but it's just an interesting place, so many unique experiences there, that we all really enjoy! :thumbsup:

Jasper
04-20-2010, 03:23 AM
The reason so many people are unsure of this attraction is that it is so different from anything else at Disney World. Everyone complains that they have to wait in line so long for other attractions and then get such a short ride, but then get to this attraction and find just the opposite!!

We love Ellen's because it is a throwback to the more educational type of attractions that EPCOT started out with.

cantgetenoughdisney
04-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Definitely NOT a fan. Like others have said, nice to get away from the heat for a while. I have NEVER been able to make it through though without dozing off. It, in my opinion, is terribly boring. I usually feel very tired when I get off. We did it a few times, but on my 14th visit next week, I have no plans on riding that ride. The only part I truly enjoy are the dinosaurs.

xo0ally
04-20-2010, 12:24 PM
thanks for the help :)

xo0ally
04-20-2010, 12:26 PM
We did it a few times, but on my 14th visit next week, I have no plans on riding that ride.

so jealous you are going next week, i cant go until summer of 2011 :(

mattandmandy
04-20-2010, 08:57 PM
I will repeat what a lot of others have said. We used it as nap time for the kids on our last trip. Its not horrible or anything, I enjoy Ellen but if your pressed for time you may not want to spend 40 minutes there. If you really wanted to know what its like and don't mind a spoiler you can find plenty of full ride videos online. I don't dislike the ride we use it to rest. And since when we are there it is never completely full the kids have plenty of room to stretch out! :mickey:

mattandmandy
04-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Oh and I forgot to say....since Ellen is still relevant, I'm surprised that they have not updated or made changes....

ToashaF
04-20-2010, 09:28 PM
I think anyone who has not done this should! I agree, it is a nice place to sit in the cool and relax also. And c'mon, Ellen is funny!

cantgetenoughdisney
04-20-2010, 10:38 PM
so jealous you are going next week, i cant go until summer of 2011 :(

I have to say I wasn't expecting this trip. I do go every year in September, but my birthday was just a couple weeks ago, and my sisters want to take me to Disney as a gift! I certainly can't turn down a gift. :mickey:

DadTriton
04-21-2010, 04:04 PM
I like it - but I am an electrical engineer too. :beaker:
But my kids in general like it. It's a good afternoon show break.
It's like the Great Movie Ride:
Initial waiting area with a movie
Big cars with multiple people
Slow ride through different sets - in this case dinos and nature instead of old movie sets

AXOAlum
04-21-2010, 09:37 PM
It may have been educational about 12 years ago, but it is way past its prime! The information is dated, to say the least, and doesn't address the modern-day issues of fuel consumption. (At least it didn't the last time we rode it about 4 years ago.) The dinos are really cool, but the plastic Ellen in the middle of them looks ridiculous (as does the plastic Sigourney Weaver in TGMR, but that's a different story).

I am afraid of this attraction... afraid I will be BORED to death :blush: But if you haven't experienced it for yourself, then you should give it a try.

cantgetenoughdisney
04-21-2010, 09:54 PM
I happen to thoroughly enjoy the Great Movie Ride. I don't see any resemblance between the two. That beginning to the Ellen show is sooooooooooooooo long. I want to fall asleep before we ever get in the big car.

AXOAlum
04-21-2010, 09:58 PM
I happen to thoroughly enjoy the Great Movie Ride. I don't see any resemblance between the two. That beginning to the Ellen show is sooooooooooooooo long. I want to fall asleep before we ever get in the big car.

Agreed! (The only similarity would be the two terrible AA reproductions - DeGeneres & Weaver.) TGMR is entertaining all the way through (especially if you get a great driver).

PETE FROM NYC
04-24-2010, 09:31 PM
I prefer the original Universe of Energy to the Ellen version. For my two cents, they took a good learning experience and turned it into a joke. Even so , we did it each visit. Except last trip, because the powers that be no longer allow ECVs on the ride.

Olivia's Daddy
04-26-2010, 11:06 AM
It's a break ride for us. 35 minutes sitting down in an air conditioned ride is relaxing. The cars are wide and roomy, I can spread out a bit. I like the dinosaurs too.

Kaps
04-28-2010, 09:10 AM
A little long but worth it if you have not tried it yet.

Narawen
04-28-2010, 11:28 AM
It's not a "must do" for me, but when you're there in the summer and it's hot and miserable you get to sit down in the air conditioning for 45 minutes. I enjoy Ellen.

Superzeus84
04-29-2010, 10:31 PM
There is not enough time in the day for me to express my hatred for this ride.:thedolls:

mermaidmarian
04-30-2010, 08:03 AM
I have enjoyed this ride, but we do not visit every trip any more. I think there is a great deal of content that is dated and I am surprised that there isn't a stronger initiative to update the show.

prttynpnk
04-30-2010, 10:51 AM
We did it maybe 4 years ago and thought an update would not be a bad idea. It does feel like a large chunk of your time is lost in those cars!

disneygirl87
05-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Personally, I don't think Ellen's Energy Adventure is bad. Dated, yes, but not bad. It's one of the few attractions at Epcot that doesn't hide the fact that it's trying to teach you. I like because I'm a big fan of Ellen and Bill Nye and I like to learn. It can be dry at times, but I would recommend riding it at least once and forming your own opinions from that.