PDA

View Full Version : Hoop-Dee-Doo or spirit of Aloha dinner show

DisneyNut6777
04-18-2010, 02:48 PM
If you had to choose between the two, which one and why (show itself, food quality) any info would help us in making a choice thanks so much:mickey: Group attending DW, Myself, Mother-Inlaw, and DW's older Brother.

faline
04-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Hoop de Doo is lots of fun. Yes, the jokes are corny but that's part of the fun! Food is standard - fried chicken. The real attraction here is the show.

The luau is nice and the food is good but, of the two, Hoop de Doo is a favorite and one I would return to while I would not rush back for another look-see at the luau.

mainemajor
04-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Done the luau twice and the Hoop de Doo sev eral times. I think everyone should see them both at least once, but if you have to see only one then my choice for you would be the Hoop de Doo. It's simply more fun. it is also held in an air conditioned building and not subject to cancelation due to the weather. The trip to the Hoop de Doo is a lot of fun in itself while the Luau is a visit to the Poly and a walk. I've taken several nice photos from the boat trip to and from Fort Wilderness.
Whichever you choose ENJOY YOURSELF!

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-18-2010, 09:24 PM
We love HDD and recommend it to everyone!

The food is good, nothing too special, but good (and DH likes the beer refills). The show however, is fabulous. You'll laugh and have a super time!

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-19-2010, 10:47 AM
I voted for HDDR and have never been. I don't think that I've ever read a horrible review on this dinner/show. It is on "the list" of things to do one of these trips when the kids are older....

We went to the Luau on our honeymoon. Honestly, we could have saved our money. You can see the fire dancers at the Fest of the Lion King, and have similar food at other Poly restaruants. I'm a pacific islander so, I'm pretty biased that the show wasn't "like home" - knowing that Disney makes it "disney" luau. The entertainment is ok, the food is ok but, just not good enough to go back.

jnfr2424
04-19-2010, 10:51 AM
We have done both shows and to be honest I don't remember the luau we just kept asking for more food!! The food and drinks are good but the HDD -is the fun show and the fried chicken is addicting I am craving it right now!

PrincessJadesMom
04-19-2010, 10:54 AM
We haven't been to Aloha, but Hoop-Dee-Doo was great! The only "bad" thing about it was that it is FREEZING cold in there. Bring a jacket!!! Even though it was sweltering hot outside, I was wishing I had a coat. The show and food are very good though!:mickey:

LandFan
04-19-2010, 12:00 PM
HDD is MUCH better entertainment and food. The luau has been pretty commercialized (Lilo & stitch) and is really nothing special. As one poster said, you can get better poly food at poly restaurants and see fire dancers at FOTLK soooo.... no real big reason to rush out and spend all that money on it.

CU Tiger
04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Hands down it is HDDR for us!:number1: Better show for the kids, we love the chicken, and good drinks:beer::marg:. :mickey:

Disneypixie513
04-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Another vote for HDD. The show is hilarious and corny, and I love the fried chicken, mashed potatos, and cornbread. :thumbsup:

biodtl
04-19-2010, 01:24 PM
The food is different, but the quality is about the same - good - nothing spectacular. You can get some yummy tropical drinks at the luau, though.

The show, however is MUCH better at Hoop-dee-doo. And I found the service to be a little better at HDD, as well.

disneydad153
04-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Hoopdedoo is the better of the two IMO. We did both on a trip a few years back. Hoopdedoo show was more fun. Food was okay and we sat in the balcony. Nice boat ride to the campground and enjoyed walking around the area after. :thumbsup:

ransam
04-19-2010, 08:30 PM
They are both cool....but.. the luau has really gone down hill. the food is awesome. but the show is like watching a live version of Gidget or something like that....

SingingLights
04-20-2010, 09:40 AM
This is an easy one. The food is good and the entertainment is great. Very interactive and fun for everyone. We recommend it to everyone we know who is going to WDW. We will be there with friends in June.

brivers222
08-17-2010, 09:29 AM
How long are both shows?

GusNJacque
08-17-2010, 10:25 AM
I was leaning toward doing the luau but we are staying at the cabins & I have always loved HDD. So I think you have helped me decide to do HDD! Thanks!

SingingLights
08-17-2010, 11:10 PM
How long are both shows?

We were just at the HDD this June and it was about 90 minutes long. You need to be there early for pictures and check-in. It has been several years since we were at the other show, but I remember it being about the same.

Hope that helps.

Tinker Fan
08-18-2010, 03:41 PM
The Spirit of Aloha!!!!!!:mickey:

kdsjjb
08-19-2010, 11:14 AM
There's always one ^^^ ;)

We did the luau once. Once.

We do HDDR every year now. Food is good, show is great. Kids are now 19, 16, 13 and they vote to go every trip. Going on 6 years now, I think.

Dsnygirl
08-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks for this poll -- I was debating b/w the two for our next trip, but not anymore! Sounds like we would all, esp. my DD's, enjoy the HDDR more this time. Thanks!

:thanks:

marlyn
08-20-2010, 10:28 PM
I have done both...I enjoyed them both, but my kids were quite young when we went. They are now 15. I have the Luau booked already for our trip next week, and now I wonder if I should have booked Hoop Dee Doo...I'm not big on fried chicken and ribs and thought I would prefer the food at Luau. Yikes.....what to do?:confused:

kemps@wdw
08-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Another nod for the HDDMR. If you notice my signature, it indicates how many times we've been. The show today is still the same as it was in 1980, the jokes are still just as corny, the Pioneer Hall Players still look the same (we even noticed that a few years in a row, they WERE the same), the food is still just as good and plentiful, and for some reason, we still are gonna back again this year. It is one of the few MUST-DOs for us each visit. If you go, talk to the Pioneer PLayers as they work the room about getting one of your party (children or adult) in the show, and get your camcorder ready, cause you'll be in for a real treat! :thumbsup:

brivers222
08-27-2010, 11:19 AM
I've been to Luau recently as 5/06 and I had a great time... HDDR was a childhood experience about 20 years ago or so...

I decided for my fiancee and myself we would do both this trip and make it special. Can't pass the included :beer:!