PDA

View Full Version : Would you split your resorts to stay at a resort for just one day?

wdwluv
04-17-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't think we'll ever be able to afford to stay at the Disney Beach or Yacht Club's for our stay.

We have one 4 day reservation at POR, and added a day at POR - so we have two separation reservations. (offer changed before we added the day. DOH!)

The pools at the Beach/Yacht clubs are supposed to be the best - so I'm thinking of going there for that one extra/last day. I know many of you split your stay between two resorts. Would it be crazy to go for just one day? We'd spend that day at the pool all day.

(though after reading your responses to my best kid pool questions - someone pointed out that it is hard to keep track of kids at the Beach/Yacht club pools)

Amy_617
04-17-2010, 12:21 PM
I prolly would try it! You said you are going to make use of the resort amenties, so it's prolly worth it. It would come down to (for me) how much extra money i'd have to dish out.

We are doing a split stay for the first time next month. We have never stayed at BC either so we are looking forward to our stay at BCV!

Have fun! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
04-17-2010, 12:27 PM
We've done that before and it was not difficult. Once we decided to arrive a day early because our kids had the pirate adventure cruise at CBR the day of arrival. It was the only day I could get the little cruise so we needed to be in WDW the night before so we booked AKL for our first night. We had a wonderful 1/2 day and night there. The kids enjoyed the pool for hours, we brought them to the afternoon activity/craft, they enjoyed story telling out back by the firepit, participated in the african instrument parade, played checkers in the gift shop, enjoyed a CS dinner, watched animals on the savannah, got to look at animals with the night vision goggles, and swam again before bedtime. It was a very magical way to start our vacation, and it would be a fun way to end one. We are doing the same thing in June. My SIL and her family have always wanted to stay at WL one day. So we are all arriving a day early and we'll spend the day at the pool, and have ressies for WCC for dinner. Then next morning we'll switch over to the Poly and they'll head to POR. We've stayed at WL before and loved it so we are excited to spend that one night there with them. I think you'll enjoy the extra day in WDW, and a day relaxing at a wonderful resort and wonderful pool is just an added bonus.

mouseketeer mom
04-17-2010, 01:28 PM
We used to split stays to try new resorts, but I'm well over it. Unless your a super light packer and super duper organized, I'd vote against it. We are a family of five, and moving takes a whole lot more time than you think. We tend to immediately "move in" and spread out and leaving takes some work. Plus, your room may not be ready, so you have to bag a day bag, then organize the new room. It's just not for me anymore. Plus, I'm well settled into the resort we love, the Polynesian. No other resort has compared or felt like home to us, so thats where we'll stay.

buzznwoodysmom
04-17-2010, 04:04 PM
We used to split stays to try new resorts, but I'm well over it. Unless your a super light packer and super duper organized, I'd vote against it. We are a family of five, and moving takes a whole lot more time than you think. We tend to immediately "move in" and spread out and leaving takes some work. Plus, your room may not be ready, so you have to bag a day bag, then organize the new room. It's just not for me anymore. Plus, I'm well settled into the resort we love, the Polynesian. No other resort has compared or felt like home to us, so thats where we'll stay.

This is very true also. I think doing a half stay at one resort and a half stay at another resort is what's the hardest. Then you feel you have to pack, unpack, pack, unpack, and it can take up time. However, if its just one night at the beginning or end of a trip its not as bad. You just make sure if its the first night you have an overnight bag packed and only need to go into that one bag. If its at the end of your trip, when packing up your room, you pack your over night bag then. Its just easier if you can fit everything for everyone into one bag for that one night. It makes life easier. We've done it all different ways, splits half way through a vacation, first night one place then move to our other place, or added on an extra night at a different place at the end of a trip. I feel like the first night at a different resort is easiest. The hardest was the half way split. I still think its a great way to check out a resort you either can't afford a full week off, or a resort you just aren't sure of. Good luck.

jillluvsdisney
04-17-2010, 07:26 PM
I would split a stay but not for one day. I wouldn't be able to relax enough to enjoy it. We are doing our first split this August. # nights at POP so we can then stay 5 nights at AKL.

iheartdisney
04-17-2010, 08:37 PM
We've split our stays before and at Disney it is soooo easy! Especially if you're doing it just for one night at the end or beginning of your trip. We tend to keep our things in the suitcase so "packing up" is not hard at all. Disney will move your bags for you while you go play at the parks. When you're ready to check in my only suggestion would be to plan on dinner at the resort so you're there for the rest of the day. Or, as you said, check-in and just play at the resort for the rest of the day. Beach Club Resort is one of our family's favorites. There is so much to do with EPCOT within walking distance and Boardwalk restaurants and entertainment just across the bay. You'll have a fabulous time!

GrmGrninGost
04-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Sure, we've done this just to scope out a resort for a possible longer stay later. It can be fun! :mickey:

cinderellagrl
04-18-2010, 11:55 AM
I think it sounds like a great idea! You don't have to "un-pack" on that last day, just place needed things in an easily reachable spot. A final day to swim and relax sounds like a wonderful way to end a vacation to Disney! I say go for it!

Pocahontas
04-20-2010, 05:08 PM
The only thing that would worry me is that you are planning that one day to spend all day at the pool and what if the weather doesn't cooperate? If you were splitting time there and could stay a couple days I would feel that it was less of a weather gamble.

mattandmandy
04-20-2010, 08:51 PM
A couple of years ago, we had a lot of our budgeted money left over at the end of the trip and had a day to spare since we drove so we checked out of Caribbean Beach Resort on our scheduled day and stayed at Animal K.L. for just one night. We had a savanna view and bunk beds for the kids and we had a blast. We sure did enjoy our 1 night there and don't regret spending the extra money for it!

Mousemates
04-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Yep....sure would...in fact we've done it...my advice thou is to make it a special stay at a special place with a special view. Say at the CR in the tower with a MK view OR a savannah view room at the AKL OR a water view room (looking towards Epcot) at the Yacht Club...use it as a splurge and a time to decompress (i.e. don't go park running, but stay at the resort, explore, and enjoy the pool and scenery).

DVC2004
04-21-2010, 08:40 AM
I would and I have. It's just a little extra work to pack up and move.

Seasonscraps
04-21-2010, 09:41 AM
I think it sounds like a great idea! You don't have to "un-pack" on that last day, just place needed things in an easily reachable spot. A final day to swim and relax sounds like a wonderful way to end a vacation to Disney! I say go for it!

ITA!! It sounds like a lot of fun!! :number1:

TheVBs
04-21-2010, 09:42 AM
It sounds like it's worth it to you to try and that's all that matters. :mickey:

I know we wouldn't try it. I can't imagine spending the time to get ourselves and all our stuff to another hotel. We drive though, so we bring a lot and we also spread out once we hit the room. So that's really just a personal preference.

wdwluv
04-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks so much everyone!

Gosh - the weather factor - that never even occurred to me!

Hmmmm....I was thinking of calling and changing our reservation ahead of time....but maybe I should keep our day at our current resort. (POR) And change it once we see how the weather plays out? Can I change it while I'm on my stay? And I'd like to go off my MYW plan for that day. Can I drop a day off my current - and book a separate one day for that last day while I'm there?

KylesMom
04-21-2010, 11:39 AM
I would not wait until you're down there to change a room reservation if you're going to do so. First, any special rates that they are running now may not be available when you arrive in Orlando. Availability at your second hotel stay may also be in jeopardy due to occupancy rates. Lastly, the counter CMs at the hotels will not be able to help you. You'll need to call the travel line & do everything via phone. I don't know if you've purchased a package, but they can charge you a change fee if you're within 45 days or such of arrival for alterations to your reservation.

I would definitely get this decision squared away & make plans before you leave. I know you want surprises, but it wouldn't be a good surprise if it doesn't work out the way you want it to.

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-21-2010, 11:44 AM
I would do it if it were DH and I or our kids were older.

My 5 and 2 year old are very much creatures of habit. While sleeping somewhere new is a thrill, the new setting can be trying on them. We had the same dilema - splitting a stay between AKL and BLT in October. And we decided for all of our anxiety levels, staying in one place was the best decision for our family.

Now, if it were just DH and I, well, that's another story! We'd do a split stay in a second. :thumbsup:

kathiep
04-21-2010, 12:54 PM
We've done this before as DH has made it his mission to stay at each Disney hotel at least once. Our normal schedule has us arriving around noon. What we've been doing is arriving at the 1-night hotel on that day. We don't do any parks that day; we simply explore and enjoy the resort. We pack in preparation for this. We have one duffel bag that contains everything our family will need for that day, through the night and to get ready the next morning. That way we really don't have to do any packing & unpacking. It's worked out well for us so far.

Dickson Thunder
04-25-2010, 01:27 PM
I would go for it! It sounds like a fun way to end your vacation. One year we stayed the first night at the Contemporary (in the tower) in order to see the MK fireworks on the 4th of July and then moved to the Wilderness Lodge for the rest of our trip.

:party:

klb
05-02-2010, 03:13 AM
Hi Dawn. I hope you have a wonderful Disney birthday celebration!!

We're also thinking about splitting between two hotels. We won't have a car so my concern is how to coordinate getting our luggage (including some medical equipment) between hotels. Am I correct in assuming that we would take it on the busses with us, or is this something that the hotels take care of? This is new territory for us, so any advice is much appreciated. Thanks to you all!

wdwluv
05-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm no help in that regard. We've decided to rent a car. We are doing only one park day. And spending the rest of the time at our resort pools and dining at other resorts. We hear resort to resort travel via Disney busses can be a hassle, (resort to park is usually pretty smooth I hear) so with our one day at the Beach club we'll have a car to transport our luggage.