PDA

View Full Version : Astro Orbiter-Funny Story

Rekenna
04-17-2010, 11:03 AM
So DH and I went to MK a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to ride Astro Orbiter, I had never rode this, if you can believe it. So DH rolls his eyes, and we wait in line forever to go up the elevator.

So we are just about to get on and they are loading the ride with the group in front of us. Some poor kid is really nervous and :sick: in his rocket. So the CM's try covering it up, what a mess. So the ride takes off, you can smell the :sick: wafting by every time the rocket sails past.

So now it is our turn, I inadvertenly sit behind the :sick: rocket-great! So we take off and I am encased in the aroma of :sick:. So I lift my rocket way high to get around the smell. Well, let me tell you-I've wanted to ride this ride at night forever to see the lights. This ride scared the [you know what] out of me! The rocket was tilting and was so, so high, I was truly freaked.

So we get off and DH asks how I liked it and I said never again! DH still makes fun of me for this. Does anyone else have a Astro Orbiter funny story? :mickey:

divinedi
04-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Never been on it, too scary and high for me, but cute story!! Glad you enjoyed it!! ;)

DNS
04-17-2010, 11:44 AM
I have never been on it either. I didn't realize you could control the up's and down's. I'm afraid that smell would have made me :sick:

green ranger
04-17-2010, 12:07 PM
I rode it for the first time since I was a kid this past summer. I rode it with my DH, DS5, and DD4 who were all on it for the first time. I was screaming my head off! My DS was laughing so hard at me. Of course the more I screamed, the higher he kept the ship up in the air. We did it at night time too and it was amazing to see the park at night from up there, but it goes around sooooo fast!

wdwluv
04-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Been going to MK since I was a kid and have never been on either! When you started your post I thought it's time to get on there! But now by your post I fear I shouldn't!

DisneyNut6777
04-17-2010, 12:20 PM
LOL What a great story. Sorry about the :sick:
it would have made me even more:ill:. Hope the kid hadn't been tipping back:marg: I rode the Astro Orbiter when I was young around 15 or so, I am 43 now and there is now way you would get me on that thing again. Glad to say I have done it, and will never forget it. I realized soon enough about the up and down buttons, and after I found them and went up, my finger never left the down button, as I cowered inside waiting for the ride to stop... My DW and I visited in 2009 ( her first time) she loved it, and I watched safely from below...:D

PiratesCove
04-17-2010, 12:44 PM
I don't really have a funny about it, but it does make me a little nervous when I ride it. For those of you who haven't ridden it before, ya gotta try it ONCE! (Except don't ask me to ride Mission Space once..:blush:)

Amy_617
04-17-2010, 01:12 PM
My DH and I rode it for the first time about 4 years ago. When had trouble getting the both os us in it to begin with. I'm 5'8 160lbs and hubby is 6'5 230 lbs. So we cramed our buts into the "rocket", but then couldn't get to the seatbelt to fasten it. The cm seen us cramed in there and came over. We explained to her what was going on with the seat belt, hoping she would help us out. To our shock, she said "you'll be fine, yall won't go anywhere!" and started up the ride......WITHOUT buckling our seat belts!!! :jaw: Lets just say that was the scarest ride I had ever been on! We were freaking out the entire ride... :paranoid: .....and we haven't been back since! :bolt:

MinnieMommie
04-17-2010, 02:21 PM
I love your story!! Thanks for sharing it. :mickey:

I am a big Astro Orbiter fan. DH will not go on and my children with the exception of the youngest will not wait in line to ride. She and I are the only ones who will run to Astro Orbiter as soon as the park opens and prioritize this ride above SM and some of the others.

Well years ago I did not like to stay up at the highest point. My little daughter would sit in front and work the controls and shoot it straight up while sitting behind I would beg her to lower it. She would laugh and laugh the entire ride while I felt a bit of terror.

I have had some really nice experiences while on Astro Orbiter. I have caught Wishes while riding high under the moonlight (with my little daughter) and have had some of the best views of the park day and night. I'm braver now and when I ride alone I hit that button and enjoy my view from the the highest point.

There is a long wait and it is a short ride. Try to catch the ride early in the morning (first hour) or during the fireworks. I have had luck during both times and try to ride a few times in a row when the line is short. :mickey:

DisneyFr33k
04-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Did it once.... and I had to eventually shut my eyes to keep the nausea down. I get :sick: on rides that go around and around.... even Cindy's carosel!!

#1donaldfan
04-18-2010, 09:03 AM
...I LOVE IT !!!! YEAH !!:thumbsup:

pink
04-18-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm about seven years older than my younger brother. One night we went to MK and he was begging to go on the Astro Orbiter. I rolled my eyes because I tought it was just a different looking Dumbo ride. So I trudged on with him and I was SO SCARED. I didn't realize how high it was, I couldn't wait for it to be over. I ended up being the big chicken and he loved it. I have never rode it again to this day! :mickey:

In my dreams
04-18-2010, 06:29 PM
A very long time ago my kids who I believe were 11 and 8 at thetime wanted to go on the TTA. I actually was having a VERYhard time finding the entrance un til "finally" "here it is kids, we just have to go up this elevator". So when the doors to the elevator opened and my DS 8 ( who never was and still isn't an adventurous rider) saw that we were right there and ready to board the Astro Orbitor just about "lost it". My DD 11 was estatic. I rode with her, ( hated it ) and DS waited off to the side.

PS> DS's last trip in 06 I made him ride EE!!!! He still doesn't know if he enjoyed it and would do it again - he's taller than me now so I don't think I could make him ride anything anymore:)

mainemajor
04-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Been there, done that and I agree it was NOT FUN. No need to ever go back up that elevator ever. EVER!

Lakin
04-18-2010, 06:55 PM
My DH and I rode it for the first time about 4 years ago. When had trouble getting the both os us in it to begin with. I'm 5'8 160lbs and hubby is 6'5 230 lbs. So we cramed our buts into the "rocket", but then couldn't get to the seatbelt to fasten it. The cm seen us cramed in there and came over. We explained to her what was going on with the seat belt, hoping she would help us out. To our shock, she said "you'll be fine, yall won't go anywhere!" and started up the ride......WITHOUT buckling our seat belts!!! :jaw: Lets just say that was the scarest ride I had ever been on! We were freaking out the entire ride... :paranoid: .....and we haven't been back since! :bolt:

*gasp* You'd think that would go against safety laws!

gollybass
04-19-2010, 03:37 AM
I went on it 14 years ago, in the rain and loved it!

mjm12000
04-20-2010, 03:44 PM
My sister is a rather large lady, topping way over 300lbs, and all hips... so we decide to go on the astro-orbitor. She got into her rocket relatively ok, as gravity tends to help you to sit down... but when the ride was over and the rocket comes down and is at the terrible angle leaning outward when you land.. the poor girl could not unwedge her hips and was not strong enough to lift herself up with her arms to then swing a leg out.. .suffice to say after me and the CM took about 5 minutes we finally managed to help her out of the car... embarrassing for her yes... funny for everyone watching yes... heck even she was laughing, which I am sure did not help us in getting her out of the car as we all know how hard it is to do something while laughing...

homeschool mom
04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
No funny stories, but I'll never ride it again. Once was enough! We rode when our children were younger. Our 3 DDs rode together and DH and I rode with our 2 little DSs. I was so afraid I would lose my DS out of the rocket, I vowed never to get on it again.

LauraByTheSea
04-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Well, let me tell you-I've wanted to ride this ride at night forever to see the lights. This ride scared the [you know what] out of me! The rocket was tilting and was so, so high, I was truly freaked.

Yep, same thing happened to me... Waited in line forever, at night, then got freaked out. I held the controller thingy forward to stay down and closed my eyes. Never again! DH will never let me live it down.

plutosnana
04-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Never been on it, too scary and high for me, but cute story!! Glad you enjoyed it!! ;)
O same here! I tried it before though...VERY bumpy!

Djscherr
04-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I still remember my first time riding it, or rather the elevator ride up to the top. I was 9 at the time and my old brother went up with me (he was 12). The elevator ride brings us up, the doors open and right there is a huge roach. We had never seen one before and this thing was big and we were freaked out! The poor cast member tried to get us past it but we weren't having anything to do with it. I still can't remember whether we rode or not, but I still remember that huge roach waiting for us.

Ropachs
04-23-2010, 03:53 PM
In all my trips, I had never rode it either! I think it looked to high and scary when I was younger. Anyway, I finally rode it, and I liked it - just too long to wait in line - so probably won't do it again.

I do have a funny story though it's about my in-laws trip, not mine. My MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL, and 2 kids rode it last Fall. Somehow the count or something was off or the kids wanted to ride with certain people, I don't remember. But it came down to my MIL with bad knees and BIL needing to ride together and they just couldn't fit/get in the seat. So the CM apologized, my MIL didn't ride, and everyone was given a ticket for popcorn. That's right, SIX popcorns, and this happened to be hours before they were coming home. Sooooooo...they know I love WDW popcorn and they had Tupperware with them, so that was a tasty souvenier for ME!!