PDA

View Full Version : "Real" MK Opening Time

CuteAsMinnie
04-16-2010, 08:04 AM
Hi All

I remember "back in the day" the scheduled opening time for MK was seldom the actual opening time...Mickey would open the park early based on....how he was feeling that morning?? idk.

We are coming back in June and we have never seen the actual opening ceremony and rope drop. Since our kids are older and this may be our last trip for some time :( this is something we really want to do. So....

What time do you REALLY have to arrive at MK to be one of the first ones at the rope? And, where does the rope drop these days?

Thanks a bunch!:mickey:

Strmchsr
04-16-2010, 09:29 AM
The MK has a fun opening ceremony that happens exactly at the posted time (usually 9 am). Mickey and crew ride in on the train and drop some pixie dust along with a little show. They pick one family to be the honorary "openers" for the day. So, you want to get there a few minutes early to be able to see, but I usually show up by 8:45 or so and can see just fine.

passholderryan
04-16-2010, 10:21 AM
I was there for it this past Sunday and it got started at about 8:50. They didnt let anyone in until the confetti popped. Right on time at 9am

hauntedmansiongirl
04-16-2010, 08:22 PM
One other great thing about the MK opening ceremony is that it is the only time that you get to see the "Lilly Belle" steam train (unless you go on the Behind the Steam Trains tour). It is an older train with open seats (ie. no railings on bars to block people from falling out). This was the highlight of our trip for my Father in Law. If you get there by 8:45am you'll definitely see the show. Have a great time! :mickey:

Nascfan
04-16-2010, 09:18 PM
And don't be the first ones, actually "at the rope". If you are, you are kind of under the show and you won't see anything. Be a bit further back so you can see the train pull in and the characters.

drosenbe
04-17-2010, 10:59 PM
There might be 2 'openings' depending upon EMHs.

Yes, in the good old days (pre 9/11) the parks would reliably open 1/2 hour earlier than the posted hours. On really crowded days, the entire park would be open, otherwise they would let you to the central hub of each park.

The opening show at the MK happens before opening time (probably ~10 minutes). I would get to the gate 1/2 early to be near the front, but not too close if you want to see the show.

wendybird
04-18-2010, 02:26 AM
Where is the show ? Is it at the front gate before you go in or at the rope drop before you leave Main St,??:confused:

Strmchsr
04-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Where is the show ? Is it at the front gate before you go in or at the rope drop before you leave Main St,??:confused:

You see it from just below the train station right after you go through the turnstile. Don't worry. You can't miss it.

LauraByTheSea
04-18-2010, 10:42 AM
We were just there and specifically went an hour early so we could get our tickets and get there to see the opening ceremoy. They didn't even open the gates at the TTC until 8:55. Then the Monorail was down, so we had to take a bus over. By the time we got there, the ceremony was done and the gates open. :(