PDA

View Full Version : DVC to permit purchase of one time use points

DVC Mike
04-15-2010, 11:58 AM
from dvcmember.com

New option offers alternative to borrowing vacation points

Disney Vacation Club® has created a convenient new solution for Members who find themselves in need of additional vacation points to book a reservation.

This new option, designed as an alternative to borrowing from next year's allotment, allows Members the option of paying for a one-time assignment of as many as 24 vacation points from Disney Vacation Development, Inc., for $15 a vacation point ($13.33 plus $1.67 tax) to complete their reservation. (A receipt is available upon request.)

Members may use these vacation points to book Disney Vacation Club Resorts, Disney Collection Resorts, Disney Cruise Line® voyages, Adventures by Disney experiences and World Passport Collection resorts.

Note that this option is available once each use year, and the transferred vacation points are assigned only for the specific use year and therefore expire when used.

Details:

One-time-use vacation points are vacation points available for Disney Vacation Club Members to use as an alternative to borrowing vacation points from the following use year's allotment.
You can obtain a maximum of 24 one-time-use vacation points once per use year per membership.
A maximum of 24 one-time-use vacation points are processed in a single transaction, not multiple transactions.
The fee for one-time-use vacation points is $15 (including tax) per vacation point, and is subject to change.
One-time-use vacation points expire according to the use year of the reservation booked and are non-refundable, non-transferable and cannot be banked or borrowed.
One-time-use vacation points are not available for waitlist reservations.
One-time-use vacation points cannot be applied retroactively to existing reservations.
One-time-use vacation points are only available for Members whose contract is closed and in good standing.
One-time-use vacation points are available only for Disney Vacation Club, Disney Collection, Adventurer Collection and World Passport Collection reservations.
One-time-use vacation points used for Disney Vacation Club resort reservations can only be used up to 7 months prior to arrival.
One-time-use vacation points for Disney Collection, Adventurer Collection and World Passport reservations can be used according to the booking guidelines for each individual collection.

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-15-2010, 01:36 PM
This is great! There have been a few times where we needed just a few more points to get what we really wanted. We could have used this for our upcoming trip. We only needed 10 more points to get 2 Savannah view rooms.

Dyanna
04-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Love it!

peemagg
04-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Awesome!!!!

diz_girl
04-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Great idea! Why didn't they do that sooner? I guess that they realized that they might make more money if they rented their developer points than having DVC members go somewhere else to rent points.

I'm just not clear about the statement, "One-time-use vacation points used for Disney Vacation Club resort reservations can only be used up to 7 months prior to arrival." Maybe my brain isn't processing this statement correctly, but does that mean that you can't rent points from DVC from the 11-month mark to the 7-month mark? Do you have to wait until the 7-month mark to rent the points? If so, don't you then lose your home resort advantage and might miss out on the reservation anyway. So you would then need to either borrow or rent points anyway. Maybe someone can clarify this for me. Thanks.

VWL Mom
04-16-2010, 10:42 AM
I would read that as can be used anytime prior to 7 month mark so it would be home resort only. IMO this is a way for them to try and make amends to those people who bought and then had their point values increase in 2010 and 2011.

DVC2004
04-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Seems like a good idea. My guess is that they are losing alot not being able to fill up the developer inventory.

DizneyRox
04-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Yes, I was just going to say, this will certainly help eliminate the amount of money they lose to inventory just sitting there unsold, etc. Probably the number of foreclosuers due to the economy has put a lof of what the had sold back in their hands and they need to spin it as a positive.

Me thinks this would also help them keep the costs in resale from really going downhill, as they can buy back a whole contract and sell the point immediately and not have to unload it back on a guest for a year (or more) before the maintenance fees start eroding away at their profits.

This really should help folks that didn't plan well and need just a few extra at times to complete a vacation. At $!5 a point though, it's still cheaper to turn to other members, even if it's just for a few.

Prior to 7 months of arrival - Home resort stays with the points. What this means is, they only allow you to rent points within the 7 month window. This lets them to use extra WL points for a AKL stay, or extra HHI points for a BWV stay. Gives them a better way to manage extra points. They may not have any BLT points at 10 months out, but at 6 months, they can use whatever inventory they have anywhere in the system.

No, you didn't lose your home resort priority, you didn't have enough points to stay there anyway. Nothing lost in reality...

VWL Mom
04-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Prior to 7 months of arrival - Home resort stays with the points. What this means is, they only allow you to rent points within the 7 month window. This lets them to use extra WL points for a AKL stay, or extra HHI points for a BWV stay. Gives them a better way to manage extra points. They may not have any BLT points at 10 months out, but at 6 months, they can use whatever inventory they have anywhere in the system.

No, you didn't lose your home resort priority, you didn't have enough points to stay there anyway. Nothing lost in reality...

Ok, now I take back my prior post. This way makes good sense. MS wording is within 7 month window which is a whole better perk than I had.

seanyred
04-16-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm more confused about this next statment:

One-time-use vacation points are only available for Members whose contract is closed and in good standing.

Does that mean if you are currently financing your DVC purchase that this option won't be available to you until you are paid in full?

WishesFan13
04-16-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure about the contract being closed part, but i thought it was just saying you can't rent the points if your late on annual dues or monthly payments. Not sure though.

DVC2004
04-16-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm more confused about this next statment:

Does that mean if you are currently financing your DVC purchase that this option won't be available to you until you are paid in full?

No- closed contract means the deed has been recorded. It doesn't matter how you paid- after you sign the docs they go to be recorded in FL. Generally this is 45 -60 days after the docs are signed. You don't have to be paid in full.

MinnieMommie
04-17-2010, 06:39 AM
I like the idea of being able to purchase up to 24 pts each year. So far I have had enough vacation pts for my trips but really at $15 a point members can stay at a discounted rate. I would consider doing this if I needed to. :mickey:

seanyred
04-17-2010, 10:39 AM
No- closed contract means the deed has been recorded. It doesn't matter how you paid- after you sign the docs they go to be recorded in FL. Generally this is 45 -60 days after the docs are signed. You don't have to be paid in full.

thanks...that makes more sense to me. This is something I probably would do if needed, it would make it easier to tack on that extra night.

DizneyFreak2002
04-17-2010, 07:19 PM
I think I like this idea... Last year, I was a tad confused when I booked a week at the Tree Houses and a week at Bay Lake.. I wound up having to borrow 25 points from my 2010 100 point allotment for Bay Lake to use for 2009.... Now this year, I have 75 points for 2010 on my Bay Lake contract for this year, which I transferred to 2011... if they had this option last year, I wouldn't have to borrow any points...

DizneyRox
04-17-2010, 07:33 PM
You would have had to borrow one point. Limit of 24 points with this "perk".

disneydad153
04-19-2010, 06:48 PM
I think this is a great idea. I was going to have to borrow points for a 2011 big family trip and then take a shorter one with just us in 2012. No I don't have to worry about it. I can get the few points I need and just split the cost between the others. It may cost a few bucks more but for me the ease of going through Disney DVC instead of a private seller is worth it, IMO.:mickey:

PlutoPlanet
04-20-2010, 12:05 PM
I like this. I wish we could buy more than 24 points for a contract year.