PDA

View Full Version : If one choice - Sci Fi or Prime Time

wdwluv
04-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Love your input in addition to your vote! :mickey:

Ricbr
04-14-2010, 10:23 AM
I hear prime time is nice....I never have gone there personally.

I have gone to Sci Fi and it was ok. A great theme for the resturant...but we didnt have the best service. It took about a good 2 hours to get through our meal because of slow service. If that got better I would recommend them. But if I had my choice again I would go with Prime time based on others comments for that resturant.

If you have kids I would think that either would be a good choice in terms of the theme and the type of food.

mouseketeer mom
04-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Sci-Fi. Here's why.
How unique of an enviornment can you get? It's a one of a kind place, sitting in a car, watching crazy movies, sipping a great milkshake and yummy food. It's such a fun, feel good place that you can't get anywhere.
Prime Time is fun, but it's hit or miss, depending on the server you get, and we've had some real duds. Plus, kids don't really get the impact of the kitchy decor like us grown ups do.
Sci fi hands down. We were there last week again and loved every minute of it. Love walking out of the dark into the bright sun too. Lots of fun.

TheDuckRocks
04-14-2010, 10:39 AM
If you have never been to either of them, I would go to Sci Fi Dine In. The whole drive-in experience is a hoot and we have never gotten bad food or service there as others do report. To be fair we also enjoy 50s Prime Time Cafe, I don't think you will be unhappy with either choice.

Tygger7
04-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Another vote for Sci Fi for the reasons mentioned above. You just can't beat the theming/interior, and while the food is nothing fancy, I'd say it's very comparable to Prime Time.

jnfr2424
04-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Sci Fi for the reasons already mentioned and as a bonus I would stop in at the Tune In Lounge(adjacent to 50's Prime Time) and have a drink! :thumbsup:

wdwluv
04-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I hadn't planned on doing any sit-down dinners at Hollywood - just Pizza Planet. (I have 3 kids) But just the other day my girls mentioned how fun it would be to eat at a drive in!!! I don't think they had any idea about Sci-Fi when they mentioned it!! This is what made me reconsider a sit-down. Like some of the responses I wonder if the kids will really "get" Prime Time, even though I've heard some good reviews of it.

Thanks so much to everyone for your input!
Every opinion helps! (I tried to make this a poll too, but it puked out on me for some reason)

SBETigg
04-14-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm not into the whole Prime-time deal and my kids never liked the look of the place (we peeked in once, never ate there) and didn't like the sound of it. So, we've only been to Sci-Fi. But we actually had a good meal (burgers, soup, sandwiches, shakes-- lunch stuff) with good service and a fun time. The kids loved the atmosphere. We all had fun. I would go back, not every trip but now and then.

SingingLights
04-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Our family is divided on these two resturants. I love the Prime Time and the girls love Sci Fi. You can't go wrong with either of them.

Have a great time.:thumbsup:

Kaps
04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
We prefer the Sci fi dinner over prime time.

MOJoe
04-14-2010, 11:23 AM
We love 50's Prime Time for the interaction with the CM's and even more so for the food.

We love Sci-Fi for the one-of-a-kind theme. And the milkshakes.

Try em both.

joonyer
04-14-2010, 11:43 AM
For Lunch; I'd choose Sci-Fi Dine-In. Great burgers, onion rings and shakes.

For Dinner; I'd opt for the 50's Prime-time Cafe

wdwluv
04-14-2010, 12:05 PM
oooo - knowing you liked the lunch better is good help. if we did it I was gonna go for dinner! :thumbsup:

MMFreak
04-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Prime Time :thumbsup:

BW Fan
04-14-2010, 12:31 PM
SciFi atmosphere is unique, but food is only so-so (basic hamburger and fries)

Prime time is also unique atmosphere, just not as over the top unique as SciFi, but the food is MUCH better. Their pot roast is to die for, their fried chicken is great, and their desserts are wondeful (best SMORES on property).

So it comes down to what type of experience are you looking for - good food, or extreme theme setting.
:mickey:

DonaldsBFF
04-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Been to both restaurants and I would say that we like Sci-Fi better. The reason is better atmosphere and better food. We have done the PT twice now and while the decor is nice as it reminds me of being a kid at my grandparents house the food has not been very good either time. Of all the WDW restaurants this is only the 2nd that I would have said that about, the other being Boma. I am glad we ate there but would probably not go back.

jodijo
04-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Well, this is a hard one.

We loved the comfort food at Prime Time. However, my husband was humiliated when the waitress made a big deal (to the entire restaurant) over the fact that he did not eat his veggies. I thought it was funny but he hated it and will never go back.

Sci Fi has a great atmosphere but the food is just ok. We tried the hamburgers and chicken fingers and they were never that great - IMO!

So, good luck with your decision. I am sure no matter what you pick, it will be fine. How could it not be? After all, you will be at WDW! :mickey:

jenperich
04-14-2010, 01:47 PM
No doubt about it...Sci Fi would be my choice. As people have said, the atmosphere is out of this world. Sitting in the cars...in the dark, during the hot daytime is SOOO fun!!

I have been there at least three times and have had very good food there every single time. The milkshakes are DELICIOUS!!

You will NOT be disappointed if you go Sci-Fi. Have a great time!

Rekenna
04-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Been to both. Food and service were better at Prime Time. I will say the themeing is equally fun at both.

Have fun!:mickey:

jlmct52
04-14-2010, 02:16 PM
This is a tough question!

I absolutely love the atmosphere at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Restaurant, but the food leaves a little to be desired. The atmosphere is not as exciting at the 50's Prime Time Cafe, but the food is (IMO) much better.

My final choice, however, would be Sci-Fi Dine-In. The small sacrifice in food is more than made up for by the amazing atmosphere.

renecat
04-14-2010, 02:17 PM
We have never don SciFi. Prime Time is always a must do for us. It is hit and miss with what CM you get but the food is great.

Beauty908
04-14-2010, 04:30 PM
I have not eaten at PrimeTime, but Sci-fi was not a great experience. My WDW class had a chance to help with a dining review at Sci-fi, and it was terrible.

The theming is really great, but i feel like it contradicts what Disney's goal is: Family spending time together. It was very difficult to have conversation with the group because we are sat in pairs facing a direction. The appetizers are pretty good, but the actual food could be better. The waitress got my order wrong. Everyone faces a big screen that shows old cartoons--the loop of cartoons needs to be longer. i think prime time would be more fun!

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Sci-fi - you'll not find this theming anywhere else. While the food is not STELLAR, I love appetizers and this is the type of place I would order appetizers for my meal and be very happy.

Prime Time - It was OK both times we went. You can find this theme else where - just go eat with your parents or the in-laws to get someone else to cook and tell you how to behave :D

brownie
04-16-2010, 07:38 AM
My choice would be the Sci-Fi Dine-in though I've never been to Prime Time Cafe. Sci-Fi Dine-in had decent sandwiches and good shakes. I liked the atmosphere of the place, too.

GrmGrninGost
04-17-2010, 10:43 AM
We love Prime Time! :mickey: We loathe Sci-Fi! :ack: Any questions? :confused:

beksy
04-17-2010, 10:46 PM
I've never been to sci-fi but we love 50's Prime Time. The decor, servers, and food are all great! Last time we went once and then two days later Mom wanted to go back!

Belster
04-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Sci-Fi hands down. We have been to both several times and we just love Sci Fi. The theme is really fun...and the food is much better there.

Goota love the cars and the movie reel. :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
04-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Prime Time - the food is much better :mickey:

Jillirose
04-18-2010, 12:04 PM
SCI-FI

It's been 9 years straight, and it's the first one that everyone suggests when I book ADR's. We thought the food was better this FEB, other times it's been average... BUt, as someone mentioned, you cannot beat the atmosphere! In fact, for my daughter's 15th birthday, we are having a SCI-FI theme and showing some of those crazy old movies!!

wdwluv
04-19-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks SO MUCH everyone!

I think atmosphere is what we are most aiming for with the kiddos. And of course as long as they have some chicken nuggets they are happy! :-P

I've heard some talk about people sitting IN your car with you. With a party of 5 will that happen for us?

RAIDER
04-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Another vote for Sci Fi ...basically the atmosphere is so unique :thumbsup:

jnfr2424
04-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Everyone faces a big screen that shows old cartoons--the loop of cartoons needs to be longer.

But that is the whole point of Sci fi to show short movie reels just like they were at real Drive In.
IMO I would take the short movies then be humiliated by a CM because I did not eat all my veggies

wdwluv
04-19-2010, 11:12 AM
I thought it was just cartoons - did I read there are also old scary movie clips? Which of course, would make sense since it's SCI - FI ...but anybody's kids ever scared by them? (3, 6, 9 - and the 6, 9 are girls and can be scared still)

DisneyFr33k
04-19-2010, 12:26 PM
So it comes down to what type of experience are you looking for - good food, or extreme theme setting.
:mickey:

Oh so true. We were turned off to Sci Fi - dark, seated back to back (not facing each other) hokie clips running over and over again (at least they could find some that wouldn't repeat every 20 minutes) and the food was average at best with portion size lacking.

50's has great interactive wait staff, great food (good portions) and the quality of the food is far better!

But I guess it is just who you ask! Go with what you think you and your traveling party would like more.

LandFan
04-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Sci-Fi. Here's why.
How unique of an enviornment can you get? It's a one of a kind place, sitting in a car, watching crazy movies, sipping a great milkshake and yummy food. It's such a fun, feel good place that you can't get anywhere.
Prime Time is fun, but it's hit or miss, depending on the server you get, and we've had some real duds. Plus, kids don't really get the impact of the kitchy decor like us grown ups do.
Sci fi hands down. We were there last week again and loved every minute of it. Love walking out of the dark into the bright sun too. Lots of fun.

Exactly what she said! All of it!

LandFan
04-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks SO MUCH everyone!

I think atmosphere is what we are most aiming for with the kiddos. And of course as long as they have some chicken nuggets they are happy! :-P

I've heard some talk about people sitting IN your car with you. With a party of 5 will that happen for us?

It shouldn't. THe cars are three rows of seats and seat 2 people in each row. Therefore if you are a party of 5 (I don't know how old all of your kids are but if they each take up their own seat) then you should have the whole car.

IF you were a party of 4, then one of the rows would be left open and potentially a party of two might be seated there.

Hope that helps.

luvdiznee
04-19-2010, 01:00 PM
50's :cloud9: