PDA

View Full Version : 15 yr old not going to WDW?!?!?

deedeenmickey
04-13-2010, 06:09 PM
OK I have posted that my hubby will be home from Iraq this weekend (Yay!) and we are going to Disney World staying in a cabin. We have been as a family of 4 every year (at least once) since 1998. This year our son (20yo) has a SERIOUS gf and he is not going. He wants to go but we are not footing the bill for him, her and her child. Long story but we have helped them too much. Now my 15 yo daughter says she does not want to go because her friend backed out. I love WDW more than they do and always have but I am afraid I will be too sad to go for a whole week without them. My hubby and I have been once for 4 days w/o children and it was great. I am having serious doubts. My daughter can stay with her Grandmother so that is not the issue. I am having real issues with this! Help! Should I cancel the whole thing?

retiredfigment
04-13-2010, 06:23 PM
After serving in Iraq, what is wrong with you and your husband having some alone time, that is if he doesn't mind leaving the kids behind.

sportsguy2315
04-13-2010, 06:55 PM
First off, thank your husband for me for his service :flag: . Secondly, I agree with Figment. Respect his wishes: If he wants a trip for just you two, have fun :)

Morpheous
04-13-2010, 06:58 PM
First off, thank your husband for me for his service :flag: . Secondly, I agree with Figment. Respect his wishes: If he wants a trip for just you two, have fun :)

I agree as well, Thank your husband for his service for me as well! :)

Since you haven't had time to be with your husband in some time I'm sure. You have the chance for some nice alone time in a place you love! I think it sounds like a great opportunity for you and your husband. Have a great time! :thumbsup:

luvdiznee
04-13-2010, 07:00 PM
I could only wish that I had a grandmother for my DD to stay with when I want to go away. Sounds like a good time for you and your husband to have some time together, especially after him coming home from Iraq.

buzznwoodysmom
04-13-2010, 07:03 PM
If your hubby still wants to take the trip without the kids then I think you should go for it. My kids are still young, but if they were older I think a trip for just the two of us after a long deployment would be wonderful. I'd do the disney trip and maybe try to plan for a cheaper trip later this summer for the whole family to go on to reconnect. Good luck with everything and please let us know when he's made it safely back home.

DiannaJ
04-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Don't let the kids keep you and your hero husband from going and having some time together. He has been through alot and needs the time alone with you as much as you with him...Thank him so much for his service from all of us...:number1:

MizMissy
04-13-2010, 07:39 PM
I agree that the two of you should go to Disney and enjoy some alone time. Also, might I add, unless you have your heart set on the cabin, for the same cost as the cabin, maybe you can transfer to a more romantic resort.

cather74
04-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Go go go!!!!!:mjump::donald::goofy:

Madame Leona
04-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Thank you to your husband for his service and to you for supporting him.

That being said.... If the both of you still want to go, go. Have a fun, adult time together. Kids grow up whether we want them to or not and your children made a decision they think is good for them. Now you make the right decision for the two of you.

deedeenmickey
04-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks all. While it is a little depressing she is still adamant that she does not want to go. So I called and changed our resort to Animal Kingdom Lodge and we reduced from 7 nights to 4 nights! I am a little excited about just the two of us going but a litte depressed about my children growing up! I was always thinking I would be SUPER HAPPY at this moment and now that it's here I am quite sad.

I always try to make everybody else happy on family vacations so now I will just focus on the two of us and we can RELAX!

This was our "family vacation" the two of us are going to Vegas mid May! So now we get two!

AKL here we come!!!!:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
04-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Oh gosh, I know it must be tough seeing that the kids are growing up so fast, but I hope you and DH enjoy your trip. I always say that when our kids are older I look forward to taking a trip with just DH and myself, but I know I'll be just like you when that time comes, I'll be sad at the same time. We've stayed at AK once and loved it. The two of you are going to have a fantastic time. Enjoy your time together!

Scar
04-14-2010, 02:31 PM
I am a little excited about just the two of us going but a litte depressed about my children growing up! I was always thinking I would be SUPER HAPPY at this moment and now that it's here I am quite sad.Bingo! Your sadness has nothing to do with WDW. You can't stop your kids from growing up. Go and have a great time.

Maybe this will help. Picture yourselves 15 - 20 years from now and your kids want to move back in with you. That should cure your depression. :D

Granny Jill A
04-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Go go go!!!!!:mjump::donald::goofy:

Yes, yes yes.......:D

IloveDisney71
04-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Have a wonderful time at the AKL with your hubby! :mickey:

Jeri Lynn
04-16-2010, 11:34 AM
I hope you have a wonderful time with you hubby at WDW. We have four children and they have been to WDW many times, however, my DH and I have also taken a couple trips without them. I felt bad at first that they weren't with us, but it did not last long. They did not care that we were going without them and it was great to have some time with just DH in the world. Vacationing with just your spouse is a lot easier than the whole family and trying to please everyone.

go, have fun, don't feel bad for too long. Enjoy this time with your DH and thank him for me for his service to our Country!!

Tygger7
04-16-2010, 12:48 PM
As many others have said, thank you and your husband for serving our country. If it weren't for people like you, we wouldn't be able to enjoy the freedom to go to WDW!

My DH & I are taking a trip to WDW in May without our DD17. (She's gotten to go over Spring Break every year, and just got back from going with her BF & his family.) I felt really guilty, but the past 2 years have been so stressful for us that I decided that we need to go and reinvest in our relationship. We've both been so busy, with jobs, family illnesses, etc. that we haven't had the opportunity to really spend time together like we did when we were dating & first married.

Think of it this way...in the beginning, it was just you & your DH. The next chapter of your lives centers around your kids. After that, you have to readjust to life as "empty-nesters". Look at this trip as a little "preview" for the next chapter in your lives. Invest the time with your DH and please don't feel guilty! Trust me, you will come back recharged & relaxed, and those positive vibes will transfer to your kids.

Have a wonderful & romantic trip to AKL!!! You guys totally deserve it!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-16-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm glad you decided to go anyway. Now you cn find the romantic side of WDW, just the 2 of you. Have fun. And thank your husband for me!!

mouseketeer mom
04-17-2010, 04:49 PM
I would go, but I would also be crushed if my child backed out. It wouldn't feel the same to me, I don't think. But again, I'd still go.

Tinkerfreak
04-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Well we went in November and took our DD who turned 15 while there and her lack of enthusiasm really put a damper on our trip. She has been 8 years in a row so was in no hurry to get to the parks and wanted to just sleep until 10 or 11 every day.
DH and I were so bummed about it that we came home and booked a trip for the two of us for next month so I say go without her if she doesn't want to go and have fun!

Alaska Disney Fan
04-18-2010, 10:05 AM
You did exactly what I was thinking, I would be disappointed about my kids not wanting to go, yet excited about the opportunity to go enjoy the parks with my DW. I also would have changed my reservation from the cabins and ended up at AK. Our first visit we stayed there and can't wait to be able to afford to return there, the hotel is fabulous, and the pool is great!

BluewaterBrad
04-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Not me!!! 15 was a GREAT age at WDW!!:mickey:

kemps@wdw
05-02-2010, 09:13 PM
:flag: I'm glad hubby made it back home safely! As for the trip sans kids, as much as I know (and I do) how badly you want them all to go w/you, maybe a trip for just the 2 of you isn't such a bad thing. Oh, you'll miss having them there, and they'll soon realize they should have gone w/you, but this year will simply be different. As they get older, they'll learn to appreciate going together as a family, and you'll be going to the World w/your kids (and grandkids) in good time!