PDA

View Full Version : Reservation Split Seating for 7 [not happy]

LauraSAnne
04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
We have Reservations for Kona next week during our trip for 7 people. 3 of those 7 people are my family that live in Kissimmee (we're meeting up to have dinner together). When I made the reservation, they told me that we would be split into 2 tables and that it is essentially 2 reservations. I explained the situation (how we're having dinner to see my family) and she said it didn't matter. I asked if the tables could be next to each other and she said she couldn't give me an answer or guarantee for that. She said if someone cancels their Reservations at the last minute we might be able to sit at a table near each other, but otherwise no.

I've only made dinner Reservations at Disney once before and not for such a large group...is this normal? Are we really going to be seated away from each other? Should I just cancel my reservations and eat off property (I could go for some Wing Alley or The Catfish Place!)? If we arrive really early and request tables near each other and are willing to wait, do you think they'll accommodate us?

renecat
04-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I've eaten at Kona many times. I don't recall them having large tables and if they are telling you that they can't guarantee two tables next to each other and it is important to you I'd opt to eat off property. If you are willing to take a chance you could always walk down to the beach area after your meal and visit there.

JenniferS.
04-13-2010, 03:05 PM
On past trips, we have done this at Tusker House and Cinderella's Royal Table. When we went to check in we just gave our name and they would say.."party of 5?" and both times they just sat us all together. I'm not saying that it will happen for you, but it could. Good luck!

BugeyedMuggy
04-13-2010, 04:16 PM
When you make ressies they can only seat according to what they see available. Whey you check in just say you have 7 people and hopefully you can all be seated together. We once had to wait alittle longer but you can visit while waiting. Good luck.

d_m_n_n
04-13-2010, 04:56 PM
We went with a party of 9 one year and they told us that for every ADR we made (5 in all). In the end, there was only once (Trail's End Buffet) where we were not together (we had a walkway between the two tables). I'm sure they will do their best to seat your party together!!! :mickey:

danicafan
04-13-2010, 05:15 PM
We had this same issue last January with 8 of us. All our reservations were split, however, we always arrived early for our reservations and we always were able to sit together, I think they had to move a table for a couple of the reservations but we were always all at one table! I'm sure they will work to accomodate you, just make sure to get to your dining location about 20 minutes prior to your reservation! Good Luck!

LauraSAnne
04-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I think we came up with a solution. We made a Reservation for the night before, where we'll just go ourselves, and then cancel the original Kona Reservations and go to St. Cloud to eat at The Catfish Place that night instead. It really is a better deal, since we'll be getting two awesome meals out of it :thumbsup:

Belster
04-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Our last trip with a large crowd was in 08...it was the same story when I booked. Good news is, when you check in they know you are all together and the make every effort to keep it that way. On our 10 day trip we were never separated. When we ate at LTT we did have two tables that were right next to each other.

I would not worry. :mickey:

Captain_Nemo
04-14-2010, 09:15 AM
I have seen this happen to a group at Teppan Edo, there was a large family and they split them up into 2 tables seating them with guest that were not part of the party. they got the same room (4 grills per room) but needless to say they were not happy, and everyone in the room had to listen to them complain about of to each other across the room while trying to enjoy dinner. some people :mad:

Rosemickey68
04-14-2010, 02:24 PM
When I made an ADR for Sci Fi they said the same thing at first....we were going to be at two tables, I kept calling back and finally got us all at one table.
Just keep trying. Some people make ADR's and then change their mind on the place/time...so you may get what you want...I have never eaten at Kona so I'm not sure what type of seating they have.
I do know we have gone with 13 people to WDW and the CM's do everything to seat you together or with tables next to each other.
Good luck!:mickey:

Granny Jill A
04-14-2010, 04:33 PM
We had a similar situation - party of 7 at The Brown Derby. We were also told that they couldn't guarantee we'd all sit together.

When we showed up for our reservation, they pushed two tables together without our having to ask.

At Kona you will be so busy eating, you probably won't have time to talk. The food is scrumptious. Good luck.

DisneyBunch
04-14-2010, 09:02 PM
We've been to WDW many times, always with at least seven. Every restaurant always tells us that they cannot guarantee that we will be seated together, but we always are. Now that my daughters are young adults, I would welcome being seated at two tables.:mickey:

brownie
04-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Never had this issue. It's been over 5 years now, but we had a group of 10 in 2003 and were able to have one seating reservation for each of the places we went to. We've never been to Kona, and the switch was made from priority seating to advance dining reservations since our last trip, so those both may be factors in this.

I'd guess that if you were willing to wait longer if you had to, they would probably be able to accommodate you if they can't seat you together when you check in.

diz_girl
04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
During our Dec 2008 trip, we ate at both Kona and Trail's End for dinner. There were ten of us in the party, but I couldn't get a reservation for 10, just 8 & 2 for Kona and 4 & 6 at Trail's End. Although they can't guarantee that you will sit together, they do make every effort to seat everyone together and we were able to sit together for both of our reservations.

Teppan Edo is a little different because they can't shove the tables together, as the table surrounds the grill and can't be moved. Hibachi tables generally seat eight, so if a party is too large to fit at one table, then the group has to be split.

WDWgal
04-17-2010, 08:22 AM
I think that is just becoming part of a disclaimer they say. I think generally people do not have issues being seated together. At worse you may have to wait a little longer.
The only time I could see an issue is if the party was large enough there was no table to accommodate them.

hlkeck
04-17-2010, 08:49 AM
we had a party of 18 at 1900 park fare and they got us right next to each other...just ask!