PDA

View Full Version : Is T-Rex going to be too loud for my sound sensitive kids?

wdwluv
04-12-2010, 09:42 AM
I was so excited to take them there -but I got to thinking it might be too loud....wutcha think?

DVC2004
04-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Have they ever been to a Rainforest Cafe, and if so how did it go? It's very similar (owned and operated by same company). I have read suggestions about being seated in the ice cavern/room being quieter and less intense.

buzznwoodysmom
04-12-2010, 10:24 AM
My kids are not at all sound sensitive, but it was just too loud for us. We've been to Rainforest Cafe plenty of times and T-Rex seems way louder than RFC. We've been to T-Rex twice and the last time about half way through our meal DH and I told the kids to enjoy it because we may never go back. It was just way too loud and there was too much going on. We were seated in the Ice room that changes from red to blue and it was the most chaotic dining experience I've ever had. I had a pounding headache when we left and I am usually not that sensitive to stuff like that. Maybe go in for some shopping and take a look for yourself before you dine there. You should be able to get a good idea of if it'll be too loud for your kids or not.

BrerGnat
04-12-2010, 10:30 AM
My younger son is sound sensitive. He is 4. He didn't even like how close that restaurant is to the Lego store in DtD...you can hear it when you're in the outdoor Lego play area. He was bothered by it. He kept looking over there and saying "all done".

In contrast, he is NOT bothered by the Rainforest Cafe, until the "thunderstorm" rolls in...

The ambient noises from T-Rex are INTENSE. The ambient noises at Rainforest are a bit more soothing (birds mostly, and jungle animals).

wdwluv
04-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Hmmmmm....
We have NOT been to Rainforest.

The kids didn't like the fireworks. (of course that is really loud)

And we had to take the kids out of Philharmagic (I think mostly because of sound...but maybe the rain effects and wind were too much...couldn't get a good answer out of them)

sounds like it *may* not be worth the risk. Is it? I would hate to be sitting down to eat and then have to leave.

buzznwoodysmom
04-12-2010, 12:12 PM
I would guess that if your kids didn't like the fireworks or Philharmagic they would hate T-Rex. I can't stress enough how loud and crazy it gets in there. I love RFC, but I hate T-Rex. I would suggest if you visit WDW often that on your next trip you take your kids in for shopping and to look around. If you think they'll do well with it try to book it during your trip, or if you can't get anything book it for your next trip.

DVC2004
04-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Good idea from Buzznwoodysmom- re: walk in, look around first then decide later and make an ADR. I think it wouldn't be too enjoyable for any of you if the kids were scared and upset.

BrerGnat
04-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Just so you know, the food isn't really worth going to EITHER T-Rex OR Rainforest Cafe. It's generally mediocre at best. Nothing special at all.

Now, if your kids are super obsessed with Dinosaurs, that is another story. But if not, skip it and don't even think twice about missing it.

You can browse the gift shops at either restaurant, and from there you can get a good idea of the atmosphere in the dining areas. Make an informed decision based on that.

Granny Jill A
04-12-2010, 01:05 PM
I think both Rainforest and T-Rex are way too loud for anyone, and especially young children.

I wouldn't be surprised if this type of theme restaurant goes bye-bye.

I loved both restaurants the first time I saw them, but they do wear you down with the noise.

dixiepixie
04-12-2010, 01:15 PM
We ate here on our last trip and all left with huge headaches. We couldn't even hold a conversation at our table, it was incredibly loud. We were there for lunch and it wasn't even that crowded. I would definitely recommend eating anywhere other than here, the noise is just not worth it. I have been to Rainforest Cafe multiple times and have never had that problem there.

Tinkerfreak
04-12-2010, 06:20 PM
My kids are not at all sound sensitive, but it was just too loud for us. We've been to Rainforest Cafe plenty of times and T-Rex seems way louder than RFC. We've been to T-Rex twice and the last time about half way through our meal DH and I told the kids to enjoy it because we may never go back. It was just way too loud and there was too much going on. We were seated in the Ice room that changes from red to blue and it was the most chaotic dining experience I've ever had. I had a pounding headache when we left and I am usually not that sensitive to stuff like that. Maybe go in for some shopping and take a look for yourself before you dine there. You should be able to get a good idea of if it'll be too loud for your kids or not.

We were in the same room and felt the same way. Between the noise and the color changing I felt stressed out. We couldn't even hear each other to talk.

Amy_617
04-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Ok, an OP on here mentioned RFC being loud as well. We were planning on taking our 23 month old here because he likes to listen to the rain outside our door so we thought he may like it. Do you guys think it will be to loud for an almost 2 yo? We KNEW T-Rex would be WAY to loud and prolly scare him....but thought RFC would be fine. Anyone take young tots in RFC? How did they do with the noise?

buzznwoodysmom
04-13-2010, 10:40 AM
We've eaten at RFC when my boys were as young as 9 months and 2 years old and they were never bothered at all. I should mention that my boys have never been afraid of much. Most of the meal is not too loud, but every 30 minutes or so the animals "come to life" and it can get loud during those times.

AHOTE
04-13-2010, 12:51 PM
It was just way too loud and there was too much going on. We were seated in the Ice room that changes from red to blue and it was the most chaotic dining experience I've ever had. I had a pounding headache when we left and I am usually not that sensitive to stuff like that. Maybe go in for some shopping and take a look for yourself before you dine there. You should be able to get a good idea of if it'll be too loud for your kids or not.

I agree whole heartedly with this. The Ice Room is a real challenge. It was a chaotic dining experience and the changing colors has a unique affect on the appearance of your food and your mood. :dizzy: I believe the noise is a little more intense in the Ice Room because you are in a dome within the building. You pretty well have to yell to your server to order or point to the item on the menu. Table conversation is all but impossible. Ages in our party ranged in age from 24 through 60 and no one was happy with that dining choice, but to each his own. It was the only place we ate where we did not linger. We were in and out within 30 minutes. :bolt:

FriendsofMickey
04-13-2010, 01:11 PM
We like both T-Rex and Rainforest. However, both are very loud. T-Rex being the louder (IMO).
My girls were 6 the first T-Rex experience, so I cannot answer about the younger ages, but they were fine.

At Rainforest, they loved it when we went (they were just short of 3). However, they were a little afraid of the rainstorm.

If my girls were noise sensitive, I probably would skip both. However, that said, I would also skip a number of the attractions at WDW.

Rekenna
04-14-2010, 02:25 PM
We haven't been to RFC, but we went to T-Rex for the first time last October and my 3 boys loved it! DS10, DS3, DS2 at the time. DS2 is autistic and all the craziness did not bother him. But, if your peeps are sound sensitive how about you just walk in (try not to go when there is a meteor shower if you can help it) walk around, let them see the dinos and get their take. It is very loud and very busy.

Not at DTD, but a nice, quiet, peaceful dining experience is a table next to the tank at Coral Reef in Epcot-just a suggestion. I think everything at DTD is on the loud, boisterous side, lots of action going on there.

Good luck-hope all works out, have fun!:mickey:

mudpuppysmom
04-14-2010, 05:01 PM
We've been to both RFC and T-Rex. My older son enjoyed T-Rex more than RFC and my younger son (he'll be 2 in May) had no problem with R-Rex.

That said -- it IS VERY LOUD in both places......the sound "show" happens approximately every 30 minutes and SOMETIMES the servers will warn you if they are in tune with the timing -- don't bet on them telling you though.

My kids were/are not afraid of much either, however it is SUPER loud in both places!

If your kids are sound sensitive (my older one was for about a year -- he couldn't even stand the sweeper!) you might want to try the gift shop and see how they do in there -- if they can handle it in there it will be louder inside the restaurant but they will know what to expect. Getting an ADR has never been any problem for us and we've eaten there 3x since it opened (1st time about 2 weeks after opening which I want to say was in December?). Last trip (Oct 09) we walked right in and were seated immediately on a Friday afernoon.

If it were me and I knew my kids might not enjoy the experience I'd try to steer clear of the place unless they saw it and REALLY wanted to go in -- and I'd explain to them how loud it really was in there!

Just my own opinion.