PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to check in on-line or just check in regularly once you arrive?

Gregandmel
04-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I was just curious for those that are planning upcoming trips if you plan on checking in on-line or if you prefer to actually talk with someone about your reservations once you arrive. We went about 18 months ago and this wasn't an option, but I wondered if there were any real "cons" to doing this. I know when we "talked" to the reservationist, I politely asked for a specific area which he checked for us. Do you lose that ability if you do on-line check in and "what you get is what you get?". We are staying at POFQ and I had 2 building preferences I would like to request, but not sure what will happen if I go on-line. THoughts from anyone who is planning on doing this or who already has? :confused: Thanks!!!

JPL
04-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Personally I am going to check-in in person! This way if I don't like my room location or if there are any other problems they can be addressed before I arrive at my room and thus avoiding a second wait in line ot fix the problems.

lindique
04-08-2010, 07:16 PM
When you check in on line, they ask you what time you will be checking in and out and then they appear to assign you a room that will be ready when you arrive. I've done it 3 times now, and my room was always ready. Maybe it was a coincidence, but it worked for me!

Gregandmel
04-08-2010, 07:59 PM
When you check in on line, they ask you what time you will be checking in and out and then they appear to assign you a room that will be ready when you arrive. I've done it 3 times now, and my room was always ready. Maybe it was a coincidence, but it worked for me!

Do you know which room you received before you got there? Was there a place where you could put in a request?

PopPhan
04-08-2010, 07:59 PM
We will do the online check-in. You can still make a room change at the desk, but it does slow the line down a bit.

Just wish they would add a spot for room requests on the online form. We will be at Pop Century and we always ask for top floor in one of the 50's buildings.

finaldynasty
04-08-2010, 10:55 PM
My wife and I had the option last year to check in online, but we both agreed that we are old fashioned and set in our ways...we will check in when we get to POR this year. Last year, we had to wait an hour, but it gave us a chance to have lunch and walk around the resort.

javamama
04-09-2010, 09:43 PM
regular checkin for us

elmjimmlm
04-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I like the in person check in...I like talking to someone face to face and letting them tell me where everything is, even though I already know...Online check in makes me a little nervous because I am afaid that the building that I request won't matter...Thats just me...:blush:

forever a child
04-09-2010, 10:52 PM
I am still debating this question myself. Undecided....:shrug:

ljgirl
04-09-2010, 10:53 PM
I was thinking about doing the on line check in for our visit last month. When I went to do it I realized that because I booked through Southwest Vacations, I couldn't! We checked in the old fashioned way. It was a Monday afternoon so it wasn't busy but our room was not ready. We checked our bags and went to the MK! This was at the POFQ.

Kathy Jetson
04-09-2010, 11:31 PM
In person. I guess I just feel more in control that way, and I like talking to the cms at check in.

Checkers
04-10-2010, 11:47 AM
I keep going back and forth. I believe I checked in online when we went last Sept. and still waited in line. Can't really remember for certain but isn't there a place when you do online checkin to put in 2 requests? I really would like an upper floor not too far from the elevator and definitely NOT a HA villa (traveling with toddlers) and I am just torn on how to achieve this!

LudwigVonDrake
04-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Probably online :mickey:

jwildflower1981
04-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Undecided....
:scratch::shrug:

beksy
04-10-2010, 06:55 PM
I've done both. We did the online at POP when the online was still fairly new so we didn't have a line which was nice. We were only staying for one night though so location wasn't a big deal. For longer trips I always do it the old fashioned way since I have been traveling with Mom in a wheelchair and requests are important. This October its just my Dsis and me again so I'm undecided. :secret:

GINNY69
04-10-2010, 08:41 PM
I checked in online a few days ago. I never done this before. I know I picked a room that was closer to transportation. I am worried about the room location because I really do not want a parking lot view regardless that we are not in our room very much. I am thinking about calling reservations tomorrow and see if they can note for a garden view.. Hopefully this online checkin process works.. If I do end up with a parking lot view I should remember that at least I am in disney and that is all that matters.. !!:mickey:

magicofdisney
04-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Online check-in still requires a face-to-face with a CM when you check-in. Since I've had a couple of very successful check-ins using this new approach, I will continue to do so in the future.

Additionally, any request made with the regular check-in can still be made through the online check-in desk CM.

Amy_617
04-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I keep going back and forth. I believe I checked in online when we went last Sept. and still waited in line. Can't really remember for certain but isn't there a place when you do online checkin to put in 2 requests? I really would like an upper floor not too far from the elevator and definitely NOT a HA villa (traveling with toddlers) and I am just torn on how to achieve this!

We will be staying at BCV in May as well, and thinking about online check-in....It would be good if we could put in 2 requests. We would like a high floor room with an Epcot view. We are traveling with a toddler to and wondering what a HA villa means?

Seasonscraps
04-11-2010, 05:55 AM
We'll probably check in at the resort. I never really had a bad experience or exceptionally long wait at the counter.

GINNY69
04-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Hello I was wondering how much generally people tip for Mousekeeping? I am staying at the Boardwalk and I generally leave a small note for the Mousekeeper because I like to thank them for the clean room and I ask if they can leave some extra towels,soap, and shampoo.. so I was just curious as too how others tip for mousekeeping.. Thanks alot..

:pixie: :pixie: :mickey::chip::dale::stitch:

Leaving for WDW in 6 days !!! :yay:

Gregandmel
04-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Hello I was wondering how much generally people tip for Mousekeeping? I am staying at the Boardwalk and I generally leave a small note for the Mousekeeper because I like to thank them for the clean room and I ask if they can leave some extra towels,soap, and shampoo.. so I was just curious as too how others tip for mousekeeping.. Thanks alot..

:pixie: :pixie: :mickey::chip::dale::stitch:

Leaving for WDW in 6 days !!! :yay:

Last time we went we left a $5 bill in the envelope on the mirror in the bathroom. I have no idea if that is too much or too little, but since it's a "tip" and not necessarily expected, thought it was ok. Some people tip and others don't. I don't think it made our room any better or worse, although halfway through our trip I think our mousekeeper switched because mid-week we no longer got towel animals or chocolates in our room like we had the first 4 days. It's still a nice gesture and I'm sure we'll do it again on our next trip. ENJOY!!!! We leave in 13 days!! :cloud9:

Sunshine1010
10-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Sooooo.......if you do online check-in, your room has preference and you could get in sooner?

Kaps
10-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Face to face I don't like online check in. Just a personal thing

LVT
10-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Hello Ginny69, that question becomes a thread on intercot frequently. 1. There are no rules. (zero is OK-some have not got spare money). 2. Some have reported that mousekeepers wages are better than small hotel chains. 3. My family's method seems common:
$1/per person per day, we take envelopes along. In general we do $5 just for ease. We stay at POP. We do not change the amount based on hotel value like one does for tips at restaurants.

Harriet
10-27-2010, 03:27 PM
I am not doing on line check-in for a number of reasons. I'm old fashion I want to talk to a person and make sure I get what I requested or as close as possible. My main reason this trip is because I have back to back reservations and I want to hope I can stay in the same room and not have to move. Only reason for the back to back was the pin code I received did not include all my dates. 13 days and counting WOO HO:cloud9::party:

WDWCrazyKaren
10-27-2010, 03:54 PM
I don't know! Now I"m in a quandry after reading these responses. I really do want an upper floor room, and I'm so afraid that if I do online check in, I might get stuck with a ground floor room. I don't have any other requests, just that one, but it's a biggie for us!

magicofdisney
10-27-2010, 05:50 PM
I am not doing on line check-in for a number of reasons. I'm old fashion I want to talk to a person and make sure I get what I requested or as close as possible. My main reason this trip is because I have back to back reservations and I want to hope I can stay in the same room and not have to move. Only reason for the back to back was the pin code I received did not include all my dates. 13 days and counting WOO HO:cloud9::party:
You still have to communicate with a live person when you check-in at the hotel. Online check-in simply expedites this process (at least in theory). Therefor, you'll still have the opportunity to make your request known and possibly fulfilled. We always prefer a ground floor room and I've been able to have that honored while using online check-in. My mom is a smoker and she makes the request to be near smoking. It's seemed to work well, so far.

disneymom2000
10-27-2010, 06:42 PM
I want to try the on-line check in. It wasn't available on my last trip so I thought I would check it out just to have all the facts. If I have a problem, I can still talk to the CM when I get there.

Also to the Mousekeeping question - we usually leave $5 a day. My room has always been inpeccable and I am such a clean freak. So it works for me.

brivers222
10-28-2010, 10:26 AM
okay so give me a quick run down here....

what exactly does on-line checkin achieve? Especially if you still have to face2face with a CM?

like, what information does it take that would expedite anything seeing how you still have to talk to someone anyways?

kemps@wdw
10-28-2010, 11:33 PM
We booked thru Southwest Vaca Pkgs. Did the on-line check in. Still got personal service when we got there, just took less time (alot less time). Did not like the room we were assigned. Horrible location and nowhere near the rest of our family (which is what we were promised). As we were a late afternoon check-in, we were promptly moved the next AM to a room next to our family (which we discovered was empty the night before) with a wonderful view of MK and the small pond w/Wally Gator (the name we gave the alligator hanging out in the pond next to the 1st floor rooms!! So, w/on-line check in, we still got what we wanted, and it was very easy. :thumbsup:

Brooklynos
10-29-2010, 04:34 PM
I am thinking we are going to not going to use online check in. We will be arriving in the early am (around 7am) so do not expect our room to be ready but like the full interaction, plus thinking about upgrading views once we get there if money allows... We tried online check in last year and liked it but will try the standard check in this year....

Mousemates
10-29-2010, 04:58 PM
as to the original question...we will use on line check in during our next stay in January...in fact, we have done on line check in during our last few stays and have been quite pleased with the quickness of the process...we have also either gotten our exact room request or been upgraded to something better. I know that is not how it always works, but so far for us we have found no negatives to it.