PDA

View Full Version : New to DDP and have ??? about quick service options

Joeybun
04-08-2010, 04:15 PM
We leave in 11 days :party: and have the MYW package with quick service dining. Have never done the dining plan before and I have so many questions!

First and foremost, I do not really want to eat hamburgers or even pizza in the parks. With that in mind, can anyone make specific dining recommendations in each of the four parks? Which restaurants have the "healthiest" foods that are on the quick service plan?

We are staying 4 nights at AS Sports and 1 night at CBR. I suppose we will have several meals at the resort but wanted ideas for maximizing our plan to make it the best value possible. What other hotels should we stop by for meals that are not the usual "fast food" type of fare?

DTD works too!

Snacks? I hate to use a credit for a bottle of water, so I was thinking that for breakfast I can get the water bottle instead of juice. And with the refillable mugs, is there really a need to get a beverage?? I don't think so.

Thanks everyone for helping me out in this!

KylesMom
04-08-2010, 04:30 PM
MK - Columbia Harbour House (Shrimp/Tuna)
Epcot - Yorkshire County Fish Shop (Fish & Chips)
AK - Flame Tree BBQ (Ribs/Chicken/Pork)
DHS - Studio Catering Company (Wraps/Salads)
DTD - Earl of Sandwich

kakn7294
04-08-2010, 04:36 PM
With the DDP we don't get the mugs. We just use the drinks that come with the meals. A snack is pretty much any item that is under $4.00, including a single piece of fruit. If you use your CS credits for breakfast, you will not get a dessert so you get a second drink instead - usually juice but some CMs will allow substitutions.

Joeybun
04-08-2010, 04:41 PM
With the DDP we don't get the mugs. We just use the drinks that come with the meals. A snack is pretty much any item that is under $4.00, including a single piece of fruit. If you use your CS credits for breakfast, you will not get a dessert so you get a second drink instead - usually juice but some CMs will allow substitutions.

The mugs are part of the package with QS plan which is why I brought up the thing about the water bottles.

betteratmk
04-08-2010, 05:01 PM
If you have kids, the mugs are a great thing, they can be filled in the morning with hot chocolate or iced tea and fille a million times pool side and again when you get back from the parks!! I don't cart mine to the parks but some people do. for counter service places : AK--- Flame Tree or the picnic in the park, Yak and Yeti counter

DTD--Wolfgang Puck Express/ Market Place

Earl of Sandwich

Contempo Cafe in the Contemporary resort/ great cupcakes for dessert and very good sandwiches worth the trip

Epcot--Sunshine Seasons, Fish and Chips in England, and there is a Japanese quick service but the name escapes me!!

Hollywood-- Starring Rolls

MK--Columbia Harvest House and Cosmic Rays

Your resort quick service food court ( or any resort food court)

SBETigg
04-08-2010, 05:18 PM
There are many choices that are not burgers and pizza at almost all qs locations. Pecos Bill, for instance, is a burger place but they have a salad option and a pulled pork sandwich. Your best bets at the MK, though- Columbia Harbour House (love the hummus sandwich). Cosmic Ray's Cafe.

At Epcot, there is Sunshine Seasons, which I always bypass in favor of so many fantastic choices at WS. Yakitori House in Japan and Tangierine Cafe in Morocco are my favorites.

At DHS, Starring Rolls has some salad/sandwich options. I'm not that familiar with other options.

AK: Yak and Yeti or Flametree BBQ, both good.

Joeybun
04-08-2010, 05:22 PM
If you have kids, the mugs are a great thing, they can be filled in the morning with hot chocolate or iced tea and fille a million times pool side and again when you get back from the parks!! I don't cart mine to the parks but some people do. for counter service places : AK--- Flame Tree or the picnic in the park, Yak and Yeti counter

Can I take my mugs to the parks?? I've had mugs many times and never knew this. I will lug mine around if I can...

There are no kids this time, just me and a girlfriend, not even the hubby (poor guys is jealous ;))

What is picnic in the park?

KylesMom
04-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Can I take my mugs to the parks?? You could take your mug to the park, but you would not get free refills anywhere. It would just be one more thing to lug around without a benefit.

Joeybun
04-08-2010, 05:31 PM
You could take your mug to the park, but you would not get free refills anywhere. It would just be one more thing to lug around without a benefit.

That's what I thought. Wishful thinking...

We did bring our mugs to Blizzard Beach last September. We couldn't fill them with soda, of course, but we were able to get ice and water at no charge. Made it convenient for drinks and saved $$$.

AXOAlum
04-08-2010, 10:18 PM
I highly recommend Sunshine Seasons at EPCOT. There are always a lot of choices, including lighter/healthier fare, and it seems like we always get good food with good portions. That is my favorite place on property to eat because of the selection.

Also, I'm sure this has been mentioned, but ice water is free at all the CS locations, so grab that if you don't want to lug your mug. We take the Kool-Aid singles which are totally portable & make Florida water taste better to us :mickey:

zcrsdad
04-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Another vote for Sunshine Seasons in EPCOT.
Wolfgang Puck Express in DTD.
Flame Tree BBQ in AK is also good.
Many resorts have good choices as well. I know POR has a pasta station. CSR has mexican items.

forever a child
04-08-2010, 10:43 PM
MK - Cosmic Ray's - Soups, salads, rotisserie Chicken.
Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle (Open 5-9pm) - Salads, soups, egg rolls
Pecos Bill Cafe - BBQ Pork Sand, Chicken wraps, salads.

Epcot - Cantina de Dan Angel - Mexican
Sunshine Seasons - Salads, soups, Rotisserie Chicken.
Tangierine Cafe -hummus:cloud9:
Yakitori House - Grilled Teriyaki Chicken & Beef
Electric Unmbrella - Turkey wraps, chicken salad, unlimited drink refills
Lotus Blossom Cafe-Chinese

DHS - Rosie's All American Cafe - Chicken strips, soup, salads

AK - Flame Tree BBQ - BBQ:blush:
Yak & Yeti Local Food Cafe - Chinese

DtD - Wolfgang Puck Express - Chicken/Pasta/Salads

These are the ones we have made notes of for our up and coming trip. I guess we like chicken! Now I have to find a good burger place!

kakn7294
04-08-2010, 11:42 PM
The mugs are part of the package with QS plan which is why I brought up the thing about the water bottles.Oops, I forgot that! You are right!

lighteningqueen
04-09-2010, 02:34 AM
MK always Columbia Harbor House. Great shrimp platter there 10 pc
Pecos Bills great burgers and great fixin bar but thepulled bbq pork sandwich is very good

DHS Starring Rolls best value huge sandwiches and huge dessert choices
also Back Lotr Express really good southwestern salad and they also have a station to get many refills on your drinks. Only place I know of that will let you do that

Ak Flame Tree is always the best bet. But Yak and Yeti counter is good as well

Epcot Sunshine Seasons if the best 3 different cooking stations plus all the huge sandwhich choices and ala carte stations refills there as well on drinks

DTD Wolfgangs is the very best dinner size portions for counter service meals.
Earl of sandwhich

CSR we ate at Pepper Market and thought it was very good, stations to order from as well there. Pasta station, mexican food station, Chinese I think and american which I had the philly cheese steak and it was really really good.

For breakfast or to use it as a snack option you can get a huge muffin or roll for your snack credit and use it for a quick breakfast as long as it is under $4.00

betteratmk
04-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Can I take my mugs to the parks?? I've had mugs many times and never knew this. I will lug mine around if I can...

There are no kids this time, just me and a girlfriend, not even the hubby (poor guys is jealous ;))

What is picnic in the park?

Picnic in the Park at Animal Kingdom has 2 different tiers, one with sandwiches( turkey, tuna,chicken,ham, or veggie) and your choice of a side and dessert or tier 2 that has rotisserie chicken or ham and a choice of a side and dessert. the sides include : fresh fruit salad, mac and cheese, a pasta, a few salads and some potatoe dishes. Desserts are fuit, brownie, cookies , rice crispy treat. We did this in September and enjoyed it. You pre-order for a certain time and there are picnic spots scattered through the park. I heard the pick up location had changed but I'm not sure. You used to order by the island Mercantile gift shop. You get a reuseable bag with it too! i didn't mean to imply that you could fill the mugs at the parks, just that I see alot of people fill them at the resort and carry them into the parks lol.

TheDuckRocks
04-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I am a drink water almost 90% of the time and have never had a problem getting a bottle of water with my counter service credits. I have even had the CMs send me back to get a bottle of water at breakfast when I have either picked juice or a bottle of water for my beverage.
From the QS brochure it states:
For Breakfast
■1 juice
■1 entrée
■1 single-serving, non-alcoholic beverage

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I think the OP just meant that he has a "moral" problem with using his snack credit for a bottled water, not a system/policy problem with using a snack for water..... So many other "good" snacks to pick, why waste it on water (which I totally feel the same way - why we bring a $4.00 case of water from Costco with us). We get the QSDP because it fits our family's eating style... don't want to be tied down to ressies and our kids are "snacker" eaters.

I have many of the same opinions that many of my fellow Intercotees:
MK - Columbia Harbor House, Pecos Bill Cafe
EP - Sunshine Seasons, Yakitori House (sushi anyone???), Tangerine Cafe, Cantina de San Angel
DHS - Backlot Express
AK - Yak n Yeti counter service, Flame tree
DTD - Earl of Sandwich, Wolfgang Puck Express
Resorts - Poly-Captain Cooks - TONGA TOAST AND KONA COFFEE!!!!!!

My fave snacks are - Anything during F&W Fest; Conga drink in Mexico (non alcoholic slushie type drink); Dole Whip; Funnel Cake; Rice Krispie Brick from Bakery at MK; Steam Pork Bun at Herbies in DHS - OH WAIT, YOU SAID HEALTHY....... Fruit salad at various stands, does Chocolate banana's count?

bruin1344
04-09-2010, 01:19 PM
MK - Columbia Harbor House & Cosmic Rays
Epcot - Sunshine Seasons and ton of options in World Showcase
DHS - nothing sticks out
AK - Flame Tree BBQ
DTD - Earl of Sandwich, Wolfgang Puck

For the snack credit, I use it for breakfast and buy the mug for beverages. I even fill the mug with water and bring it to the parks.

Joeybun
04-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I think the OP just meant that he has a "moral" problem with using his snack credit for a bottled water, not a system/policy problem with using a snack for water..... So many other "good" snacks to pick, why waste it on water (which I totally feel the same way - why we bring a $4.00 case of water from Costco with us). We get the QSDP because it fits our family's eating style... don't want to be tied down to ressies and our kids are "snacker" eaters.

I have many of the same opinions that many of my fellow Intercotees:
MK - Columbia Harbor House, Pecos Bill Cafe
EP - Sunshine Seasons, Yakitori House (sushi anyone???), Tangerine Cafe, Cantina de San Angel
DHS - Backlot Express
AK - Yak n Yeti counter service, Flame tree
DTD - Earl of Sandwich, Wolfgang Puck Express
Resorts - Poly-Captain Cooks - TONGA TOAST AND KONA COFFEE!!!!!!

My fave snacks are - Anything during F&W Fest; Conga drink in Mexico (non alcoholic slushie type drink); Dole Whip; Funnel Cake; Rice Krispie Brick from Bakery at MK; Steam Pork Bun at Herbies in DHS - OH WAIT, YOU SAID HEALTHY....... Fruit salad at various stands, does Chocolate banana's count?

Yes, that is what my thinking is about the water.

As far a me mentioning "healthy" I was mostly referring to eating greasy fast food type burgers, which I don't really like. I have no objection to eating yummy snacks, etc! In fact, this Tonga Toast thingy is ON MY LIST...:cloud9:

jonahbear2006
04-10-2010, 02:26 AM
I think the best thing to do is go to disneyworlds website and look at quick services and look up menus. This is what I did. I sat and weeded out anything that was mainstream and then we went everywhere else. One thing I particularly looked at was what was for dessert. I dont want cookies or rice krispy treats and I am tired of carrot cake and choc cake. Another thing to consider is, what are the childrens' options. Some places dont give a variety for the kiddos. Our favorites are;

Flame tree bbq-AK
sunshine seasons-EPCOT
contempo cafe-contemporary
gasparilla grill-grand floridian(great at night during fireworks at MK, esp. if it's a night you have to miss due to a hard ticket event)
artist's palette-saratoga springs
sassagoula floatworks-french quarter
boardwalk bakery-boardwalk
wolfgang puck-downtown disney
earl of sandwich-downtown disney
kringla og kafe-EPCOT

PetefromRI
04-10-2010, 09:38 AM
We can go for 10 days and never eat a burger on the QSDP.Wolfgang Puck Express is easily the best QS on property but there are alot of other great places mentioned on other posts.If we do breakfast then we alway get 2 drinks apiece and put them in the room fridge.FlameTree is good and Cosmic Rays has a great chicken/rib combo that 2 can feed off of.Yakitori House has decent sushi and the Yorkshire Fish House is also great but a little greasy.