PDA

View Full Version : For iPhone users

caryrae
04-08-2010, 03:26 PM
I know there are a few here and thought you would like to know Apple just announced a big update for the iPhone for this summer. Will be OS 4.0, a couple big things is you will now be able to multi task like other phones do now and you can organize apps in to folders which will increase the amount of apps you can have from 180 to 2160 (can't imagine having that many). Of course not all updates work on every phone like the multi tasking will only work on the 3GS.

100+ New User Features

With iPhone OS 4, iPhone owners will enjoy over 100 new features that make it easier to interact with apps, manage email, read books, and more.

Ian
04-08-2010, 06:31 PM
:thumbsup:

DizneyRox
04-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I know there are a few here and thought you would like to know Apple just announced a big update for the iPhone for this summer. Will be OS 4.0, a couple big things is you will now be able to multi task like other phones do now and you can organize apps in to folders which will increase the amount of apps you can have from 180 to 2160 (can't imagine having that many). Of course not all updates work on every phone like the multi tasking will only work on the 3GS.
My phone does all those things now, it's a 3GS... So does my wife's 3G. Go figure!

I won't be upgrading until it can do everything I can do with my current phone.

caryrae
04-08-2010, 06:44 PM
This isn't a new iPhone just a software update. How does your phone do all that now? Is it jail broken?

DizneyRox
04-08-2010, 06:57 PM
You said it, not me... Apple seems to put false limitations on their products, I don't believe in limits for the sake of limiting...

Multitasking and folders are not a new concept, they have been around since OS 2.1 I believe. I had that functionality shortly after leaving the AT&T store.

You are correct, this is a firmware update, one that is NOT required to continue to use the phone.

ElenitaB
04-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm looking forward to the upgrade. :woohoo: But I guess this means I'll need to keep it quiet around my DS who doesn't have a 3GS.

caryrae
04-08-2010, 08:07 PM
The update is for iPad, 3GS and 3G iPhones and for later Generation (2nd and 3rd) iPod touches.

iPhone OS 4 Compatibility

iPhone OS 4 will work with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and the second- and third-generation iPod touch this summer, and with iPad in the fall. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009).

Ruprect
04-09-2010, 07:42 AM
This limitation on features on the 3G really have me angry. I could understand if it were a hardware related thing but multi-tasking?!?! It is a ploy to get me to buy a new phone and thanks to the way Apple handles the past generation iPhones and the limitations they put on us developers I will not be getting another one...ever.

I'm also openly rooting for Android to crush iPhone now.

Oh and be wary of getting the update immediately. I did that with 3.1 (I believe) and had my phone slipping into coma-mode for a month before Apple even acknowledged there was a problem and released version 3.1.1.

DizneyRox
04-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Having both a 3G and a 3GS, I will say that the limitations on the 3G are probably there because of the limited processing power of the device. It's agonizingly slow compared to a 3GS even without throwing apps into the background.

Multitasking as I mentioned has been around since the beginning, iPod, Phone, etc have all been "approved" background apps. Folks just found ways to make ALL apps able to be backgrounded.

To say it's a new feature is somewhat of a lie.

I read through the feature list for the new firmware is I can't find much that would cause me to update. I've got widgets on my lockscreen that show me weather, mail, etc. Folders in the SpringBaord, customized backgrounds (including video wallpaper)... It's all stuff the haker community has implemented in spite of Apple's restrictions and works quite well.

This hogwash about the stability of jailbroken phones, etc cracks me up. Same with the security concerns...

Ruprect
04-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Having both a 3G and a 3GS, I will say that the limitations on the 3G are probably there because of the limited processing power of the device. It's agonizingly slow compared to a 3GS even without throwing apps into the background.

While I understand they may have concerns about performance it drives me crazy that I don't have the power to make those decisions myself (that must be why I've never been a big Apple fan). I know my 3G can run background audio and background data since the built-in Apple Apps already have that capability. I just want the background audio from apps without having to jail-break.

I guess since I've never had a 3GS I've never noticed that the 3G is slow. I've never had any issues with its performance.

fupresti
04-10-2010, 12:04 AM
The one device that screams multi tasking doesn't get it till fall?

I appreciate the additions but I would love multitasking on my iPad so I can work in Pages and leave my email up and VOIP client at the same time.

DisneyDog
04-23-2010, 07:47 PM
I have an iphone 3g. We are currently on tmobile and we unlocked the phone, but I was tired of my 3g phone only running on 2g so I got a tmobile phone --the Samsung Behold 2. It is an Android phone and does most everything the iphone does --but does it badly. It is so clunky and primitive compared to the iphone. And there are so many problems with them --I went through 3 replacement phones in 3 months. Everytime I turned off the Behold for any length of time my apps uninstalled themselves! I finally gave up 3 days ago. Unfortunately, because I kept the phone past 14 days I am stuck paying for it. My problems started at 21 days and they were completely inflexible. The only thing they would do is replace it with a Blackberry model that isn't even being made anymore. So, after much frustration, we have decided to go back to at&t asap. My DH is going to get the 3gs and I am looking forward to the upgrade (I haven't done anything with it since the summer.). And eventually I will get the 4g, after it's been out for a reasonable amount of time. My phone is almost two years old as it is.

Genie1953
04-23-2010, 08:28 PM
I have a 3GS and am able to multi-task but I can't figure out how to set up the folders as an earlier poster said they can do now. How do I make the folders?

DizneyRox
04-23-2010, 09:35 PM
I have a 3GS and am able to multi-task but I can't figure out how to set up the folders as an earlier poster said they can do now. How do I make the folders?
Categories and CategoriesSB? SB is a paid Cydia app, well worth it IMHO. Need them both BTW.