PDA

View Full Version : Touchy question about DDP

jenperich
04-07-2010, 09:38 PM
I know this should not be done, however...

Has anyone ever used dining plan credits for family/friends that were visiting for the day? My brother(poor college student) will be visiting us for the day and we'd like to use 1 or 2 dining credits on him. However, I'm not sure that this is Kosher.

If you have any input, please let me know. PM me if you feel its necessary. Thank you!

gerald72
04-08-2010, 06:00 AM
At the end of vacations, people have no problem using their credits on strangers instead of wasting the credits. The reason is they are giving away the food, not transferring the credits.
I think you can use that same reasoning. Just don't buy more meals at once than you have people on your plan.
I'd say table service would be different.

Mfarquar
04-08-2010, 07:32 AM
I'm wasn't sure if we could do this and didn't even ask while at Kona Cafe the year before last with friends from the area. However, once our server learned that we were splitting the bill between cash and dining credits, he ENCOURAGED US/INSISTED that we use the dining plan for the most expensive meals we had enjoyed (which included our friend's), so that the overall bill that we paid out of pocked was actually less. He may have offered this because he knew we were treating our friends, but like I said, he actually offered. I don't know if every waitstaff will do this, however...

retiredfigment
04-08-2010, 08:22 AM
My way of thinking is that if you are just buying CS who knows who they are for and since you are free to use credits at any time you want, you could just be buying two meals for yourself at that time.The cashier is probably way too busy to figure it out. As a previous poster said, TS may be different.

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-08-2010, 08:55 AM
We have used our credits on others dining with us. I think treating someone for a meal is different than giving them your DDP (that's a true transfer of something non-transferable to me!)

On our last trip, we were at the SSR pool and a woman came up to me with a GIANT bag of bottled water/juices and snacks. She said they were leaving for the airport and she just used up all their snack credits to give to a family that could use it. She said she was just watching us interact with our kids for a few minutes and said she'd like to give it to us. She said that there were others with kids but, she didn't like the way they were treating them. What a great compliment and an act of random kindess (and magic) that we received.

I think your situation is along the same lines. And everytime we have asked our server to use credits for others in our party that were not on the dining plan, they did so without batting an eye.

megustamex
04-08-2010, 11:03 AM
We took my parents out to dinner at Alfredo's a few years ago on our credits when they just came down for the day. No problem at all.

prttynpnk
04-08-2010, 11:19 AM
You paid for them- you should use them any way you please. We've bought other people food with excess credits on the last day- no one gets upset. It's the circle of life!

jenperich
04-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks everyone! I thought this was going to end up a debate...but it didn't! And we shall use our points as we want. Thank you!!

joonyer
04-08-2010, 04:16 PM
The DDP is not a "perk" that is given only to resort guests or something (even when it's "free dining" you still pay for it). So you paid for the food, you can give it to whoever you want, even total strangers.

kakn7294
04-08-2010, 04:26 PM
It may get tricky at TS locations but it's not a problem at CS locations. We have used our CS credits to treat strangers when we had credits left and last year we used them to treat a friend. When we took her to TS locations, we just paid OOP for her so I never asked about using the credits for her there.

CardsFan81
04-08-2010, 09:45 PM
I think it sometimes depends on your server. We asked if it was possible at TS and were told 'no.' We were going to try to treat some friends for breakfast at Chef Mickey's, but explained that if we weren't able to use credits, they'd need to pay. They weren't interested in attending if they had to risk paying, so we didn't get to try it.

We had a TON of credits left so randomly bought meals for people at Peco's Bills last year. CS was NO problem for buying meals (and it was fun to watch people's faces!!)

#1donaldfan
04-09-2010, 09:37 AM
...I can't see how it's a problem.....:cool: