PDA

View Full Version : Nyc

danicafan
04-07-2010, 02:25 PM
My husband and I will be in NYC for three days in May and are looking at some inexpensive things to do. We've been before and have already done Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, and have seen St. Patricks Cathedral but will probably do that again since it is so beautiful. Here is what we are planning, let me know if there is anything else we should see/do.
We arrive on a Wednesday around 12:30 and are planning on spending the rest of the afternoon/early evening walking around Central Park since we will be staying about 2 blocks from there. We are wanting to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, go to Little Italy and Chinatown, either top of the Rock or Empire State Bldg at night, we have done Empire State Bldg during the day, Times Square at night.
Thanks in advance!

kakn7294
04-07-2010, 02:53 PM
We did a Circle Line cruise out of the South Street Seaport. Great way to spend an evening! Got to see NYC from the harbor - the guide pointed out some interesting landmarks, and we passed by the Statue of Liberty just as the lights in the crown came on. Otherwise, I just planned our own little walking tour - I carried a list of the addresses of the places we wanted to see so we wouldn't miss anything.

4myprincesses
04-08-2010, 10:47 AM
When we were there a couple weeks ago, we had one day that was rainy and nasty. We ended up at the Museum of Natural History and it was well worth it. They have a suggested admission price, but what you actually pay is up to you. I was surprised at how big it was. We spent all morning and part of the afternoon there and could have easily doubled the time we spent there. The cafeteria in the basement has wonderful food selections for decent prices...not cheap, but about what you would expect for the quality of food we received.

TheDuckRocks
04-08-2010, 12:22 PM
The best bargin we found for touring NYC was the Grayline dot com All Loops Double Decker Bus Hop-on Hop-off tickets for 48 hours. They also sell a 72 hour ticket but we weren't there long enough to use that one. We did all 4 loops and they were going a promo that we were unaware of that gave us tickets to the Water Taxi. We saw everything including Brooklyn. Their website has lots of info including maps of the routes and the places you can hop on and off. If you pre-order the undated tickets on the internet they were discounted when we used them. Sit up top, the views are amazing.

magicalmom
05-07-2010, 09:04 PM
We strongly recommend the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier Museum - includes also the Concorde and a submarine - on the Hudson River side of the Island, walkable from Times Square (8-10 blocks, maybe?)

Ships, films, almost like time travel. The Intrepid served in several wars, as well as picking up astronauts for NASA.

SBETigg
05-07-2010, 09:34 PM
There are some fantastic walking tours, outlined in good NY guidebooks like Frommer's or Fodor's. Informally, you can find a lot of neat stuff just walking around. Pick a neighborhood and stroll. I love the museums-- MoMA, the Met, the Guggenheim, Museum of Natural History. The UN. You can ride a ferry out to the Statue of Liberty, but count on it taking 3-5 hours. I love getting tickets and heading to the theatre, on Broadway and off. And finally, those double decker bus tours that let you on and off in multiple locations are great.