PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Q...

luvdiznee
04-04-2010, 08:00 AM
If you delete or remove someone as a friend on Facebook, does a email or anything like that go out to them. Or will it state it on your homepage or more importantly their homepage. Or is it just done quietly. :secret:

Just like when you accept someone as a friend you get an email and I would think they do to, plus it's on your page.

Anyone deal with deleting or removing friends. :cool:

Strmchsr
04-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Removing friends is "quiet." They don't receive notification.

DVC2004
04-04-2010, 08:24 AM
No they get no notification.

wdw_bound
04-04-2010, 08:27 AM
The only notification they get is their friend count reduces on their profile page and you are no longer listed. Most of the time, people don't notice, especially if they have many friends.

However, depending on how you are connected, it may also be more obvious. For example, I was "friends" with my brother's gf. Their relationship headed south, and she posted all about it on FB (these are 30-somethings - you would think there would be a little more maturity :confused:) I also noticed that she unfriended him, but left DH and I on her friend list :confused:

I was not comfortable seeing my brother be bashed online, so I sent her a message to let her know I was sorry they were having troubles and that I hoped for the best for both of them. And at the next bashing post, I unfriended her. They are back together (sort of) again, and she has told my DB that I "don't like her." Really uncomfortable.

If you know these people IRL, another option (and possibly what I should have done) is to change your privacy settings so that they can't see your wall, post on your wall, etc. They'll still be able to see certain things, like the pages you are a fan of, but not any personal info about you. You can also choose to "ignore" them on your newsfeed. Kind of like exiling them without taking that final step.

Good luck!

kakn7294
04-04-2010, 09:52 AM
I unfriended a co-worker / neighbor after she became boss at work. I didn't think it was right to still be friends on FB, especially since people are being called in the office for things they've posted. I'm still not sure she knows - she's never mentioned it.

DizneyRox
04-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Better yet, just stay off the social networking sites. I just don't get the appeal, and the drama people tell me about. I lead a simple life, I talk to, or call, people I like, and I don't bother with people I don't. It's pretty simple to figure out where you stand with me, and if you can't figure it out, just ask.

luvdiznee
04-04-2010, 02:11 PM
The only notification they get is their friend count reduces on their profile page and you are no longer listed. Most of the time, people don't notice, especially if they have many friends.

If you know these people IRL, another option (and possibly what I should have done) is to change your privacy settings so that they can't see your wall, post on your wall, etc. They'll still be able to see certain things, like the pages you are a fan of, but not any personal info about you. You can also choose to "ignore" them on your newsfeed. Kind of like exiling them without taking that final step.

Good luck!

Good idea. Certainly will think about doing it that way, too. :thumbsup:

Better yet, just stay off the social networking sites. I just don't get the appeal, and the drama people tell me about. I lead a simple life, I talk to, or call, people I like, and I don't bother with people I don't. It's pretty simple to figure out where you stand with me, and if you can't figure it out, just ask.

You are probably right (to an extent at least), because what I am dealing with is the same ol' high school stuff. It's almost like a popularity contest. And just negative vibes from one's you know aren't crazy about you. Just don't want to deal with. :thedolls:

Thanks for the responses. :cool:

Tiggerlovr9000
04-06-2010, 03:23 PM

I absolutely agree. I like my privacy. I could see how it could help make some enemies. Why anyone wants to open themselves up like this is a mystery to me. Also quick question I thought hotmail was private but my dh got an e-mail from someone wanting to be his friend. What is that?

TheDuckRocks
04-07-2010, 10:34 AM
I absolutely agree. I like my privacy. I could see how it could help make some enemies. Why anyone wants to open themselves up like this is a mystery to me. Also quick question I thought hotmail was private but my dh got an e-mail from someone wanting to be his friend. What is that?

Facebook will send you notifications about people asking to be your "friend" by email, but they will not give your email address out to anyone unless you are playing the online games and then it would be needed by the gaming company to allow you to play.

magicofdisney
04-07-2010, 11:18 AM
You are probably right (to an extent at least), because what I am dealing with is the same ol' high school stuff. It's almost like a popularity contest. And just negative vibes from one's you know aren't crazy about you. Just don't want to deal with. :thedolls:

Thanks for the responses. :cool:

I never thought I'd join but I have many friends on there and it's been a great way for my brother and I to stay connected.

I agree with the popularity contest. It's so ridiculously asinine. I've seen profiles of people with more than 700 "friends". :confused: That's a little too pretentious for me.

luvdiznee
04-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I never thought I'd join but I have many friends on there and it's been a great way for my brother and I to stay connected.

I agree with the popularity contest. It's so ridiculously asinine. I've seen profiles of people with more than 700 "friends". :confused: That's a little too pretentious for me.

Exactly about the "popularity contest". But at least DS has one and we use that to keep in touch with our family as well. (The ones we don't see everyday.)

murphy1
04-12-2010, 10:06 AM
I personally love keeping in touch with everyone in my life from relatives to old friends, so it's a good tool for that. I think you have to be smart and not put anything on there you wouldn't share to someone's face or the world.

DisneyDog
04-21-2010, 02:39 PM
I've gotten in touch with old friends from HS that I haven't seen in 20 years. Many of those people live right near me, and I have bumped into them, say, at the supermarket, and we were able to have an instant connection because of fb (and I might not have even recognized them otherwise!)

A neat thing happened recently. A HS friend of mine needed to borrow a cupcake tower for a wedding shower. She asked if anyone had one. Another HS friend said she had one, but she lived 1/2 hour away from the friend who needed it. But, the one who had it happens to live right next door to my co-worker. So, through FB, I set up the whole exchange, the friend was able to pick up the cupcake holder from me at my work, and return it to me when she was finished. It all worked out perfectly. So, I am a big fan of FB. :thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-25-2010, 09:54 PM
A co-worker cancelled his FB page and I didn't even know until he told me. I didn't notice the count go down either.

SBETigg
04-25-2010, 10:57 PM
You can also block someone without removing them from your list. They are not notified. You don't get updates from them, but they still get them from you.