PDA

View Full Version : Coronado Springs Resort

Ksmith75
04-02-2010, 07:31 PM
We will be at WDW staying at the POR in 24 days!! But, looking ahead to next year...can anyone share info and experiences that they had at the Coronado. Is it loaded with convention goers? Are the public spaces very crowded? Thanks!

faline
04-02-2010, 07:49 PM
I've stayed here a few times and have been very impressed. It's a moderate but has many of the featurs of a deluxe including room service that exceeds pizza delivery, a spa and a gym. The grounds are beautiful!

Are there conventioneers? There certainly are and it sometimes looked a bit odd to see folks wandering around with name badges and dressed in business clothes. However, they never detracted from our stays and we never found the public areas to be overly crowded.

I would not hesitate to stay at this resort again!

PharmD
04-02-2010, 08:29 PM
We stayed at Cornado Springs last Oct. While the resort is very nice it is one of the resorts that everything is really spread out. If you don't get one of the buildings near the main building you could be in for a long walk. Also while we are not judgemental some of the conventions that they have may not be something you agree with. We had a little one with us who questioned some things he saw so we had to explain it to him as best as possible. Again don't want to ruffle any feathers as I am a live and let live kind of guy. I have friends of all persuasions but it's something my youngest son doesn't come into contact very often. Just to give you a little heads up if you have young children. I loved the food court. You could get a steak for a counter service on the meal plan. Very good food.

buzz2001
04-02-2010, 08:37 PM
I've stayed at CSR 11 times and had all great experiences. :thumbsup: Its my favorite resort.

retiredfigment
04-02-2010, 08:50 PM
We stayed there when it first opened and never again. Too spread out for one thing. Secondly, as a previous post mentioned, check to see if convention is going on. We were there when they were having a convention with middle and high schoolers. Way too noisy and not enough supervision! And yes, I do love kids, but I have my limit. The food court was good though, and have been back for that.

Mousemates
04-02-2010, 11:10 PM
loved the queen beds and walking around the lake around sunset...my only problem with the CSR was with the food court...we had a bad experience...but other than that it was great place to stay and one of the resorts we will return once we make the rounds.

Hammer
04-02-2010, 11:59 PM
I've stayed here a few times and have been very impressed. It's a moderate but has many of the features of a deluxe including room service that exceeds pizza delivery, a spa and a gym. The grounds are beautiful!

Are there conventioneers? There certainly are and it sometimes looked a bit odd to see folks wandering around with name badges and dressed in business clothes. However, they never detracted from our stays and we never found the public areas to be overly crowded.

I would not hesitate to stay at this resort again!

Like Linda said, you could see conventioneers at Coronado Springs, but the same thing could happen at the Boardwalk Inn, Yacht and Beach Club, Contemporary or Grand Floridian, which are also convention resorts. I've actually seen more convention goers when I stayed at the Beach Club then at CSR. It will only detract from your vacation if you let it.

PetefromRI
04-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Very large resort,awesome pools and slide,the best bus service,great foodcourt especially if on the food plan,spa and gym.Some boistrous conventioneers that should really check there language at the door.

bruin1344
04-03-2010, 01:21 PM
CS is a great place to stay. I like the southwest theming. Never found major issues with bus service, crowds, or convention people.

kakn7294
04-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Many people love CSR but we are not among them. We simply didn't care for CSR. We stayed before the refurb and didn't like the decor. Our room and the resort as a whole seemed tired and a bit dirty. There was trash that laid in the corners of the stairwells and corridors for the entire week we were there. I assume the refurb fixed these things. It was also the first time I did not get my request at a Disney resort - all we wanted was to be in the Casitas section, nothing more specific than that. When I asked at the check-in desk, I was told no - no explanation, just a flat no. The staff seemed very business-like and not so Disney-like. We had issues with replenishing the coffee in our room - it took 3 days, 2 notes to the housekeeper, and 3 phone calls to finally replenish our supply - and when they brought it, the woman threw a bunch of towels at me before she gave me the bag of coffee. Our room was so far from everything - we never ate at Pepper Market, we only went to the gift shop once, we ate breakfast at Maya Grill one morning, and we never used the pool (although we were fairly close to it) so I can't really say how crowded the rest of the resort was. The best thing I can say is that it was fairly quiet, had queen beds, and the bus service is the best on property. I'm not in a hurry to stay here again - and it would only be if budget dictated and all the other values and mods were booked.

buzz2001
04-04-2010, 07:59 AM
No one resort at WDW will ever be a consensus for everyone. That's why its great that they offer so many choices. Even if you don't like to stay on property, you can find some great choices off site. Its all comes down to personal preference.

kakn7294 - I'm not sure when you visited but the rooms at CSR have been completely renovated and the addition of the queen beds and flat panel LG tv's are terrific!

KatMark
04-04-2010, 08:56 AM
We've stayed at the Coronado eight of our last nine trips and love everything about it -- from the queen beds, to the great main pool, the friendly CM's, the food at Pepper Market and Cafe Rix, the new nightime lounge, The Rix, the quiet pools, the largest hot tub of the moderates and the fitness center/spa. It is a beautiful resort with a lot of benches within the Casitas by the courtyards with the fountains.

Belster
04-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Just stayed ay CSR this past October 09. Let me start by saying that while it is a beautiful resort with many deluxe accommodations it is just not home for us. I did not at all at any time feel like I was immersed in a Disney atmosphere....please take note of my signature to see that I have stayed many places, but CSR will never happen again for us. Like many posters have said...nothing is close. I love using refillable mugs(it is just part of the wdw experience) but to walk 10-12 minutes if not longer to fill it up was rather cumbersome after a day or 2. In 9 days we flled it 5-6 times. The main pool is very nice. If you have childern they will love the slide...so will you. :blush:

Everyone has a different purpose for traveling to WDW mine is total Disney immersion. I am glad that I stayed at CSR in fact no one could have strayed me from doing so. We have decided to stick with what we know. I spent too much time wishing that we were at one of our other WDW homes rather than CSR.

Belster
04-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Many people love CSR but we are not among them. We simply didn't care for CSR. We stayed before the refurb and didn't like the decor. Our room and the resort as a whole seemed tired and a bit dirty. There was trash that laid in the corners of the stairwells and corridors for the entire week we were there. I assume the refurb fixed these things. It was also the first time I did not get my request at a Disney resort - all we wanted was to be in the Casitas section, nothing more specific than that. When I asked at the check-in desk, I was told no - no explanation, just a flat no. The staff seemed very business-like and not so Disney-like. We had issues with replenishing the coffee in our room - it took 3 days, 2 notes to the housekeeper, and 3 phone calls to finally replenish our supply - and when they brought it, the woman threw a bunch of towels at me before she gave me the bag of coffee. Our room was so far from everything - we never ate at Pepper Market, we only went to the gift shop once, we ate breakfast at Maya Grill one morning, and we never used the pool (although we were fairly close to it) so I can't really say how crowded the rest of the resort was. The best thing I can say is that it was fairly quiet, had queen beds, and the bus service is the best on property. I'm not in a hurry to stay here again - and it would only be if budget dictated and all the other values and mods were booked.

One more thing...like this poster I had also requested the Casitas and was told NO upon arrival. Again, after all of my many visits to wdw this was the FIRST time my request was not honored.

kakn7294
04-04-2010, 09:57 AM
No one resort at WDW will ever be a consensus for everyone. That's why its great that they offer so many choices. Even if you don't like to stay on property, you can find some great choices off site. Its all comes down to personal preference.

kakn7294 - I'm not sure when you visited but the rooms at CSR have been completely renovated and the addition of the queen beds and flat panel LG tv's are terrific!We were there in 2008, prior to the renovations but there were already queen beds and flat panels in the room. It's not a bad resort, it just doesn't appeal to me and with the great service we've gotten everywhere else we've stayed, it just doesn't measure up for me. I'm sure we all have our favorites and this just doesn't do it for me.

dinahvixen
04-04-2010, 10:11 AM
We have stayed at POR our last two visits and LOVED it. So although we weren't at Disney this last trip, we drove to CS to check it out. Had gelato at the food court (ate outside overlooking the water and grounds, very pleasant) walked around the property, played at the beach DD2 and DD8 really liked this area), and left after about an hour of enjoying the grounds. However, decided to not stay there b/c it lacked the lushness we enjoy so much at POR, and I didn't realize it was a convention resort, but the convention was apparently having a dinner on the beach, so while we were there, the staff was setting up tables all over the beach and getting food tables ready - which didn't bother us much - we were just visiting to check out the resort, but if I were paying, I would be upset that the beach wasn't available to us. It was very spread out, and my dd8 really liked the look of the pool. A pretty resort, but not our style. We didn't look in any rooms, just got a feel for the grounds. After POR, my dh thought CS was too open.

mom2morgan
04-04-2010, 11:28 AM
One more thing...like this poster I had also requested the Casitas and was told NO upon arrival. Again, after all of my many visits to wdw this was the FIRST time my request was not honored.

Same thing happened to me at POR - twice. My requests weren't all that specific, either - I just asked to stay in the mansions and got a flat "no".

ThanxForNoticin
04-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Coronado has become our favorite moderate resort. We love the look, the feel, and the theming, and we'd go back in an instant. My boys love the pool and we really enjoy the Pepper Market - great selection and very good food. We've noticed convention folks in the past, but we've never seen any issue with the conventions while we are there. And as mentioned, CSR is one of several Disney resorts that will host conventions.

pokci
04-04-2010, 04:41 PM
My friends just stayed there for a half week for a conference. This is what they had to say when they got back - never again! It was too spread out, so if mid-day you felt like you wanted a break from the conference, it was not worth trekking all the way to the room just to turn around and have to trek back. Room service did not appear until late it the afternoon most days. There is NOTHING around CSR. They also said, as has been said many times on these boards, that CSR is expensive when it comes to food.

Someone mentioned seeing conventioneers at the other places like YC/BC. Or Swan and Dolphin. BUT... at least there you have other resorts, and two theme parks to get to fairly easily. If you aren't thrilled with CSR while waiting for your partner to get out of a meeting, or while spending an afternoon trying to get to do something fun but not too far away, CSR is not it.

I have only passed through it and agree with a previous poster that the Disney experience was not there, didn't feel it.

Now... ask me about Wilderness Lodge and pixie duest will fly! :thumbsup:

DisneyFr33k
04-04-2010, 05:53 PM
We're heading there this October - our first moderate resort as we've only done the values. It was between CSR and POR - this one won due to the theming (DH didn't like the mansions or alligator bayou look for POR) and the newly refurbed rooms. And, having 2 queens is a HUGE perk for us as we are a very tall family of 4. Walking for us is not a problem. Looking forward to it!

Melanie
04-04-2010, 06:18 PM
CSR is now by far my favorite moderate. I can't imagine anyone wanting to stay at a value over CSR, but to each his own. And all the talk of convention goers I just don't get. What exactly do they do that bother people?

kathiep
04-04-2010, 07:17 PM
We love CSR. I know a lof seem to complain about the size, but it is honestly not any bigger or more spread out than CBR. We atmosphere is very laid back and relaxed - a nice break from the park atmosphere. We barely even notice any conventioners during our trips. The main pool is by far, the best of all the moderates. Although the food court is more expensive than that of other moderates, you have more choices available and IMHO, a better quality food to choose from. It's not just the same burgers, salads and chicken. We normally don't use Disney transportation, we drive to the parks and think that CSR is centrally located to all of the parks.

jenperich
04-05-2010, 12:06 AM
I LOVED CSR!!! Granted, I have not stayed there in atleast 10 years. However, the grounds are BEAUTIFUL, the pool is a lot of fun, and their food court is delicious! I was in my teens when I went there, but I found it to be a great resort. I would HIGHLY recommend it.

Gaz10
04-05-2010, 04:35 AM
If your passing CSR just pop in and check it out yourself,have a walk round to get a feel of the place.We have stayed 3 times and would have no problem going back.

mjm12000
04-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I had always wanted to stay at the Coronado, I would see pictures and hear reviews and just thought it looked beautiful. When I finally got to stay there last May I was delighted that it met everyone of my expectations and was even more beautiful in real life.

The grounds are beautiful, it is very large which is good in that you do not really feel crowded. The Mayan temple pool is awesome and the quiet pools are lovely as well. I found in all the resort to be very relaxing. The themeing although not overly Disney character based is intricate and authentic and beautiful, it is like staying in a Mexican paradise. I know a lot of people will say it is too big, to much walking, the food court is confusing (not sure why people find it hard to read and follow basic instructions) but one can find negative things about any resort. So rest assured the resort is beautiful, relaxing and very Disney in its attention to detail.

I see people comment on the conventioners as well... there was two different conventions going on when I was there and not once did it bother me, a guest is a guest why would it bother me if someone is there in a suit for work reasons or if they are there in a bathing suit with 6 kids going to parks... they take up the same room and neither effect me or my experience, so don't let that sway you.

The buses were very convenient to the parks and the trips never seemed to take longer than 15 to 20 minutes.

Over all I love this resort and would stay here over and over again if I was not now a DVC member at the BLT, but even then I am sure I will use my points at some time to stay at the CSR again.

Giselle
04-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Hi! We'll be at POFQ on May 1!!! But we stayed at CSR in November and loved it. We saw some conventioners, but it didn't detract from the stay. I loved the grounds and the pools. The sandy beaches and hammocks were heaven. The quiet pools were so convenient. The rooms are great and comfortable. The transportation was the best I've ever had. The public areas were not crowded. The store is nice also. We lost our KTW on the last day and the mgr. was very helpful to us in that regard. The only negative was the restaurants which weren't my faves. Pepper market food was okay, but the process was time consuming for a QS. The TS restaurant (I forget the name) was not great and the service was not so great either.

mickey_M_lvr
04-07-2010, 03:49 PM
We have stayed there 2 times. You mentioned conventions.....Yes there are lots of people there but think of it to your advantage. These people are not here to use the bus first thing in the morning. They have meetings until afternoon at least.... Breakfast...most of them have a continental breakfast in the convention...which translates to not too many people in line for breakfast.

I know there are a lot of negitive things people have said about this resort...but it is my favorite. :thumbsup:

Melanie
04-11-2010, 02:49 PM
I see people comment on the conventioners as well... there was two different conventions going on when I was there and not once did it bother me, a guest is a guest why would it bother me if someone is there in a suit for work reasons or if they are there in a bathing suit with 6 kids going to parks... they take up the same room and neither effect me or my experience, so don't let that sway you.

Exactly!!!

We just got back from a weekend stay, and CSR didn't disappoint yet again. Love it!