PDA

View Full Version : Universal Halloween Horror Nights

DisneyFr33k
04-01-2010, 03:25 PM
We want to go this trip down to Orlando. Our choices are a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night. Which night would be better? Are weekend nights really crowded? Do weekend tickets cost more?

Any advice would be appreciated!

DVC2004
04-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Weekends usually are priced more and there are more locals s it is crowded. I would pick Thurs out of the choices. Also: if you can swing it, buy the express pass for HHN. The lines and waits are excruciatingly long and get worse the closer you get to Halloween. Average wait time for teh haunted houses was 90 minutes, and it often exceeded that. It's well worth every penny! We bought it last time we went in 2008 and it made a huge difference!

BTW the event is so much fun especially if you are a horror fan and love haunted houses! They really put on a good show over there.

DisneyFr33k
04-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Also: if you can swing it, buy the express pass for HHN.

If we are staying at one of the US hotels, and get the front of the line passes for the regular days, will it apply to the horror nights as well or do we have to pay extra?

thrillme
04-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Nope. The "golden" front of the line pass you get for staying in a universal hotel does NOT apply to the Haunted House nights. You would have to buy a front of the line pass for those. I "think" you can still ride the rides using the hotel pass but the haunted houses are a separate entity.

DVC2004
04-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Right- like Thrillme said the front of the line perk from onsite hotels doesn't apply to HHN. You would have to buy a sep. HHN Express Pass.

Mfarquar
04-02-2010, 09:31 AM
If you consider going opening weekend, you can get a better value, IMO.

Opening weekend is traditionally the last Friday and Saturday in September. If you purchase a Frequent Fear Pass, it is the same price as a 1 night ticket (last year $69.99, if I recall correctly). It allows you to go select MULTIPLE nights and has always included the first Friday and Saturday. So, basically, if you attend opening weekend, you can go 2 nights for the price of 1.

Opening weekend DOES get crowded but my husband and I have been able to do the ENTIRE event in one night for the past 5 years. This is entirely possible if you visit the park during the day, and then go to the "holding area". They will allow you to stay in the park if you have a ticket. The holding area the past 2 years has been next to Finnegan's Pub in Universal. It has worked out great b/c we relax and get dinner in there. Then , about 15-20 mins. before official opening, they open AT LEAST 2 of the major houses to those in the park BEFORE the outside line of people can enter. Last year, we were able to complete 2 of the 8 houses by the time the event was only officially open for 10 minutes.

Whatever we love from the night before or if a line became too long at the end of our first night, we simply hit it up again the second night.

Having the second night makes it much more relaxing and completely negates the need for an Express Pass opening weekend. There is plenty to do in 2 nights. There are always at least 2 shows (including Bill & Ted - very funny), 8 haunted houses and multiple "Scare Zones" that are done brilliantly (you can't escape the Horror haha).

The Express Passes are quite costly and only allow you in each house 1 time each. Scare Zones are everywhere and are out in the open (i.e., no lines).

You will find the normal Universal rides that are open during the event will NOT have ANY lines (even the year the Simpsons opened).

We have always found that Saturdays are more crowded than Fridays. The closer you get to Halloween, the more insane the crowds will be.

In addition, you could look into a "Stay and Scream" pass if you will be visiting at least Universal Studios during the day. This pass allows you to upgrade your regular park ticket to include a 1 night Halloween Horror Night ticket for a reduced cost (depends what the date is, but is usually between $45 and $50). Then, if you were going during a more busy weekend, it would take a bit of the financial sting off buying an Express Pass. This is only worth it if you will only be going 1 night OR the Frequent Fear Pass offered this year didn't include the dates you were interested in attending.

Sorry to keep going on and on, but one more tip: If you do decide to buy an Express Pass, they CAN sell out. I have seen it at least 1 time during opening weekend (but that was years ago). The closer you get to Halloween, the more likely they are to sell out. So, you may want to consider buying it in advance online.

If you decide to go with the Frequent Fear Pass, you will also need to purchase this in advance online.

If you have any questions or want any tips on a plan of attack, feel free to PM me. We go every year!

NJGIRL
04-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I just want to put my two cents in. You have already gotten so much good advice I just want to say don't miss this event if possible. It is the very best Halloween Party we have ever been to and we have been to many since we always vacation in Oct even when we don't go to FL. Everything is done top notch and it is very scary. The "actors" are great and the atmosphere is really creepy. I don't think anyone comes close to Universal for Halloween.

Mfarquar
04-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Agreed, NJGIRL! This truly is THE best Halloween experience I have ever had.

I can't wait to see what the theme for this year will be. Since it's #20, I've heard rumors that the houses will feature the "best of the best" from years past, each offering a new twist. I also heard there may be 9 houses instead of 8 this year, and possibly 1 more scare zone. I can't wait! :)

DisneyFr33k
04-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I just want to say don't miss this event if possible.

We were intendingt to go, but I was warned my children might be a bit too young... DD will be 13 and is a thrill ride junkie, loves vampire movies, Harry Potter, and being scared. DS will be 11, not a thrill ride guy (his favorite is Big Thunder Mtn at Disney), hates "tummy drops" and really was very upset after watching the storming of the beach opening scene in Saving Private Ryan.

And advice as to if we should try it? Is there a back up place I can take DS if things get too intense? We won't be back again in October until the kids are grown to experience this, but don't want to waste our $$ either.

Thanks for all your thoughts!

DisneyFr33k
04-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Sorry - I originally posted this under thet US Horror nights thread, but I meant to start a new one!!

We were intendingt to go, but I was warned my children might be a bit too young... DD will be 13 and is a thrill ride junkie, loves vampire movies, Harry Potter, and being scared. DS will be 11, not a thrill ride guy (his favorite is Big Thunder Mtn at Disney), hates "tummy drops" and really was very upset after watching the storming of the beach opening scene in Saving Private Ryan.

And advice as to if we should try it? Is there a back up place I can take DS if things get too intense? We won't be back again in October until the kids are grown to experience this, but don't want to waste our $$ either.

Thanks for all your thoughts!

medic9016
04-03-2010, 05:45 PM
There is a warning on the website, that it is not suitable for children under 13.

DVC2004
04-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Have you taken them to Haunted Houses before, and if so how did they do? Your 13 year old sounds like he'll be fine but you are the best judge for your own kids. Yes they warn not suitable for kids under 13- I think it's OK as long as you think they an handle it. Mine haven't been yet but last time we went they were only 9 and 10 and I didn't feel they were ready. Mine are 11 and 13- I feel they are ready however they like scary movies and haunted houses so...

DVC2004
04-03-2010, 07:01 PM
No there' s really no back up place to go, other than back to the hotel or outside the parks at Citywalk- they immerse the whole two parks. There's scare zones that just out in the open and actors who walk around- they go all out...

kakn7294
04-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I've never been but hear from a friend who used to work it that it's very intense and not suitable for kids - she recommended 16 and over. Your 11 yo would probably be terrified. Even the 13 yo who likes vampire movies might not be ready for all the other creeps and monsters. HHN are more in line with the slasher movies, not vampire and 1950's monster movies.

NJGIRL
04-04-2010, 08:21 AM
No there' s really no back up place to go, other than back to the hotel or outside the parks at Citywalk- they immerse the whole two parks. There's scare zones that just out in the open and actors who walk around- they go all out...

Agreed

This event is not for the faint of heart. Universal also "suggests" children under 13 not attend because it is so intense. Just a suggestion..... if your daughter is ready for it and your son isn't you could split up the family for one night. Maybe one parent could go to the event and the other do something else with your son. IMO I would not take him if you think he won't be able to handle it.

If you go to Universal's web site you can see video and background stories from last year's party. This will give you an idea of what the party is about.

DisneyFr33k
04-04-2010, 10:45 AM
they immerse the whole two parks.

What do you mean by this? I thought the HHN's were only in Universal studious? Are they in Island's of Adventure too?

Tink1
04-04-2010, 11:09 AM
I had a business trip to Uni when my oldest was 14, I took him and left the 11 yr old home. I used to alternate taking one at a time on business trips - 11 yr old had gone on last trip but thought since this was Uni and not WDW they both should go. Told him HHN is PG-13 and was not an option at 11.

My 14 yr old loved it.

Flash forward 3 years and I take the then 11 year old who is now 14. After the first house (and a death grip on the back of my shirt), he said "now I know why you didn't take me at 11".

A 17 year old friend with us announced he was done and not doing anymore houses. It freaked him out too much.

I love HHN but know adults who find it too intense.

Nanc

DVC2004
04-04-2010, 11:21 AM
What do you mean by this? I thought the HHN's were only in Universal studious? Are they in Island's of Adventure too?

No, both parks are open and the Haunted houses and scare zones span between both parks. I can't remember how you go from one park to another, I think they opened up and routed you around a back way like one big park I think they have you go through a service corridor. The event spans both parks and rides at both parks are open.

DisneyFr33k
04-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks for everyone's feedback. After learning more about how intense this event is, I think our family will pass. Even us as grown ups can't handle too much gorey stuff, so I think if we went we wouldn't have a good time and have wasted over $200.

Thanks again everyone! :rocks:

BowTie7
04-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Please note that this event has moved back and forth between the two parks and one year was held in both parks. I'm sure of its 2010 location.