PDA

View Full Version : Rope Drop Using the International Gateway

MidnTPK
03-30-2010, 03:56 PM
If I'm trying to get to Soarin' as early as possible, am I at a disadvantage if I enter from the International Gateway?

I found several threads that discuss rope drop when using the International Gateway, but there are a few contradictions in those discussions.

Specifically, some say that crowds have already arrived at Soarin by the time folks from the IG are lead by CMs to The Land.
Another thread said that the IG is better because bottlenecks slow down the crowds from the main entrance, and there's so few people entering from the IG that you move nice and quickly.

Also, from what I read, it seems that guests are allowed to walk a bit past Canada, and that's where they encounter the Rope. This sound accurate? Does it vary?

Anybody have personal experience with this, or suggested strategies?

Thanks!

AuntLaura
03-30-2010, 06:48 PM
I was a little confused by your question at the end of your post. If you are entering by the IG ie staying at BC/YC or BW, you will walk through England and past Canada to get to the path to go to The Land. If you are staying at BC/YC or BW, your only option, I believe, is to enter through IG, unless you were to drive to Epcot, park in the lot and enter through the regular entrance. No, this is not a quicker way to get to Soarin ( unless you are a really fast runner, and I don't believe you would be allowed to run to the front ). In my recent experience, some people are allowed into Epcot before the official time, but are stopped right by the Electric Umbrella by MouseGears. Thus, at the offical rope drop, those people will be much closer to the Land and get there before you. No matter - the line is still not that long and fast passes are available first thing in the morning.

Hope this makes sense.

MidnTPK
03-31-2010, 09:07 AM
If you are entering by the IG ie staying at BC/YC or BW, you will walk through England and past Canada to get to the path to go to The Land.
I may not have said it well, but this was my understanding.

In my recent experience, some people are allowed into Epcot before the official time, but are stopped right by the Electric Umbrella by MouseGears. Thus, at the offical rope drop, those people will be much closer to the Land and get there before you. No matter - the line is still not that long and fast passes are available first thing in the morning.
So people entering from the IG are not allowed into the park at all until official opening time?

If so, this is different from several accounts that I have read. My understanding was people were allowed in though the IG before official opening, could walk past the UK and by Canada, but would encounter a 'rope' somewhere in that area, until official opening time.

Anyway, my main concern is that the crowds at Soarin' are like the mob that attacks TSMM at rope drop. It sounds like you're saying it not as big a deal at Soarin'.

MarkC
03-31-2010, 09:55 AM
I've actually had it happen both ways-- being stopped at England and being let up to Futureworld. The last time we were there we were allowed to walk up to the fountain and were directly across from our rivals on the North. They dropped the ropes at the same time and we all went together.

Not sure when you are going, but we will be there in July, and I'll check it out again.

MOJoe
03-31-2010, 02:41 PM
While there certainly is a mob that runs to Soarin at park opening, it's not as congested as TSM. The number of fastpasses seems to be larger too, so it's not essential to be one of the first few in the park. If you go through the IG, you may or may not have a disadvantage getting to The Land. But don't sweat it. You will be able to get an early return on your fastpass, and, if you choose, get on the ride quickly as well. :thumbsup:

MidnTPK
03-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all the input.

hueyrulz
03-31-2010, 08:00 PM
I can back-up the comment by MarkC. We were there this past February during President's Week. We were allowed through the IG entrance a few minutes before park opening. We were very surprised that we were allowed all the way to the fountain for the brief park opening ceremony. At rope drop we merged with the other guests from the main entrance and headed towards Soarin'. Two years ago during April we were only allowed to around Canada.
I thought the rush to The Land was worse than TSM. Cast Members keep you at a walk, but you have to merge to the right going up the walkway, go through the doors and then down below. A guy next to me had to grab the woman in front of him to stop her from getting knocked to the ground. It was a little crazy.

MidnTPK
08-10-2010, 09:06 AM
I just remembered that I had not reported back on my experience.

The last time we were there we were allowed to walk up to the fountain and were directly across from our rivals on the North. They dropped the ropes at the same time and we all went together.
On the morning that I was there in mid-June, this is how the process worked.