PDA

View Full Version : New Star Tours?

DisneyFr33k
03-29-2010, 11:47 AM
I heard here on Intercot that Star Tours is getting a major overhaul. When are they shutting it down? When will the new Star Tours re-open?

azcavalier
03-29-2010, 11:56 AM
All I know is that it's closing down this year sometime, and will reopen in 2011. It was announced at the D23 Expo.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2009/09/12/d23-expo-star-tours-2-confirmed-for-walt-disney-world-and-disneyland/

Strmchsr
03-29-2010, 12:43 PM
As of this week a rumor has surfaced that it will close September 8, 2010 and reopen May 20, 2011. That's unconfirmed, but that fits the time frame first announced last fall. Still if they want it reopened by SWW 2011 that's cutting it close!

MOJoe
03-29-2010, 01:07 PM
That would be great. But with such a major overhaul, i have a hard time believing Disney can rework Star Tours, get it up and running, and go through all the retraining and soft openings in only 8 months. I'm sure they want it ready for SWW in 2011. But it seems to me like there would be too much retooling for a full May grand opening. Their gonna need a lot of help from The Force. :yoda:

Kaps
03-29-2010, 01:17 PM
We are hoping to go in Nov. and my son is a Star Wars nut. I hope it is open when we go or he will be disappointed

Strmchsr
03-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Their gonna need a lot of help from The Force. :yoda:

That's my opinion, too. Like I said, those dates are unconfirmed. We'll have to see if they adjust those dates when they officially announce it.

Strmchsr
03-29-2010, 01:20 PM
We are hoping to go in Nov. and my son is a Star Wars nut. I hope it is open when we go or he will be disappointed

I can pretty much guarantee it won't be open in November. I know the feeling. Both my sons were disappointed when their favorite ride (Test Track) was closed when we were there in January, but it's always a good excuse to go back. :mickey:

#1donaldfan
03-30-2010, 01:17 PM
.....YEAH !!!! at least I get one more ride on the old one (June).....I'm gonna miss it, but anxiously await a newer version......:cool:

Nascfan
03-30-2010, 01:54 PM
.....YEAH !!!! at least I get one more ride on the old one (June).....I'm gonna miss it, but anxiously await a newer version......:cool:

Ditto that. Looking forward to our last rides on the old version and our first rides on the new!

Pop Centurion
03-30-2010, 03:46 PM
I hope they don't close it until the 8th like rumored. this way I can get one (or more) last ride.
Only problem is we decided to skip 2011 for a Disney trip so I'll have to wait extra long to ride the new version. :(

finaldynasty
04-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Any updates on closing or what will be added to this ride?

KylesMom
04-27-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't know - there have been rumoured tests for a few years now on the "New & Improved" Star Tours. I had actually decided it was just a great story/rumor :darth: before the announcement was made, & that Rex would be our co-pilot forever. Instead of just tearing it down/out, I'm glad they've proved me wrong.

Although the simulators, theming & such will need to change, I think the technology/film is already there. DIdn't C3PO (Anthony Daniels) mention some time ago (like twelve months ago) that he was doing sound tracks for it? Yes, there will be a lot of work to do - but I don't think the timeframe is unreasonable . . . :yoda:

brownie
04-27-2010, 11:39 PM
My son is pretty disappointed that it's likely to be closed when we're there after Thanksgiving. I'll miss it, too. I wish I could get another ride on it before it changes.

Dakota Rose
04-29-2010, 10:05 PM
How exciting for Star Tours! But that totally stinks for my son! He's 6 and a new Star Wars junkie *and* tall enough to ride this year. Bummer!

Goofy Pluto
04-30-2010, 01:22 PM
I guess this must be a total refurb. I always thought they could do this by just closing some of the shuttles and keep the ride going. But I guess if they are redoing the queue they would have to close the whole thing. Hopefully it will still be running when we go in August.

CU Tiger
05-03-2010, 12:24 PM
I enjoy Star Tours, but it does need the upgrade and I am glad they are doing it.:mickey: