PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used a hot plate warmer or electric Kettle?

forever a child
03-26-2010, 04:53 PM
I am thinking of purchasing a Electric Kettle from Bed and Bath for about $15. Has anyone ever used one before at home or during travel? Or a hot plate warmer? I am wanting to use it to boil water for DD's oatmeal in the morning and my instant coffee. Yes, I know I will have a coffee pot, but I must admit that I do not remember being a fan of it and honestly given the choice of the two I think I would prefer instant, LOL.:secret: I think these Kettle's are popular with tea drinkers...so I was wondering it it would work good for instant oatmeal water. Does it get pretty hot and about how long does it take? Any suggestions on reasonably priced ones?
I figure since we are in hotels traveling for DD's swim meets every month, it would be useful then too. Not all hotels offer breakfasts and sometimes we have to leave so early that breakfast isn't even being served yet :ack:! Now that's early;) So hopefully we would get good use out of it. Thanks for replies!

KylesMom
03-26-2010, 05:04 PM
I believe Disney's official policy is to disallow appliances in the room, including hot plates due to fire hazard. The food courts all have toaster ovens & microwaves whereby you could warm up water for both oatmeal and tea.

I'm curious - why wouldn't the coffee maker be suitable for this, if you're just looking for hot water?

forever a child
03-26-2010, 05:12 PM
I believe Disney's official policy is to disallow appliances in the room, including hot plates due to fire hazard. The food courts all have toaster ovens & microwaves whereby you could warm up water for both oatmeal and tea.

I'm curious - why wouldn't the coffee maker be suitable for this, if you're just looking for hot water?

I don't think the oatmeal is going to have a great taste using hot water from a coffee pot. The coffee doesnt even have great taste.

I am not sure what the difference would be between an electric kettle or hot plate verses and electric curling iron or hot air blow dryer....just think they all could be hazardous, IMHO.

Tinker Fan
03-26-2010, 07:07 PM
I always use the coffee pot for our oatmeal, in the mornings. 5 trips now and have never had it taste bad. I also didn't use the coffee pot for coffee while in our room only for the hot water so that may have made a difference. Hope this helps.

wdw_bound
03-26-2010, 08:21 PM
I drink a pot of tea every morning (you can take the girl out of England, but you can't take the England out of the girl). My parents and I both have travel kettles. I am not quite as bad as they are though - they even have a kettle that can plug into a car lighter. They are safe as they don't have an exposed element inside. It is very easy to get a quality kettle at a reasonable price - just don't go with the very cheapest model out there.

As for the difference - coffee pots just heat water, while a kettle boils it. Tea is made properly only with boiling water. I also prefer boiled water for other beverages.

snowflakegirl
03-26-2010, 08:47 PM
I use an electric kettle at work to get my tea fixes. I love it. I recently gave my parents an electric kettle as well after my father burned the fourth stove top tea kettle in two years by putting it on to make tea, going outside to his studio (he's a potter) and forgetting that it was on the stove. The electric tea kettle that I got them gets the water hot enough to boil, but past a certain point it will automatically turn itself off...That way, at least, I don't have to worry about him getting started glazing something in the studio and accidentally burning his kitchen down. I think the one I got them was somewhere around $14.

ryca1dreams
03-27-2010, 09:12 AM
I've used a stainless steel Aroma electric kettle mainly at work, but I've also traveled with it. It has lasted me about 3-4 years with no problems and still going. I think it was about $30 (I forget), but it still looks and operates like new.

And it boils water instead of just heating it - perfect for tea. Depending on how much water you put in, it only takes maybe 1-3 minutes.

Dznygrl79
03-27-2010, 04:26 PM
I too always travel with an electric kettle, I have never been told its a no no at disney. I have one I got on sale at wally world for about $10. It is safe on all surfaces and has an auto shutoff feature.

forever a child
03-28-2010, 01:27 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I am going to pick one up. Not sure if we will take it with us to WDW but I think we can use it when we go to our meets. We eat a lot in the hotel room and it would be nice to have an option for soup and oatmeal. We usually take a cooler even if there is a fridge because we bring so much food. I can keep both pretty full. They eat non stop during the swim meets! All my friends like sharing rooms with us cause I have it down to a science now! One girl staying with us laughed at first and then by day three she was like "I see why you bring so much food, didn't think we would eat that much, LOL"

magicalmom
04-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I lived on one in college - not only tea, coffe, and oatmeal but ramen noodles!

crazypoohbear
04-05-2010, 07:08 PM
I thought I had heard years ago that hotels did not allow you to have hot plates, kettles and such because they pose a fire and/or safety hazzard.
I would be worried if I thought people had these things in their rooms and left them on accidentally.

lettripp
04-05-2010, 08:33 PM
I lived on one in college - not only tea, coffe, and oatmeal but ramen noodles!

Ditto... I remember mine heated up VERY quickly too... but it was a gift so I don't know where it came from :confused: