PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Terror

disney1122
03-26-2010, 11:28 AM
5 yr old daughter will be tall enough to ride TOT this trip....is it too much for a 5 yr old?

faline
03-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Depends on the child. I've seen children who absolutely love this ride and others who find it, well, terrifying!

BigRedDad
03-26-2010, 11:38 AM
You need to know your child. As an example, my 4yo daughter loved Test Track up until it looked like the truck was going to hit us. It scared the beejeezis out of her.

motherof4
03-26-2010, 12:00 PM
I am 50 and my 4 children are trying to get me to go on tower of terror and I refuse to to scary for me I am afraid I will never use an elevator again!

JenniferS.
03-26-2010, 12:10 PM
My twins went on at 5 yrs old. They both loved it. Then we went back 8 months later and my son wouldn't go on, but my daughter did 1 time. I think they kind of changed their minds about liking it. If you think this ride is something your 5 yr old would like, then try it and then you will know for sure.

Eric87
03-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Back in '05 my sister was 5 and went on. She cried the whole time in line, but my parents somehow convinced her to calm down and ride it. She loved it!

bruin1344
03-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Depends on the child. It is intense. Can she handle Splash Mountain? If she can, possibly she can handle TOT.

AXOAlum
03-26-2010, 03:43 PM
DS is a thrill seeker (always has been) so he was fine with the drops - we just had to prepare him for the darkness. He doesn't do "dark" well - once we got him over that, he was fine & loved it. It is now one of his favorites (also called "The Towie of Terrier" in our family - that's what he called it when he was about 3yo. I still don't think he knows the real name!)

DVC2004
03-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Go by what you know about your child. One of mine loved it at that age and the other hated it at that age. Fortunately now they both love it.

finaldynasty
03-26-2010, 10:59 PM
My 5 year old loved it last summer. Her 7 year old brother not so much. He like Expedition Everest and she did not. Each child is different. The interesting thing is my 5 year old who is now 6 is my timid child and she has told me several times that TofT is the ride she wants to ride most at DHS. :mickey:

Jenemmy
03-27-2010, 08:54 AM
We are going next month and my 5 year old DD will not stop talking about wanting to try it out. Both of my older children went on it at 5-ish and loved it. In fact, my oldest got off of it crying the first time he went on it. I thought he was scared and needed therapy, but nooooo -- he was worried he would not be able to go on a second time due to the line. LOL.

I do have a suggestion --- you can get videos of a ride thru on You Tube. From the queue line in the lobby on....it will obviously not translate the experience of falling, but will give an idea of dark corridors and ghostly people motioning for you.

thejens
03-27-2010, 09:25 AM
That's a great idea about utube. I find my kids are scared of different things: actual thrills such as drops, surprising things that jump out, and scary content. TOT has all of this, so there is a pretty big fear factor for a five year old! I definitely wouldn't do it unless she REALLY wants to.

kemps@wdw
03-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Depends on the child. Our 3.5 yr old DN rode it, and other than being totally surprised by the drop (as evident by the photo), it didn't bother him in a negative way. I, on the other hand, at 40...something, simply cannot "stomach" the drop thing anymore! :ack:

Bret92
03-28-2010, 11:52 PM
My guess is that they will be scared of it until they ride it, and so excited and think it was so cool that they rode it, but then the thought of doing it again will get them scared again, its a vicious cycle, happened to me at 17 haha, and something similar happened when my 6 yr old sister went on :mickey:

mymickey
03-29-2010, 01:21 PM
We went in 04 when my son was 6. He rode everything and loved it, until we got to the Tower of Terror. He was fine waiting on the ride and during the start of the ride, but it scared him bad. We are going back in June, and he says he is still not going on it again!! I would definately ride everything else before this ride so if your little one does get scared, it is at the end of your trip and not the beginning. For a little background, my son is not timid, and usually doesn't scare easily, but every child is different and yours may be just fine. Good Luck!!

Mickey'sGirl
03-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Well, our youngest DS rode from the age of 2 until he was 4 WITHOUT a problem. He LOVED it and wanted to go back again and again. He flat out refused to ride TofT last summer when he was 5. Who knows? It's a funny age, and I'm finding that things that didn't bother him when he was younger absolutely terrify him now that he's older. Needless to say, Rock'n'Rollercoaster just about made him pass out!

I would show her some footage if you can, and explain the drop, and see when you get there. I'll bet she'll want to ride it once, and her experience there will determine if it's a repeat ride for her or not.

vws_and_disney
03-29-2010, 02:44 PM
I have a friend who practically wraps her kid in bubble wrap when he leaves the house. He is afraid of everything without even giving it a chance. I would say let her do it so she can atleast make the decsion on her own. I also agree with the person who said maybe try to make this your last stop and see how she does on the other "thrill" rides. :thumbsup:

Scrappy2
03-29-2010, 02:52 PM
It really depends on the child. My DD was about 5 when she rode Splash Mountain the first time. She is 18 and still hates the ride. LOL.. We have been to Seaworld and she has rode Journey to Atlantis and loves that ride and the drop is even bigger than Splash Mountain. Go figure with kids.

mouselover93
03-29-2010, 07:24 PM
it might be to much. my 8 year old niece went on and cried her head off and is still afraid of even normal elevators

Kaps
03-29-2010, 08:16 PM
My 6yo was terrified and I was sorry I made him go on. He probably won't go again for years.

KylesMom
03-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Each child is different - work from the little things & go up to the bigger things to see if they can handle them. DS was certainly tall enough at 5, but there was no way that he was ready for ToT at that time.

DS (12) is standing right next to me & said, "NO WAY at 5"! :fit: But that's just him . . . I should add that now it's among his favorites at Disney! As another note, I was 41 before I got the guts to try this one - and now it's my favorite! This is the only attraction at Disney that can make me "scream like a girl".

Beauty908
03-31-2010, 09:56 AM
When I rode it, I hated it (and I'm 20). But there were a lot of kids in line too. However, one little girl about 4-5 yrs old sticks out the most. After we got off the attraction, she was ****** that her dad took her! Down right angry.

As everyone said it depends on the kid--making it your last stop would be a good idea--but you might want a fastpass if you are going later in the day.

To be honest, I would be more concerned about Stitch's Great escape and it's tough to be a bug--those are really scary for little kids.

brownie
03-31-2010, 10:19 AM
It all depends. Our 12 year old wants nothing to do with it while our 9 year old is looking forward to it on our trip later this year.

Jenemmy
05-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Just an update....we were at the World last week and Tower of Terror was the first ride we went on to begin our trip. To say my 5 year old daughter LOVED it, would be a total understatement. We made 3 different trips to the Studios and went on Tower at least 7 times just for her. She also conquered Expedition Everest. Now, she wakes up every morning telling me she needs to ride Tower of Terror and the Bigfoot Ride.

Subsequently, and weirdly, The Great Movie Ride reduced her to tears and she swore she would never go on it again :confused:

MarknTara
05-17-2010, 05:40 AM
If you're not sure whether or not the ride will scare your daughter, why not give it a try once without her? Have her wait with someone else (or go on another ride) while you try it. Then, it may be easier for you to determine whether or not it's too scary for her (I thought it'd be WAY to scary for me, but I actually loved it!). Then, if she does decide to ride, you'll be able to tell her exactly what's going to happen when it's going to happen. Knowing what to expect takes a lot of the scare out of it if she gets nervous!

MarknTara
05-17-2010, 05:42 AM
To be honest, I would be more concerned about Stitch's Great escape and it's tough to be a bug--those are really scary for little kids.

Haha! This is so true! When I was in second grade, my parents took me on it's tough to be a bug and I was TERRIFIED!

wdwvacationeer
05-17-2010, 06:33 AM
At age five, my youngest daughter loved all of the more thrilling rides- especially TOT. She even bought the movie in the shop on the way out. However, when our neighbor's daughter was five and went on she cried and held on to her mom's leg so tight, she left big red marks all over her legs where her fingernails had been. It all depends on the kid.

ANG
05-17-2010, 07:21 AM
It's too much for ME! :secret: but because it makes me very queasy.

Depends on the child, but I know alot of 5yr olds that would be scared. I would take her to the HM first and gauge.