PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness vs Swan

MickeyFanKY
03-26-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm trying to decide if we should stay at the Swan or Wilderness on our July vacation.

Wilderness
Pros: Disney owned, staying at POP the night before so Disney will transfer luggage
Cons: ?????

Swan
Pros: Walking distance to Epcot, DS, and Boardwalk

Cons: Not Disney owned, will not transfer luggage

What do you think????

Jeniflower
03-26-2010, 09:14 AM
both are lovely hotels but if you want the real experince go with the Wilderness lodge. Its beautiful, completely Disney and excellent service. plus the boat ride to MK is amazing

c&d
03-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Having stayed at both, I would go with WL.

DH had to go to a meeting there and it was a nice hotel, and we enjoyed it but it was just lacking that Disney feel. Even though the Swan and Dolphin both use Disney transport to the parks, it just didn't feel like I was in Disney.

Scar
03-26-2010, 09:28 AM
If you don't have kids then the obvious answer is The Swan. If you do, then I would base the decision on how many days you will be spending in MK vs Epcot and DHS. Less time on the buses = better vacation for me.

There is a recent thread about The Dolphin and "Disney Magic." You will see that the majority of people think it is a great hotel. I've never stayed at The Swan but i'm sure it is similar to The Dolphin.

MidnTPK
03-26-2010, 09:49 AM
I've never stayed at The Swan but i'm sure it is similar to The Dolphin.
I've stayed at both the Swan and Dolphin and several Disney resorts. They are very similar.

I suggest making the decision based on where you'll be spending more time. Factoring in that the Swan is walking distance to TWO parks, not a boat ride away from just one.

To think that you don't feel like you're in WDW when staying at the Swan seems quite silly to me. Especially when you're sitting on your balcony watching both Illuminations and Wishes. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=143149) Or looking out at the Ear-ful Tower or Fantasmic in the Studios.

And the Swan is far superior to any Disney-owned resort in at least one way: the heavenly beds.

mjm12000
03-26-2010, 12:56 PM
I have not stayed at either resort so i can only give my opinion based on what I would personally choose. I would pick the Swan due to its closeness to Epcot, and DHS, also the great minigolf courses and it is more my taste in decor than the wilderness lodge. I think too I would not like taking a boat to a park as I find them very slow.

Scar
03-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Also, the rooms are bigger at the Dolphin than at the WL, so I assume they're bigger at the Swan as well.

Jasminegirlsmom
03-26-2010, 03:33 PM
DD and I stayed at the Swan on our last trip. We loved being so close to both Epcot and DHS and because we were so close we didn't feel like we were missing any of the magic. Especially when you can look out your window and see the parks or have a nice view of the Boardwalk.

jnfr2424
03-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Cons: Not Disney owned, will not transfer luggage

What do you think????

I have done split stays from the CR to the Dolphin and they did offer luggage transfers sdo I am going to assume that this is also extended to the Swan as well.

You really have a tough choice here
one of my fave deluxes is WL. I love lounging out at the resort. The details alone can actually make you forget that you are in Disney World! On the other hand I am a huge lover of the Swan and Dolphin - the location is just amazing: the wonderful stroll to Epcot, Boardwalk and the water taxi to DHS.
I hate when people say "the Disney Magic" especially when you room can have the picture perfect views of Illuminations or DHS

GrmGrninGost
03-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Wilderness Lodge is my favorite resort in all of WDW! No doubt in my mind which one to pick! :mickey:

DiannaJ
03-26-2010, 06:26 PM
I haven't stayed at the Swan or Dolphin but I have stayed 3 times at WL and love it. The resort is not as big as most of the others and so that makes everyone alot closer to get to so you don't have to hike to the restaurants and store are right there close to the rooms and went you have sore feet that is definalty a benefit. Also love the fact that transportation is easy to get to and have never seen it so crowded that you can't get on the bus or boat and not have a seat. Great staff also.:mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
03-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Quite the dilemma! Deciding between two very nice deluxe resorts! Good problem to have! :thumbsup:

You are right - the luggage transfer program does not include the Swan/Dolphin resorts, so you'll have to pay for a cab on that one. (Seems like jnfr2424 got lucky on that one!)

For theming? There is absolutely no question: The Wilderness Lodge wins hands down. It just might be Disney's crowning achievement in "Themed Resorts." The attention to detail is amazing - the sounds, smells, sights... incredible job on this particular resort.

The Swan does have (IMO) the better location - you can walk to the Boardwalk district, Epcot, and DHS with ease. I do not care for the architecture of the resort, the appearance of the two buildings, nor the so-called "theme." But I do love their beds and I do love the location.

Keep a few things in mind:
The Swan will not provide you with DME to return to the airport.
If you have a car, you'll pay to park at the Swan.
There is a mandatory resort charge at the Swan ($12 daily, I believe).
All of these are "hidden costs" of the resort.

Both have great eateries, but the Swan clearly beats up on the WL in that category - the sheer number of options within the resort and/or walking distance is amazing.

Good luck with your decision - tough choice, but a good "problem" to have! :mickey: