PDA

View Full Version : Dumbo vs. Space Mountain

darthmacho
03-26-2010, 09:02 AM
:mickey: With a little less than 5 months until our August vacation to WDW, I've been trying to get the kids excited about the trip by discussing my plans with them. i got them psyched up by letting them in on how on our first full day we are going to start our day by having breakfast with Winnie the Pooh and friends at Crystal Palace, and how we'd be in the park while most of the people were still lining up outside the gate. They loved that idea. I also told them how I thought it would be a nice tradition to ride Space Mountain first (like on my first trip in 98) before the line go too long, and asked them what they thought of that.
Well, they conferred briefly and they came back with, "We want to ride Dumbo!"
Well I was shocked because I thought my 9yo would go for the SM idea and the little one would follow. However, the older one always recalls me telling her how Dumbo was her first ride when she was two, and since it was her sister's first trip at age 6, that it would be a nice tradition to start with Dumbo.
Well, I already know what the answer is, but I wanted to pose the question to the enlightened here at Intercot:

Should I go with my kids' suggestion, and ride Dumbo first, or should I establish what I think would be a better tradition, and a better idea, which is to go on Space Mountain first?

I want to hear what YOU think!

Jeniflower
03-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Dumbo is infintely more fun that SM. Go with the elephant and your clearly intellegent Children:elephant:

KylesMom
03-26-2010, 09:11 AM
I also told them how I thought it would be a nice tradition to ride Space Mountain first (like on my first trip in 98) before the line go too long, and asked them what they thought of that.
Well, they conferred briefly and they came back with, "We want to ride Dumbo!"
Well, you asked 'em, and they told you. Sorry, I think you have to go with Dumbo on this one since you gave them a voice in the decision.

Look at it this way - you can always grab a FP for Space Mountain whereby you can't for Dumbo - at least, not in its current form. Who knows after the refurb?

That being said, our family's traditional first attraction is Space Mountain all the way! Last summer when it was down, it felt like we were really missing something first thing!

c&d
03-26-2010, 09:12 AM
I would fastpass Space Mtn. and head over to Dumbo.

Scar
03-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Well, if you really want to rip the hearts right out your kids, go to Epcot first.

Go to Dumbo... Start the SM tradition next time.

RBrooksC
03-26-2010, 09:26 AM
I agree with getting a Fast Pass for Space Mountain and then get in line for Dumbo.

Since Dumbo is a notoriously slow loading attraction and your children's heart are set on doing that first, it wouldn't add much to the start of the day to swing over to SM, get the FP, and then head to Fantasyland for Dumbo.

And if you wanted to still do the "big reveal" of Fantasyland through the castle, you could go to SM, then back-track to the front of the castle and go into Fantasyland.

Darbylew
03-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Sounds like you will be doing Dumbo first. You
gave them the decision so there you go flying
on Dumbo!!!!:dumbo: Just grab a FP for SM.
Have a fun trip! :D

AXOAlum
03-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Isn't it funny how kids change everything for us - even our "traditions" at WDW! We always did Pirates first on every trip without fail. When the kids came along (well kid first) it changed to Dumbo. Now we go in & get our photo taken and then DH breaks right to get FP for Space while we go through through the castle to get in line for Dumbo.

I agree with the previous poster about the FP system - you can't do it for Dumbo, and if you aren't there first thing, you either don't ride or you wait in a very long line.

Go start your new tradition & enjoy yourselves - the time will come when they don't want ANYTHING to do with us lol! :mickey:

btharvey
03-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Well, you asked 'em, and they told you. Sorry, I think you have to go with Dumbo on this one since you gave them a voice in the decision.

Don't have to go any further than that.

MOJoe
03-26-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm with the kids too. Dumbo is absolutely the right choice. Especially immediately after a Big breakfast. So get a fastpass for SM and go enjoy Fantasyland before the crowds get too heavy.

lettripp
03-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Well, if you really want to rip the hearts right out your kids, go to Epcot first.

This made me chuckle... but yea, I'm going to have to agree. SM might be a good tradition for when their older but right now they want Dumbo... so give them Dumbo!

btharvey
03-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Start the SM tradition next time.Hmm ... whose tradition is being started ... yours or theirs? Perhaps their tradition is now and always will be Dumbo. When they get old enough, you'll go separate directions anyway.

mjm12000
03-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Go with the kids, Dumbo all the way... I love doing Dumbo first as the line up for that is crazy once the park opens, where as space mountain (which is always my second ride) has fast pass and also faster loud times so if you do Dumbo first you can head straight back over to SM and ride it right after as well...

bruin1344
03-26-2010, 12:50 PM

I agree

FriendsofMickey
03-26-2010, 02:21 PM
As the wise Intercotees already stated: Dumbo.

If you wait, then you will spend a lot more time in line later in the day.

Now, my girls hands down would say Splash Mountain. :mickey: So, count yourself lucky they don't want to get you wet first thing! :D

darthmacho
03-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Actually, the decision was made before I posted to go with Dumbo. It was never in doubt, but I wanted to get everyone's uncolicited opinion on the matter, and you all confirmed what I already knew: Dumbo would be our first ride of the day. :mickey:

Thanks for the replies!

Minnie97
03-26-2010, 06:39 PM
I would say Dumbo:mickey:

Disney4us2
03-28-2010, 02:06 PM

:ditto:

Kaps
03-28-2010, 02:13 PM

I would agree with the fastpass

Scrappy2
03-28-2010, 02:20 PM
If the kids want Dumbo then Dumbo! With kids that age then it is all about the kids! Hope you have a great trip!

dtootsie42
03-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Dumbo all the way! :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Soon enough they won't give Dumbo a second glance.
But I can still remember taking my daughter and niece on Dumbo when they were little.

You can do SM forever...

timberho
03-28-2010, 09:27 PM
I can't believe you are even asking! Your older son makes a decision to make his lil sister happy and you are thinking about overriding it? let alone the fact that if you plan to ride dumbo you should head to that ride first thing over any other ride in that park!

Dumbo all the way.

darthmacho
03-29-2010, 12:16 PM
I can't believe you are even asking! Your older son makes a decision to make his lil sister happy and you are thinking about overriding it? let alone the fact that if you plan to ride dumbo you should head to that ride first thing over any other ride in that park!

Dumbo all the way.

:mickey: If you read the thread closely, you might have realized two things. 1. I don't have a son. and 2. We were going on Dumbo the whole time. I merely posted this to solicit opinions about the situation. I tried to pose it as a question figuring it would be the best way to get responses. Thanks for posting, because you're right! :thumbsup:

vws_and_disney
03-29-2010, 04:11 PM

hahaha

Goes4FastPass
03-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Dumbo
FP Peter Pan (a.k.a. Honey, the Queue is Crazy Long)
Standby Space Mountain