PDA

View Full Version : Magic Kingdom open till 2am?

forever a child
03-25-2010, 12:23 PM
One of the days of our stay, we noticed MK open until 2am! :D I assume that is one of the EMH nights but I have never stayed for an EMH. I am wondering what will still be open that late and what will it be like in terms of crowds? Will it be worth it to stay? Any advise? Would like to do it, I think it will be interesting to be in the parks late when most young children and families will be back "home" at their resorts.:mickey:

Strmchsr
03-25-2010, 12:51 PM
That could be an EMH night, but not necessarily. Given when you're going to be there, I would assume it's probably EMH and not due to huge crowds like this coming week.

As for what's open - the big attractions are all open. Some of the smaller shops and attractions might close.

In general, EMH in the evening tends to be fairly crowded, but not overwhelming as only resort guests can get on the rides.

bruin1344
03-25-2010, 12:59 PM
I love EMH PM at MK. Pretty much all attractions stay open until 2AM. Crowds die down as the night goes on. MK is so nice when its lighten up at night.

Captain_Nemo
03-25-2010, 01:08 PM
its great! especially walking down main street at 2am when it is practically empty. when I did it there was barley anyone there after 12:00am. no lines for anything, walk up get right on. try PotC in an empty boat by ur self around that time, its erie being alone with all empty boats in front of you

mjm12000
03-25-2010, 01:33 PM
It is so worth staying until it closes, the crowds die down after midnight as all the kids and families go home. You can walk onto most things and ride over and over again, some rides are more creepy like pirates as someone mentioned and haunted mansion with no one around you it is awesome...

DizneyRox
03-25-2010, 02:43 PM
The first couple of hours of a MK evening EMH are almost unbearable IMHO, granted we go during peak times, but I didn't even attempt to get on a ride for the first hour and it took the better part of the second hour to get across the park.

But, the crowds will die down, yes it's late, yes it's only resort guests on the rides, but it's still MK and MK is a mad house! The only time I've ever experienced MK without a ton of folks was our Honeymoon Photo Session at MK before it opened. I stay away from MK if I can help it!

joonyer
03-25-2010, 02:54 PM
If the 2.am closing is the pre-published time on the official WDW calendar, then it is NOT likely an EMH night. EMH hours take place after the "official" closing time, whatever that might be; 9, 11 or midnight. 2 am closings usually happen on holiday weekends, or especially busy, crowded times of year.

forever a child
03-25-2010, 04:12 PM
May 23rd (sunday) they are open until 2am according to the WDW website. We are trying it this year! Can't wait!:woohoo:

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
03-25-2010, 04:34 PM
I am looking at the MK calendar for May 23 right now and it says:

"Park Hours
9:00 AM - 11:00 PM

Extra Magic Hours
11:00 PM - 2:00 AM"

In other words, the park closes to non-resort guests at 11:00 PM that night and remains open for EMH only for WDW resort guests until 2:00 AM.

That being said, I have attended very late EMH at MK twice in the past 9 months -- once until 3:00 AM, and the other until 2:00 AM -- and it really does stay fairly crowded for the first hour or so. If you are willing to stay into the wee hours of the morning to catch the last hour of EMH, it truly is great because you frequently can stay on rides without getting off at the end. I rode Splash Mountain 3x in a row without getting off starting after 2:30 AM. In fact, the last time around didn't even start until 3:00 AM -- rather than kicking us out, the CMs let us ride one more time. I have done the same thing on BTMRR and Space Mountain.

forever a child
03-25-2010, 04:43 PM
I am looking at the MK calendar for May 23 right now and it says:

"Park Hours
9:00 AM - 11:00 PM

Extra Magic Hours
11:00 PM - 2:00 AM"

In other words, the park closes to non-resort guests at 11:00 PM that night and remains open for EMH only for WDW resort guests until 2:00 AM.

That being said, I have attended very late EMH at MK twice in the past 9 months -- once until 3:00 AM, and the other until 2:00 AM -- and it really does stay fairly crowded for the first hour or so. If you are willing to stay into the wee hours of the morning to catch the last hour of EMH, it truly is great because you frequently can stay on rides without getting off at the end. I rode Splash Mountain 3x in a row without getting off starting after 2:30 AM. In fact, the last time around didn't even start until 3:00 AM -- rather than kicking us out, the CMs let us ride one more time. I have done the same thing on BTMRR and Space Mountain.

Thanks HiHo! My DD deals with all the park planning;)..so I never even looked at the site. She just has a WDW planner printed up with park hours for us. Gotta love teenagers! They can be helpful!:thumbsup:

As far as the crowd level, I sort og guessed first hour will be the same as usual. But was hoping it cleared out after a while. My DD with be in heaven if she gets to stay on her favorite rides multiple times! I think we are gonna do an early afternoon nap to prepare for late hours!:blush:

Nascfan
03-25-2010, 04:54 PM
I think we are gonna do an early afternoon nap to prepare for late hours!:blush:

That's one of the best pieces of advice, and you gave it to yourself! :thumbsup:

If you can stay until the end, it should be pretty enjoyable. Grab a snack or Dole Whip or something for that first hour and people watch. Head to whatever your favorite rides are after that and it should at least be bearable. The last hour should be the easiest as far as riding goes. Have fun!

beksy
03-25-2010, 10:00 PM
We did the 2 a.m. MK EMH once and had a great time. I was surprised my sister stayed awake but she did. We rode Dumbo for the first time in years since there was hardly a line (Mickey and Minnie were riding it right before us which was a cool surprise). Definitly worth it IMHO. :mickey:

Morpheous
03-26-2010, 06:44 AM
As far as the crowd level, I sort og guessed first hour will be the same as usual. But was hoping it cleared out after a while. My DD with be in heaven if she gets to stay on her favorite rides multiple times! I think we are gonna do an early afternoon nap to prepare for late hours!:blush:

It definitely does die down after the first hour or so, we had 2 MK EMHs during our trip last august and we went to both stayed till 1-2am both times. My cousins and I had a great time! Though we got Hungry and found all the counter service places were closed. Fortunately the popcorn stands were still open!

We were able to enjoy just about everything we wanted to more than once during MK EMH. We actually have planned our trip this August around both MK and Epcot's EMHs since we enjoy doing both a great deal! :thumbsup:

forever a child
03-26-2010, 09:53 AM
It definitely does die down after the first hour or so, we had 2 MK EMHs during our trip last august and we went to both stayed till 1-2am both times. My cousins and I had a great time! Though we got Hungry and found all the counter service places were closed. Fortunately the popcorn stands were still open!

Oh, this is good to know. My DD is always hungry! (swimmer's always are) So I guess we will have to plan on brining or purchasing our snacks before it gets to late! Thanks!

mjm12000
03-26-2010, 12:49 PM
the food suggestion is a good one I too have found that by two AM you get hungry and non of the small food stands seem to be open so i would grab something that is wrapped to carry with me like a cookie or rice crispy snake or the like ... got to keep fueled up for those late night rides.

Just-Keep-Swimming
03-27-2010, 12:37 AM
im the daughter & the swimmer (hence the username) and as my mother said i am SOOOOOOO excited about this Disney trip!:woohoo: it will b our first trip in 5 years!!!!:silly: this time i will b able to experience it in a whole new way as im not so young anymore. being out that late sounds so fun! what teen doesnt want to be out in disneyworld till 2am?? my poor mother...:minnie:
:tink:

wishes will also b at 10 i believe that evening. we will c the show itself earlier in our trip so i was hoping to find an outdoor ride we could b on during the fireworks!!! what is a good ride for viewing? i thought maybe the dumbo ride... actually, i dont think we have ever ridden on dumbo or aladdin before...:blush:

also, this is off the subject but... i loved all those 2009 commercials with the "your invited" cards and the balloons that follow you. sadly, it wont b my birthday in may but i still want one of those mickey balloons!!!!:balloon: does anyone know where to find one? i have heard of some that are inside of a clear round balloon. i would prefer one like the ones in the commercials though if they sell them. actually, i would probably have the urge to pop the outside clear balloon:blush: ...i may even make myself a "your invited" envelope to put all my planning papers in!

Morpheous
03-27-2010, 07:50 AM
wishes will also b at 10 i believe that evening. we will c the show itself earlier in our trip so i was hoping to find an outdoor ride we could b on during the fireworks!!! what is a good ride for viewing? i thought maybe the dumbo ride... actually, i dont think we have ever ridden on dumbo or aladdin before...:blush:

Well, I may be mistaken but I think several of the attractions in Fantasy Land get shut down temporarily (Such as Dumbo) during wishes. As for a ride that offers a unique view of the Fireworks, it would be almost impossible to time but.... Splash Mountain. We lucked out once and came down the big drop on Splash mountain during the Fireworks it was quite an experience. Of course you would only get to enjoy the beauty for a few moments, but definitely a unique experience!

forever a child
03-28-2010, 10:42 AM
im the daughter & the swimmer (hence the username) and as my mother said i am SOOOOOOO excited about this Disney trip!:woohoo: it will b our first trip in 5 years!!!!:silly: this time i will b able to experience it in a whole new way as im not so young anymore. being out that late sounds so fun! what teen doesnt want to be out in disneyworld till 2am?? my poor mother...:minnie:
:tink:

also, this is off the subject but... i loved all those 2009 commercials with the "your invited" cards and the balloons that follow you. sadly, it wont b my birthday in may but i still want one of those mickey balloons!!!!:balloon: does anyone know where to find one? i have heard of some that are inside of a clear round balloon. i would prefer one like the ones in the commercials though if they sell them. actually, i would probably have the urge to pop the outside clear balloon:blush: ...i may even make myself a "your invited" envelope to put all my planning papers in!

Yep, this is DD. And yes, she was up past 1am when she posted this...so you see what I am up against! LOL :crazy:

goofygirl67
03-28-2010, 11:59 AM
A couple of years ago in May there was EMH at MK till 3am. I was there until at least 3:30am, I have a picture of me with the mainstreet clock in the background. I had so much fun, I was riding so many rides without getting off.:cloud9:

mainemajor
04-18-2010, 07:11 PM
I was at MK in March when the park posted closing time was midnight, but it stayed open until 1 am. During the day the park was close to capacity, but after the 11 pm Spectromagic parade the park emptied out completly. there was no line for spash, big thunder, pirates, Snow White. The Cast members would ask if you wanted to stay on or get off. The only ride with a line was Space Mt. Even at midnight there was a 90 minute wait.
Enjoy your late night visit there. I wouyd recommend you go and have LOTS OF FUN

Touchdown
04-18-2010, 07:39 PM
July 1st one year thanks to EMH the park was open until 3 am :eyes:

It was a blast, there was no one in Fantasyland during that last hour, we did every ride still open (which was everything but the Tea Cups.)

That next morning we somehow were still at the gate for opening at Epcot :coffee:. Thank goodness it was Epcot, which allowed us to take it nice and slow and relax that day.

LudwigVonDrake
04-19-2010, 06:08 AM
As it gets later there will be less and less people. Stay as late as you can and ENJOY! :wave:

wifey5794
04-19-2010, 08:34 AM
to ride Big Thunder Mountain RR during the fireworks!

crltkcagle
04-19-2010, 09:46 AM
We will be there too on that night! See ya there!!!! Can't wait!!!!

forever a child
04-19-2010, 11:12 AM
to ride Big Thunder Mountain RR during the fireworks! Yep, DD has that on her list to do!

We will be there too on that night! See ya there!!!! Can't wait!!!!

Hopefully we will be the only ones in the park!:thumbsup: See ya there! Have never done such late night hours so we can't wait!!!:mickey:

Goes4FastPass
04-19-2010, 02:56 PM
In our experience the beginning of MK EMH is busy.

My guess is, it's 11pm, all of the other parks are closed and some people across WDW's 22,000+ resort rooms are saying to each other, "It's Disney World! We're on vacation! We'll sleep wwhen we get home!"

but

by the last hour or so those eager "Park Commandos" are draggin' and the park gets really fun.

Casey's Hot Dogs is open 'til the end of EMH I think. Nothing like fries and sitting out by Casey's looking up at Cinderella Castle at 1:45am.

It's big fun.