PDA

View Full Version : Carousel of Progress

homeschool mom
03-25-2010, 10:43 AM
I was just looking over trip notes from our last trip to WDW and I had written down these questions. I thought maybe someone on here may know the answers or at least point me in the right direction.

1) Did Walt model the Dad in CofP after a specific person?

2) In the last scene of CofP, there is a bulletin board in the kitchen with photos on it. Does anyone know if the photos have any significance?

Strmchsr
03-25-2010, 01:02 PM
I have never heard of Father being modeled on a specific person, but I'm sure he was. Just not someone I've discovered.

The pictures at the end are family members of Imagineers who worked on the redesign in 1994.

Just an FYI of more trivia - When the show was restored to its present incarnation in 1994, Jean Shepherd (narrator of Christmas Story) provided the voice of the father; Rex Allen, the original voice was called in to do the grandfather. Janet Waldo, the voice of grandma, was also the voice of Judy Jetson in The Jetsons. Mel Blanc (Bugs Bunny among others) provided the original voice of Cousin Orville and that voice has been retained since the beginning (which is why it sounds different than the quality of the other voices). Mel's son, Noel, also did a voice for the show.

Captain_Nemo
03-25-2010, 01:23 PM
I always kinda wondered is it supposed to be the same family in the future scene, or the next generation as grand father being father in the earlier scenes.

wdwfansince75
03-25-2010, 04:44 PM
According to several background sources, it is supposed to be the same family...Kids age about 3 years per scene
I am still intrigued by the third child, the little girl in the first scene, pumping the washing machine for her mother....never named, and does not show up in other scenes....She was also in the World's Fair version..

In World's Fair version, daughter was Jane...she is Patricia in WDW version. Also in Worlds Fair version, son and daughter are at airport, picking up Grandma and Grandpa, who are arriving by jet plane...Final scene only has Mother and Father.

joelkfla
03-25-2010, 07:04 PM
IIRC, wasn't Jane also the name of the daughter in Horizons?

I had heard claims that Horizons was a continuation of COP, but never saw anything official saying that.

CaptSmee
03-25-2010, 10:16 PM
IIRC, wasn't Jane also the name of the daughter in Horizons?

I had heard claims that Horizons was a continuation of COP, but never saw anything official saying that.

Horizons was a continuation of COP's theory. There's a nod to it in the scene where Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is playing.

Tink#64
03-26-2010, 12:09 AM
What a great thread! COP is one of my all time fav's! Thank you all for the info! :D

beksy
03-26-2010, 01:19 PM
I love this ride too but always end up driving my sister crazy afterwards because of questions like these. I've heard so many theories about the third daughter I'd love to know who she is "officially" and the aging of the family always gets me too. :mickey:

homeschool mom
03-26-2010, 03:29 PM
quoted by Captain_Nemo
I always kinda wondered is it supposed to be the same family in the future scene, or the next generation as grand father being father in the earlier scenes.

I always thought it was the same family of characters placed in different eras.

Captain_Nemo
03-26-2010, 04:50 PM
I always thought it was the same family of characters placed in different eras.

yes but grandpa says

Grandpa "ya know in my day......"
Daughter:oh no! your not going to tell us about the old days again where you diden't even have a car phone"
Grandpa:"for a while we diden't even have a house phone"

making me think grandpa was father from the turn of the century scene (even though there is a phone in that scene it was new technology at the time)