PDA

View Full Version : sci Fi dine in theater

gollybass
03-25-2010, 02:48 AM
hello all, just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this place, last time i was in Orlando I was about 10 and we went, and I really enjoyed it then. Has it changed much in about 15 years? Will 2 of us be able to get our own 'car'?

jenperich
03-25-2010, 05:26 AM
Sci-Fi is one of my most favorite places to eat. I can tell you it hasn't changed in the past 8-10 years. When we were two last Oct we sat in someone else's back seat. It's a must for every trip we take.

azcavalier
03-25-2010, 06:29 AM
Oh man, the responses to this are going to be all over the board.

We like the Sci-Fi. I've never had *bad* food or service here and we've eaten dinner here about four times. It's dark, and can be a little cramped. It's unique, though, and has great theming. The food is average, but let's face it, you're not going here for the food.

Jeffybob
03-25-2010, 06:45 AM
Agreed ... it is about the theme, not the food.

The food at the Sci-Fi is nothing to write home about but you are not going there for a fine dining experience; and a party of two will share a car. It is not a place that we do again and again.

When at The Hollywood Studios, we would rather eat at the Prime Time due to the interaction with the servers and the love of comfort food. Watching retro TV shorts while sitting in a 50's style dining room is another plus. PS ... no elbows on the table otherwise you'll be singing "I'm a little tea pot" for all to hear and don't forget to clean your plate.

P.S. ... whatever your choice, be sure to make your reservations.

Hope this helps.

-Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Member since '98) :mickey:

2010 - BWV - Valentines Day
2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV
1999 - BWV, HH, VB
1998 - BWV, Swan

Ropachs
03-25-2010, 07:18 AM
We enjoyed the experience. I think we all had burgers, which were fine. There were 6 in our party so we took up a full 3-row car...for which I am thankful...I don't think I would like another party to be sitting that close in the same car - just something to keep in mind.

wdwvacationeer
03-25-2010, 07:20 AM
We ate there in December and had a great time. Atmosphere was fun, food was as expected and our server was fun- fast and entertaining. We thought it was hilarious when we found out we had a "hitchhiker" with us. We were a party of four and were so interested in ourselves and looking around the restaurant that we didn't notice a single diner had been seated at the back of our car until the server came over to our car talked to us and then said "Hey, hitchhiker!" to the man in the rear table of our car. We all turned around and looked at this poor man and started laughing- we didn't even know he was there. So, if you go, you might end up being hitchhikers in the rear table of the car if they are looking to fill up all seats. It was alot of fun though!

yjgirl32
03-25-2010, 08:27 AM
We too had a great time. Server was great and friendly. I didn't mind the food but I knew going into it that people had said food was not the greatest. Milkshakes were very good. Have a great trip.

homeschool mom
03-25-2010, 08:35 AM
When DH and I went last April for our anniv. trip, I was hoping to get seated in one of the cars' back seats, but we were seated at one of the "flying saucer" tables in the rear of the restaurant instead. It was a little disappointing.

Our server was great, milkshakes were yummy, food was average.

Dznygrl79
03-25-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm a solo traveler so I am always a tag along n someone elses backseat...
But this is my absolute fav at DHS. It is all about the theaming, I can't say about the milkshakes but they mix a good drink or two. Also I have never had a meal I didn't like. I enjoy just watching the movie screen and the atmosphere.

lettripp
03-25-2010, 08:56 AM
I went here for my first time a couple years ago, and don't have a nagging need to repeat it again... It has a unique atmosphere but it is not conducive of conversation. If you liked it before, I assume you'll enjoy it again. I'm just not in love with the place...

Kaps
03-25-2010, 09:37 AM
A little dark but the food was good. I would eat here again without any problem.

Stu29573
03-25-2010, 11:54 AM
We ate therer in June and actually got in at lunch with no ressies! (I don't suggest trying that tactic- we just got lucky)
Anyway, we loved the atmosphere and the B Movie trailers on eth big screen. We were in the back of a car and didn't much notice the people in the front. All we had to eat was spinach dip and milkshakes, but it was wonderful (and I don't usually like spinach dip that much). Our server took a picture of us from the back of the car and I was able to photoshop in a "Just Married" like it was painted on the back. Fun!

disney1122
03-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Pretty much same as what others posted....theme/atmosphere is AWESOME! It's dark in there and the food is just OK. I think everyone should eat there for the experience at least once. It's not one of our faves though.

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-25-2010, 02:37 PM
We always eat here when we have newbies with us. It's just so "Disney" to us.

Theming = GREAT!
Food = Alright! (a bit more upscale Applebees/TGIF/Champs food)
Drinks = better!

We will be taking our dd's here for their first time in October. Can't wait for it. :thumbsup:

joonyer
03-25-2010, 02:59 PM
We always go there for lunch, becuae I know they have great burgers, onion rings and milkshakes. The dinner menu items consistently get either loved it or hated it reviews. Think of it this way. it's not a fine dining establishment, it's like a drive-in burger joint. I wouldn't order penne pasta or pan-seared salmon at a drive in and expect it to be very good. Stick with the burgers and you'll enjoy the food.

phlo8810
03-25-2010, 04:59 PM
We've eaten there 4 or 5 times. Always good. Milkshakes are the best and I always go with a Reuben too. Never had to split a car with anyone even with only two of us.

jnfr2424
03-25-2010, 05:58 PM
:thumbsup:I love the BLT soup here! As others have posted love the atmosphere and we always go during lunchtime so I can have the burger and onion rings! :thumbsup:

crltkcagle
03-25-2010, 07:11 PM
:sick: Is the way I feel about the food!
:thumbsup: is the way I feel about the theme of the place.
The kids enjoy going to this restaurant but the food is awful!

MickeyFanKY
03-25-2010, 09:01 PM
We have ate there a few times. We go for the theme not the food. However I must say my DH (who is very picky) loved is Reuben last time we were there.
We will be returning to WDW in 107 days (with 3 first timers) and this is the first place I booked. It is always a good time. We love it.

d_m_n_n
03-25-2010, 09:31 PM
We really enjoyed the Sci-Fi in December. The food was good...especially the Caramel Cheesecake!!! We had a hitchhiker (a CM on the College Program) in our car and while we were a little uncomfortable at first, we really enjoyed visiting with her! While DSs watched the movie, we visited in the back seats.

Oh and a word of advice...don't order the ribs! They were tasty, but I never realized how difficult it is to eat them in the dark! :blush:

gollybass
03-26-2010, 01:21 AM
haha thank you all for the advice! I think we will probably be visiting it in September

GrmGrninGost
03-26-2010, 05:32 PM
:ack: This is the one place in all of WDW I will not go to again. The atmosphere is very good, the food (IMHO) is AWFUL!

goofygirl67
03-26-2010, 07:20 PM
I enjoyed the burgers and shakes I have gotten here. I love the drive-in theme. I was surprised to find out I had actually seen some of those movies before.

Kathy Jetson
03-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Does anyone know if they have veggie burgers there? I didn't see it on the menu but thought they might offer it anyway?

ElenitaB
03-26-2010, 10:30 PM
No veggie burgers on the menu. For non-meat eaters, they offer a seared marinated tofu with mango glaze served with fresh veggies and white rice.

Sometimes you can ask and if available at another location on property, they may be able to "fetch" you that item. In the case of DHS, the only food service location that offers veggie burgers is Rosie's All American Cafe. Whether they'll "borrow" one from another restaurant, is not something I'd count on.

Kathy Jetson
03-26-2010, 11:17 PM
No veggie burgers on the menu. For non-meat eaters, they offer a seared marinated tofu with mango glaze served with fresh veggies and white rice.

Sometimes you can ask and if available at another location on property, they may be able to "fetch" you that item. In the case of DHS, the only food service location that offers veggie burgers is Rosie's All American Cafe. Whether they'll "borrow" one from another restaurant, is not something I'd count on.

Thankyou! We has the tofu meal last time. I was just wishing for a burger. I would never ask them to fetch me something from somewhere else I would feel like to much of a pain. I'm sure we'll find something at sci-fi I really want to go back.:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
03-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Theming is awesome and the food is okay. I'd suggest going there for lunch :mickey: