PDA

View Full Version : What one book would you recommend?

TheVBs
03-23-2010, 10:12 AM
If you could only recommend one book to someone, what would it be, what's it about and why would you recommend it? Here's my current favorite:

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

Summary: An astonishing, hotly anticipated new novel from the great literary fantasist and creator of Thursday Next, Jasper Fforde. As long as anyone can remember, society has been ruled by a Colortocracy. From the underground feedpipes that keep the municipal park green to the healing hues viewed to cure illness to a social hierarchy based upon one's limited color perception, society is dominated by color. In this world, you are what you can see. Young Eddie Russett has no ambition to be anything other than a loyal drone of the Collective. With his better-than-average red perception, he could well marry Constance Oxblood and inherit the string works; he may even have enough red perception to make prefect. For Eddie, life looks colorful. Life looks good. But everything changes when he moves with his father, a respected swatchman, to East Carmine. There, he falls in love with a Grey named Jane who opens his eyes to the painful truth behind his seemingly perfect, rigidly controlled society. Curiosity--a dangerous trait to display in a society that demands total conformity--gets the better of Eddie, who beings to wonder: Why are there not enough spoons to go around? Why is everything--and everyone--barcoded? What happened to all the people who never returned from High Saffron? And why, when you begin to question the world around you, do black-and-white certainties reduce themselves to shades of grey? Part satire, part romance, part revolutionary thriller, this is the new world from the creative and comic genius of Jasper Fforde.

I would recommend this because it is one of the most unique stories I've ever read. When it was first described to me I thought I'd have trouble getting into it, but I didn't have that problem at all! This really makes you look at human nature, it's so different and quirky, and it's funny!

Mousefever
03-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Smilla's Sense of Snow - Peter Hoeg

To be honest, I don't remember why I liked this book so much, but it was very gripping.

A neighbor child gets killed. Smilla investigates. Takes place in The Netherlands and Iceland.

Also, The Alienist - Caleb Carr

Takes place in turn-of-the-century England. Trying to catch a killer using the "new" technique of profiling.

Amy

clausjo
03-23-2010, 01:36 PM
I recently read The Third Angel by Alice Hoffman. It was a really touching story. So much so that I've started reading more of her many novels.

I may not be the best judge of books though, I read, and usually enjoy, just about eveything.

brownie
03-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Can't do it. It would be harder than trying to pick the one Disney World park to visit if you could only visit one.

Mr. Brass Bonanza
03-23-2010, 04:34 PM
STORMING INTREPID by Payne Harrison.

This guy only wrote a handful of books, but this is by far my favorite book ever written. It's got loads of suspense and drama centering around a hijacked space shuttle just before the Soviet Union collapsed. It's not corny, either...the entire plot ois very believable, entertaining, and chilling. I'm an expert on the shuttle program, and the amount of research this guy did for this book is amazing. I was truly impressed and ver appreciative on how much work he put into making this as authentic as possible. It's a tremendous read.

Anyone would enjoy this book, but if you are a fan and supporter of the space shuttle program, and enjoyed such things as the Amerika mini-series on ABC back in 1987, you'll realy enjoy this book.

SBETigg
03-23-2010, 05:11 PM
It really depends on who the reader is. There isn't one book I would recommend to everyone because every reader is so different. But if I had to pick one...

Like Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

is the one that resonates and probably has something for everyone. Not my favorite book (that's Pride and Prejudice, closely followed by Jane Eyre).

pink
03-23-2010, 07:41 PM
It depends on the person.

If someone was having a hard time dealing with death I would tell them to read The Lovely Bones. I used to be scared to die but even though this book is fiction it made me realize that is just a natural thing. I don't know why but it made me feel a peace with life, not to mention it was a very well written story too.

:mickey:

Joannelet
03-23-2010, 09:39 PM
How to Be Like Walt: Capturing the Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life
by Pat Williams

Greatest book on the man I ever read :)

garymacd
03-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Glen Cook's Garrett novels.

Think Dashiel Hammett meets Mary Shelley and Douglas Adams.

There are currently twelve novels with a thirteenth planned to be out soon. Unlike many novel series, he lets his hero and main characters grow and mature with each book. You do not need to read them in order because when he does refer back to past history, he explains it quickly, but definitely try to read them in order and read Sweet Silver Blues first.

Our hero, Garrett (no first name is ever given) is a former Royal Marine, war hardened, and now that he is back from his five-year tour as a warrior in a war that lasted more than 100 years and killed his grandfather, father, all but one of his uncles and his only brother, he has found himself a niche as a private investigator and confidential agent in a lawless town.

Nothing unusual about that, but I didn't mention that his hometown is home to some really strange people and sort-of people - elves, half-elves, dwarves, troll, giants, wizards, vampires, mammoths, ogres and all kinds of mixed up, mingled cross-breeds of all the different peoples that live there.

He has a group of close friends and associates that assist him on his cases. His most valuable friend is his partner and houseguest known as the Deadman. They only call him that because he was killed about 400 years ago, but his genius spirit will not leave his body. If you know the Nero Wolfe stories, that's the sort of thing.

Garrett is a rough, tough, smart alec, cynical character that you can't help but love, because he keeps pulling out the rusty, squeaky armour to rescue the damsel or whomever else is in distress, right the wrongs done friends and try to make sense out of a senseless world.

Here are the books so far:

Sweet Silver Blues
Bitter Gold Hearts
Cold Copper Tears
Old Tin Sorrows
Dread Brass Shadows
Deadly Quicksilver Lies
Petty Pewter Gods
Faded Steel Heat
Angry Lead Skies
Whispering Nickel Idols
Cruel Zinc Melodies

I know what you're thinking, but it isn't as dumb as it seems. He even manages social commentary on many contemporary topics.