PDA

View Full Version : Fastpass ?

MickeyFanKY
03-22-2010, 07:46 PM
I have used fastpass many times in the past, but only had one at a time. Are you able to get multiple fastpasses for different rides as long as the return times are not the same?

Hope this makes sense.

SBETigg
03-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Yes. There's a time frame involved in which you can't get another Fastpass for a little while, always listed right on the Fastpass. But then you could potentially be holding two or more FPs at one time. Some people like to save up FPs and use them at the middle-end of the day instead of using them in the time frame listed on the pass. They don't let you use your FP earlier than listed, but they usually do let you use them past the listed expiration. I'm a stickler for using them in the allotted times, but to each his own.

Kenny1113
03-22-2010, 07:57 PM
You are given a"blackout" time, during which you cannot get another fastpass. Depending upon your return time you may or may not hold multiples. For example we got fp for test track around 1130-1200 , for a return time of 2:00, we were not permited to get another fast pass until 12:35p. At that time I got a fp for soarin, with a return time of 6p. So we were holding fp for multiple rides at one time. :mickey:

BigThunderFan
03-23-2010, 10:39 AM
The next time you can get a fastpass is either 2 hours after you got the current one, or after the return time starts for your current one, whichever comes first.

So for example: You are at rope drop at 9am and get FP for Toy Story, return time of 9:40am, at 9:40 you can get another FP.

Or, at 11am you get FP for Toy Story with return times of 5pm, at 1pm you can get your next FP since that is 2 hours after you obtained the other set.

We like to accumulate them in the morning, then return after a break and not wait in lines all afternoon.:thumbsup:

ljgirl
03-23-2010, 11:01 AM
The next time you can get a fastpass is either 2 hours after you got the current one, or after the return time starts for your current one, whichever comes first.

So for example: You are at rope drop at 9am and get FP for Toy Story, return time of 9:40am, at 9:40 you can get another FP.

Or, at 11am you get FP for Toy Story with return times of 5pm, at 1pm you can get your next FP since that is 2 hours after you obtained the other set.

We like to accumulate them in the morning, then return after a break and not wait in lines all afternoon.:thumbsup:

Just retruned yesterday after a week in the World! We used the same strategy amd it works out great! If you get Fast Passes in the morning, many times you do not have to wait the full 2 hours to get another one. You just have to wait until the beginning time of the one you are holding. For example, we got to EPCOT at 9 am and got a Fast Pass for Test Track that started at 9:40. After 9:40 we were able to get another Fast Pass for something else. We also hold on to them and use them late afternoon-evening. Even though it was Spring Break, we didn't wait more than 20 minutes for any ride!!!

Babe the Blue Ox
03-23-2010, 10:48 PM
I like to play what's called "FastPass Poker". We collect FastPasses all through the morning hours when the return times are fairly short and you can get new passes sooner. By mid afternoon, a family of 5 can amass 25-35 passes if you know the system. They look like a deck of poker cards when you fan them out in your hand.

Then you can use all the passes back to back in the late afternoon and early evening hours when the park is really busy.

brad192
03-23-2010, 11:40 PM
I like to play what's called "FastPass Poker". We collect FastPasses all through the morning hours when the return times are fairly short and you can get new passes sooner. By mid afternoon, a family of 5 can amass 25-35 passes if you know the system. They look like a deck of poker cards when you fan them out in your hand.

Then you can use all the passes back to back in the late afternoon and early evening hours when the park is really busy.

Am I the only one who thinks this is abuse of the FastPass system? :mad: It seems the original intent has been dropped by WDW CM's and/or management. The whole idea was to "hold your place in line", while you went about doing other things, then returned DURING YOUR TIME WINDOW to ride the ride. This would allow for a very short wait time for the FastPass holder, with minimal impact on the people waiting in standby.:thumbsup:

With the current "loosening" of the rules, the FastPass lines are a LOT longer, and far from fast - and the standby line is almost stalled at the most popular attractions due to the increased number of FastPass holders in line who get preferential seating (Think 2+ hours for Soarin'). :shake:

The original idea worked great - I was there a couple of times right after it was implemented & the time windows were enforced, but now? Why bother. I guess enough undisciplined people who couldn't plan a few hours ahead complained enough to get the powers that be at WDW to change things for the worse.:shrug:

Oh, and BTW, I NEVER NEVER use a FastPass that is beyond it's "expiration date". It's done & spoiled.:sad:

Babe the Blue Ox
03-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this is abuse of the FastPass system?

I learned about using FastPasses outside of their one hour "window" nine years ago from the 2001 version of the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.

There's no way that this should be considered abuse of the system as it is common and acceptable practice for many guests at the parks.

It's how I plan my day. Collect FastPasses in the morning while riding the less popular attractions. Then use the passes later in the day when its really crowded. It works very, very well.

Scar
03-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Am I the only one who thinks this is abuse of the FastPass system?Although you may not like it (and that's fine,) if Disney allows it, then it is not abuse. Personnaly, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I think most people probably go within the time frame and if they don't, then that moves the standby line quicker during that time.

ljgirl
03-24-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't think it is abuse at all! As a previous poster said, if Disney allows it then it is OK. We specifically asked a CM last week if it was ok and they said "Yes. You can return anytime after your start time but not before it." The CM's were checking start times carefully. If you were even a few minutes early, they would have you wait.

Holding on to Fast Passes does not seem to "clog up" the FP system either. The lines still move along quickly. If it did slow things down, then Disney would have to make a decision on how to handle it.

ThanxForNoticin
03-24-2010, 12:24 PM

I agree with you. The intent of the Fastpass is that people use it during a specific time window, else they wouldn't include the end time on the pass. However, if Disney has instructed their cast members to ignore that, then it's hard to give people a rough time for using the passes as they see fit. Apparently, Disney has found it easier to allow people through than it would be to confront or turn away guests who return later than the time on the ticket. And if they're going to allow guests through that are 10 minutes late, is that different than 2 or 4 hours late? Ultimately, there are a fixed number of FPs available each day. So for the most part, all things even out with the people in the lines.

Scar
03-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Apparently, Disney has found it easier to allow people through than it would be to confront or turn away guests who return later than the time on the ticket.Good point. I hadn't thought about that. Can you imagine how many irate guests there would be complaining because they were stuck on another ride, or the line was to long, or they got seated 40 mins after their ADR's. Way easier this way.

MMFreak
03-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Not to mention that if a ride has to be shutdown for a large chunk of time (it does happen *test track*) it isn't the fault of the fastpass holder and if Disney policy was to turn away ppl after the time slot those holders would lose and if you make an exception and the ride breaks down several times during the day should the CM's be responsible for knowing all of the times with exceptions? I think this would be way too much confusion and too many people would complain and would be a bigger hassle then just to let the ppl who go past their time slot ride. Like a previous post stated there are only so many fastpasses that get issued so not that big of a deal at the end of the day. You are on vacation relax and people watch while you wait in line its fun!

ChipNDale79
03-24-2010, 02:46 PM

I dont see a problem with it. Please remember also that if i dont go in my window of time, that makes the fast pass line shorter for my time window. I personally think it balances itself out.

Going after your time window can sometimes be the most efficient system to ensure you ride everything you want to.

Please note that I'm the type that typically goes out of my way to do the "right thing", but in my opinion there really is nothing wrong with this.

brad192
03-24-2010, 11:31 PM
OK, y'all have made good points. After due consideration, let me clarify.

My main gripe is that, there were a set of rules to be followed when the FastPass system was first started, and for the most part it worked well. From what i've heard (or NOT heard) from Disney those rules still apply. If the current way of doing things is actually policy, then Disney needs to officially announce this, remove the end time on the FastPass window, and change the information explaining how FastPass works as it still mentions returning "during your return time", or something similar. A simple "return anytime after your FastPass return time" would suffice.

I still think the enforcement of return window times works best (with a little flexibility, say 15 mins.), but the current unofficial way is still OK with me. I just want Disney to make it official, so I won't feel like I'm breaking the rules if I use a FastPass that has "expired".

Maybe I came across a little harsh before - sorry!:blush:

fielin
03-25-2010, 05:00 AM
I just want Disney to make it official, so I won't feel like I'm breaking the rules if I use a FastPass that has "expired".

I don't think Disney should make any change, or any official statement. If they did, then EVERYBODY would come back at ANYTIME during the day.

I think they observed that most people came back during their window, like you and me, and that the few who didn't were not enough to seriously 'break' the system.

So they've probably factored in this information when they calculated how many fastpass were delivered for any given time...

Factoring in a little chaos in the system to keep it efficient is always a good idea.

Now, everyone, be careful : I've heard of people being turned away when they came back after their return time... Not something I'd like to experience !

mrmcgiv
03-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Seriously? You can return after your FP time? I wish I knew that last 2 trips. I find it very annoying that I threw away some FPes that expired and i remember RUSHING like a maniac to get to BTMR so we did not miss our time and here there was this 'unspoken' rule that they are still accepted after they expire.

GRRRR, I find this annoying!:mad:

Babe the Blue Ox
03-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Seriously? You can return after your FP time? I wish I knew that last 2 trips. I find it very annoying that I threw away some FPes that expired and i remember RUSHING like a maniac to get to BTMR so we did not miss our time and here there was this 'unspoken' rule that they are still accepted after they expire.

Sorry you missed out as this is probably the worst kept secret in all of Disney World. It's outlined in the most popular guidebooks and has been discussed on this forum for several years. Even the attendants at the FastPass kiosks will tell guests that they can come back anytime after the return window opens, as long as it's on the same day. I've use hundreds of FastPasses over the years, both within and outside of their return window, whichever is more convenient. I've never, ever seen or heard of anyone denied access to any attraction for this reason.

Be sure to keep this in mind when planning your next trip.

WDWdriver
03-25-2010, 10:24 PM
... I've never, ever seen or heard of anyone denied access to any attraction for this reason.

I have. A large number of guests returning later than their window can lengthen both the FP and standby lines. The CMs can refuse late admissions, as they often do on Soarin'.

You should arrive during your return window if you can, and you will be guaranteed a short wait. If you are late anything can happen. Usually you will be admitted, but don't count on it. And if you are turned away you have no recourse. Your FP clearly shows your latest return time, and there is no official policy stating that you can exceed it.

brad192
03-25-2010, 11:20 PM
It's a DYNAMIC rule! Completely enforceable if crowds are huge & lines long - due to the official rules, but allows the CM's on the front line flexibility in controlling the FastPass line. The line gets a little too long, the CM enforces the rule a little harder to reduce the length. Once the line is at a reasonable length for FastPass, the rule gets relaxed. Same deal for standby. If the standby line is excessivly long, you tighten the rule again & allow more standby people to ride, reducing that line to a reasonable length.

Sure, the whole process takes a slight hit in performance, but I bet customer satisfaction numbers are higher. Some genious at Disney figured this out & deserves a raise.

Babe the Blue Ox
03-25-2010, 11:20 PM
The CMs can refuse late admissions, as they often do on Soarin'.

One time on Soarin', the attendant actually took the time to count the number of FastPasses to make sure that I had the same number of passes as people. He didn't say a word about the fact that they were 7 hours past due.

This was one of the very few times that I've seen an attendant count the stack of tickets. They usually just look at the top one and wave you on through.

We generally go in mid-June, so I'm not sure how things work during the really busy times of the year.

hurdlertwin
03-28-2010, 06:13 PM
A little known fact: if you didn't know already Disney is doing their "Give a day get a day" promotion right now. you spend a day volunteering and get a free admission to the parks in return. However, if you do not use your coupon for a ticket, you are allowed to get a special fast pass ticket that allows the person who volunteered and 5 of their friends to receive 6 fastpasses at any time of the day with no waiting time in between fastpasses. You are given three passes for the popular rides and 3 passes for the not so popular rides depending on the park your at. It's a great way to combine it with you park admission and easily rack up a large amount of fastpasses.

A group of 12 of us did it for a week when we were there. We used 2 each day (because each give a day get a day fastpass is good for the one volunteer and 5 of their friends) and had to wait about 3 hours total all week for rides. we rode about 10 rides each day.