PDA

View Full Version : So Disney is on the cheap...again

luvdiznee
03-19-2010, 08:50 AM
On our last trip to the World, staying at CBR, I was very disappointed to have a conversation with a worker at the resort about why they had all if not just most of the CBR specific items at such a markdown sale price. Yes, I was glad to get some bargains. :mickey:As I did get a few t-shirts, photo albums, key rings, magnets, glasses and a mouse pad.

But she says the reason they are doing this is to eventually make all souvie's a Disney logo only? Has anyone else heard this. She says soon it will be the end to resort specific items, just like the mugs. :thedolls:

Even as far as the ammenities (shower gel), yes I realize they sell these h2O items now, but I didn't know they wouldn't give you any shower gel at all. Yes, I did ask and they told me it was not available. Anywho, maybe they've been doing these things a while and I just didn't notice. Or maybe was in denial. :cool:

SBETigg
03-19-2010, 09:03 AM
I don't know. I can't imagine it quite happening that way across the board. Maybe I'm in denial. But the Grand Floridian always has some GF specific gifts (and they seem to sell pretty well). Similarly, shopping at the Poly is a fairly unique experience. Also, at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I really can't imagine them doing away with all the unique items. Maybe in some cases. But having themed merchandise adds to our reason to resort hop and shop around. It seems it would be a loss to go to standard items across the board. But then, when I resort hop, I usually don't make special trips to Values and Moderates, so maybe the Deluxes will maintain some individuality in this? It's hard to say.

DizneyRox
03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see tiering hit the gift shops as well. IF this is true, I'm sure they have done their homework and have figured that they will save X amount of money by going generic vs losing Y amount amount of money by people not buying the generic stuff. If X is greater than Y, then they move forward.

I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that those staying in a deluxe have more disposable income to drop on more expensive (unique) items and it may be the start of the tiering. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the number of unique/custom items dwindled as well. The cost per widget goes down the more widgets you order. This is the rationale behind the mugs and translates over to sweatshirts, t-shirts, magnets, etc.

caryrae
03-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I always like to pick up a baseball cap with the Resort name on it every trip but when we were at POFQ last Oct. I could not find anything even went to POR to see if they had anything but nothing there either. I did get one for CSR when we stayed there part of the trip.

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-19-2010, 10:46 AM
thanks for posting this. Now, I'm going to be on a mission in October to find resort specific items. - that is if they still have them then.

I like to have SOMETHING (ususally a magnet) with each of the resorts to remember my trips. I've got the whole front of a fridge to cover!:thumbsup:

i'm grumpy
03-19-2010, 10:52 AM
:mad: Last year we bought almost nothing. It was pitiful. :mad:

trynkat
03-19-2010, 11:22 AM
I hope this wouldn't include pins.:(

Dsnygirl
03-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm truly hoping this isn't the case, but when we were at AKL last Oct., other than a couple of clothing items, NOTHING was specific to AKL, not even postcards or magnets or pins. (There was a keychain & a mug, now that I remember, as I bought them... :blush:) But I do remember asking about it, and all I was told was that they weren't making as many items, and what I was interested in was "backordered", and they weren't sure when, if ever, they'd re-appear. :(

Scar
03-19-2010, 11:41 AM
The cynic in me thinking that this is a marketing ploy. Get everybody to buy up the inventory thinking it’s their last chance. Then get everybody to buy the generic stuff because it will be new and different. Then in a couple years bring back the specific stuff again and everybody will want that. Brilliant!

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-19-2010, 11:45 AM
good thing there's always ebay.

DizneyRox
03-19-2010, 01:11 PM
:mad: Last year we bought almost nothing. It was pitiful. :mad:
Only last year? I haven't spent anything significant since about 2004...

The cynic in me thinking that this is a marketing ploy. Get everybody to buy up the inventory thinking it’s their last chance. Then get everybody to buy the generic stuff because it will be new and different. Then in a couple years bring back the specific stuff again and everybody will want that. Brilliant!
I don't think they are that smart. They don't think that far ahead, it's all about short term profits.

Lynn J Mc
03-19-2010, 04:01 PM
There was plenty of resort-specific stuff at the Poly in February.

bxrluv
03-20-2010, 04:27 PM
How can this be smart for profits if it sounds like nobody wants to buy anything? Most of the generic stuff doesn't interest me. I'd me much more likely to buy POFQ merchandise.

Ian
03-20-2010, 04:50 PM
See ... this is what happens when accountants run creative companies. They just don't understand their own audience.

I can tell you exactly why this may be happening (not saying it is, but I have heard this rumor for awhile now so it's probably got legs).

Everyone knows that merch sales in WDW have been way off target for a couple years now. This means profits are down. They've tried various ways to get people to spend more money on merchandise, including Fastpass, the Disney Dining Plan, etc. but it hasn't had the results they wanted.

My guess is they've decided that if they can't boost sales volume then they need to boost margin which means (as Rox pointed out) they need to buy things in bigger bulk at a lower per-unit price. How do you do that? By making everything the same.

Now, of course, we all know that the fact that everything is the same is one of the main reasons no one is buying the garbage they're selling anymore. But since the accountants never come down from the Ivory Towers to talk to the "reg'lar folk" they don't know that.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if they'd been told that (or even if they're own internal surveys showed that) and they've somehow talked themselves into believing it isn't true. For some reason I have a feeling accountants wouldn't like admitting to themselves that people aren't interested in buying generic, cheap, made-in-China garbage with a set of mouse ears printed on it.

lindique
03-20-2010, 05:51 PM
It's very sad - I used to come home from a trip with at least a couple of tee shirts, a magnet or two, and a few other assorted items. On my last 2 trips, I doubt if I spent $20 on souvenirs. The quality has gotten so bad that I'm no longer interested in most of the things for sale.

I got the Birthday Fun Card last year, and I haven't used it up yet. I'm having trouble finding things I want even when they are free!! Pretty sad, if you ask me!:(

waymickey
03-20-2010, 06:31 PM
that Stinks!!! I love the resort stuff. I have a baseball collection with different resorts on each.:mad:

i'm grumpy
03-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Only last year? I haven't spent anything significant since about 2004...

I don't think they are that smart. They don't think that far ahead, it's all about short term profits.

Hadn't been since '05. :cry: In fact some of the merchandise was the same. :shake:

i'm grumpy
03-20-2010, 09:35 PM
It's very sad - I used to come home from a trip with at least a couple of tee shirts, a magnet or two, and a few other assorted items. On my last 2 trips, I doubt if I spent $20 on souvenirs. The quality has gotten so bad that I'm no longer interested in most of the things for sale.

I got the Birthday Fun Card last year, and I haven't used it up yet. I'm having trouble finding things I want even when they are free!! Pretty sad, if you ask me!:(
It's pretty sad stuff. Couldn't find one decent T. I sure wasn't paying $30 for one that looked worn and cracked.

luvdiznee
03-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Maybe it won't be the same across the board, such as at the deluxe resorts. Because when we went to our ressies at the Deluxe's (Poly, AKL and GF) we made it a point to stop at the shops and I didn't notice their stuff on sale like at CBR.

But like previously posted it's hard to say. Though I do keep in mind the mugs...:mickey:

SBETigg
03-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if they'd been told that (or even if they're own internal surveys showed that) and they've somehow talked themselves into believing it isn't true. For some reason I have a feeling accountants wouldn't like admitting to themselves that people aren't interested in buying generic, cheap, made-in-China garbage with a set of mouse ears printed on it.

Well, it is a lot cheaper to mass produce a lot of the same stuff vs offering lots of different stuff, so this practice could have actually increased profits, or at least set off loss. Which means that they wouldn't really mind if they're selling less of it if they're still seeing a better profit or less profit loss in the end. Sad for us, good for their bottom line. Possibly.

pixiesmimi
03-21-2010, 02:57 PM
I haven't bought any good souvineers in a while other that resort specific pins. And I got those on eBay. :blush: I agree about the quality of stuff available for high prices. I even have trouble finding the coin books for the pressed coins now. Most of the things in the shops are available online or at Walmart and other places. When I go to WDW, I want something unique. I have a hard time just finding a cute T shirt or anything.

Joeybun
03-21-2010, 09:10 PM
I noticed this too last September. Same generic stuff everywhere. I did note however, that the prices are not always consistant. They varied from place to place, gift shop to gift shop. At Blizzard Beach, the Mickey ice cream bars were priced differently! Crazy!

Ian
03-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Well, it is a lot cheaper to mass produce a lot of the same stuff vs offering lots of different stuff, so this practice could have actually increased profits, or at least set off loss. Which means that they wouldn't really mind if they're selling less of it if they're still seeing a better profit or less profit loss in the end. Sad for us, good for their bottom line. Possibly.True, but it's the law of diminishing returns. If the reason people aren't buying stuff is because you've made it too generic and cheap feeling you can lower the price-per-unit to boost profits but if you do so by making the stuff even more generic and cheap feeling you're probably going to lose more sales to the point that it's a wash (at best).

But your point is still valid. I mean I'm mostly speculating anyway. It's not like I have an inside view into their financials. It's mostly just based off rumors I've heard and what passes in my mind for common sense which, I think most people would tell you, isn't necessarily very sensible. ;)

twinboyz
03-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Sad:( I always like to shop at different resorts and DD, but when we were there last August, it was similar across the board. Made shopping no fun. Making $$ is important I'm sure, but I can see this costing them a bundle in profits in the long run! Just my :twocents:

DisneyDoug2
03-22-2010, 12:21 PM
We stayed at the Contemporary Resort in January and could not find a single piece of clothing that had the logo on it. Just the generic Disney stuff you can get anywhere! I had the same problem the year before at the Wilderness Lodge when it can to buying shirts, they had some but very limited in size and styles.

jnfr2424
03-24-2010, 09:20 AM
I hope this wouldn't include pins.:(

I hope not either! On my trip in November, I had family staying at ASMo and I got a pin there also from WL, GF, Poly and CR. I am looking forward to completing my new hobby when I return in 3 weeks!

We stayed at the Contemporary Resort in January and could not find a single piece of clothing that had the logo on it. Just the generic Disney stuff you can get anywhere! I had the same problem the year before at the Wilderness Lodge when it can to buying shirts, they had some but very limited in size and styles.

I had to hunt for the Monorail shirt the one that says "Por favor, mantenganse alejado de las puertas" in the Contemp it was so bad that I actually got the last one then we went over to WL and we picked up 4 WL logo shirts.
Lately it's more like hunting instead of shopping!

buzz2001
03-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Yes, I heard the same thing prior to my trip to CSR in December. They hardly had any resort specific items. I got a few t-shirts with the CSR logo they had left.

jonahbear2006
03-26-2010, 05:44 PM
we rarely see anything cool enough to buy. The best thing we ever got at disney was the mr. potato head disney pieces. Our kids get lots of play value out of those. We bought the castle and the epcot ball with the 2 kids' birthday gift cards last year and it didn't take long for them to fall apart, so our trip in december we didn't but anything.

princessgirls
03-26-2010, 09:27 PM
When we were in Disney in December, they were giving out coupons when you purchased a meal at a counter service location you got a coupon on your receipt to enjoy a full 20% discount between 9am-12pm at each parks Main Gift Shop. The deal sounded good to me, so we did one big shopping and everyone got what they wanted and we saved $25, so it was like getting an item free.
We did buy a few little items here and there, but I have girls and they always want to shop... The Accountants dream clients!
Julie:mickey:

luvdiznee
03-27-2010, 07:44 AM
We bought the castle and the epcot ball with the 2 kids' birthday gift cards last year and it didn't take long for them to fall apart, so our trip in december we didn't but anything.

Wow, that's a shame that that happened. :confused:

dtootsie42
03-27-2010, 01:40 PM
When we were in Disney in December, they were giving out coupons when you purchased a meal at a counter service location you got a coupon on your receipt to enjoy a full 20% discount between 9am-12pm at each parks Main Gift Shop. The deal sounded good to me, so we did one big shopping and everyone got what they wanted and we saved $25, so it was like getting an item free.
We did buy a few little items here and there, but I have girls and they always want to shop... The Accountants dream clients!
Julie:mickey:

We were also there in December and took advantage of the 20% discount, it was great. All three of our daughters are in college so they loved being able to do some christmas shopping and came home with some great surprises by using the discount.

I do agree that buying resort specific is almost a lost cause. I used to always buy a tshirt from which ever resort we stayed at but I have not done that since 2005. Sad!

Spaceship Tigger
03-30-2010, 07:25 AM
This is really sad for me to be hearing this. I've always loved buying the resort specific items. There were plenty of items when we were at CBR last May but maybe this has changed now.

I had noticed last year that the photo albums no longer even had the year printed on them. So now when we go back this year, all we'll be able to buy to fit all of our pictures is the same album we bought last year. Of course, the refillable mugs are also basically the same ones we bought last year...