PDA

View Full Version : Dining Reviews 3/14 to 3/17

BriarRose0708
03-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Hey! I just got back from a trip with my sister. We were there Saturday 3/13 to yesterday 3/17. On Saturday we had plans to go to Downtown Disney for dinner but our flights were delayed and we didn't even get to our hotel until midnight. My sister is a vegetarian and we were concerned that she would have too limited of a selection for food, especially at counter service places but she loved all the choices and enjoyed all the vegetarian options at each place.

Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe: Delicious as usual! The parks were crowded this week so we ate mostly at off times to avoid lines. We got there at 11 a.m. when it opened and were the only ones there. My sister got the veggie burger which she liked that it was made of a rice patty instead of beans or lentils. She went nuts on the toppings bar and was very full when we left. I had the old reliable chicken nuggets and fries which were delicious as well. We sat inside and enjoyed the space and musical stylings of Sunny Eclipse.

Tea at the Grand Floridian- what a lovely experience! My sister requested we do this since she was at the reigns for making plans this trip. The MK was crowded and we had been up early so by our 2:30 reservation we were ready for a break! We had also never been to the Grand Floridian before and it was nice to walk around. We both had the Sally Lund tea which was awesome! Depending on what kind of tea you get it could be expensive but the one we got was priced exactly right for what we wanted. The selection of tea is vast and our server was extremely knowledgeable and helped us make the selection that would complement our tastes. I got the jasmine floral green tea and my sister had the gardenview blend. I would definitely recommend that if this is something you think you could enjoy, do it!

Egg Rolls in Adventure Land: We were still full from tea and it was after closing time for most of the counter service places and my sister didn't want another veggie burger, which was the only thing she could order at Pecos Bill's. So we stopped by the cart by Jungle Cruise and had a couple veggie egg rolls. They hit the spot and were fresh and crispy considering they were from a cart.

Akershus Princess Storybook Breakfast: We wanted to have an experience similar to Cinderella's Royal Table without the royal price tag, so we took a chance with Akershus. It combined two of our very favorite things; princesses and breakfast foods! We were called shortly after I checked us in and met Belle right away. We were then shown right to our table, gave our drink orders and went to the cold buffet. The buffet had lots of fresh fruit, yogurt and granola, pastries, cheeses and fish. Our server brought out two hot plates, one with bacon and sausage for me and one without meat for my sister. We ate waaaay too much! The princesses came around while we finished stuffing ourselves and we had some great interactions with them. This was a great breakfast for an awesome price and we got the prints of our picture with Belle included. Loved it and will certainly do it again!

Backlot Express and ABC Commissary: We had a dinner reservation at Hollywood and Vine but decided to cancel it. My sister got the grilled vegetable sandwich from Backlot and I got the Asian Salad from ABC Commissary. We both enjoyed our meals and weren't uncomfortable from eating too much after our filling breakfast earlier in the morning.

Coral Reef: Another iconic restaurant from our childhood watching ABC shows take their cast to WDW, especially Boy Meets World and Full House. We had a table right next to the tank. I got the appetizer for two, which came with the land and sea (BBQ shrimp and tenderloin skewers over polenta and cucumber salad) lobster bisque, and mini crab cakes. It was just enough food on top of the bread they give you. My sister got the lobster ravioli and loved it! We were too full for dessert but had a very enjoyable meal!

Tangerine Cafe: I was hungry for dinner right before IllumiNations and we had snagged a bench in Japan so I went to Morocco for something to eat. I got the lamp wrap platter that came with a huge piece of Naan stuffed with shaved spiced lamb, lettuce, tomato and yogurt sauce, plus two sides of couscous salad and lentil salad. I also got a Habibi frozen cocktail for my sister and me. The whole meal was delicious and filling and I think it was my favorite thing I ate all trip! I had never been to the Morocco restaurants before and I will definitely go back!

El Pirata Y El Perico: Our last meal yesterday was tacos in the Magic Kingdom. Again we got there a little after 11 a.m. when they opened so no long lines! My sister had the veggie tacos which were just refried beans but was able to add the toppings at the toppings bar. I loved my beef tacos, and it came with a side of white rice. Sure beat Taco Bell!

All in all the dining experiences this trip were superb. We aren't fancy pants type people, and the most adventurous we got was at Coral Reef (we usually like our ravioli with red sauce and a meatball). My sister was able to find good vegetarian options at each place and if she needed an accommodation the staff was great at creating something new for her. I have a strawberry allergy and at Tea both desserts had fresh berries in it, so I was able to pick two pastries instead. The service we had at all places was wonderful, and despite the crowds never felt rushed to finish a meal.

SBETigg
03-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Sounds like some good dining experiences. I would love that Tangierine lunch right about now. Yum. :)

jillluvsdisney
03-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the reviews. I'm a big fan of tea at the GF too.:cloud9:

January-2007
03-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the reviews.

Lakin
03-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the reviews! Family is looking for a princess meal for next trip, so I enjoyed seeing the nice Akershus review.

epceddie
03-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks for sharing the wonderful reviews. Were there any men at the afternoon tea you went to at the Grand Floridian?

the other micki
03-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the reviews! Isn't it amazing that you can eat a big breakfast, do all that walking around, and still not be very hungry for dinner!? Funny how that Disney food sticks with you! :chef:

BriarRose0708
03-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks for sharing the wonderful reviews. Were there any men at the afternoon tea you went to at the Grand Floridian?

I didn't see any men at tea, but I know a few of our male INTERCOTers who have been to Tea in the past! We were also slightly under dressed in our "play clothes" while the other ladies were in nice spring dresses and hats. We didn't care though!

KylesMom
03-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Nikki - thanks for sharing the great reviews. Sounds like you and your DSister had a fab time! :mickey:

Belle619
03-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the reviews. My sister and I always travel together and have thought about the princess character dinning, but were unsure (being we're in our 20's and 30's with no children). But, hearing the food options at Akershus were so yummy, we may have to give this one a try!

Bubbie Girl
03-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Sounds like you both had yummy meals. Hoping ours will be just as good in July. We are trying a few new places and some of our favorites as well. Glad you had a magicial time:mickey:

BriarRose0708
03-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the reviews. My sister and I always travel together and have thought about the princess character dinning, but were unsure (being we're in our 20's and 30's with no children). But, hearing the food options at Akershus were so yummy, we may have to give this one a try!

I am 26 and my sis is 23 with no kids and we still had great interactions with the "face" characters! I would definitely recommend Akershus for you!

beksy
03-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the reviews. My sister and I are in the same age range and travel together too. :mickey: