PDA

View Full Version : Where's The Help?

Scar
03-18-2010, 10:54 AM
First I need to make it clear that this is not a complaint, merely an observation.

I remember driving back to NJ from WDW a few years back after one (or maybe more) of the hurricanes hit. We must have passed a dozen convoys of power trucks (including our company PSE&G) from all over the east coast. I remember thinking how wonderful it was that they were helping out. Well, now here in the northeast we still have tens of thousands of customers without power (including my parents) going on six days, with no knowledge of when it may be back. I haven’t seen one truck other than PSE&G doing any repairs. Now maybe there is help on the way or maybe in other communities, but I haven’t seen it.

Maybe the other companies just don't realize how bad it is here.

Again, I’m not complaining or even asking for help. Just wanted to make that observation.

MegaDisney
03-18-2010, 10:58 AM
I cannot imagine not having electricity for 6 days.

That is why I live somewhere I don't have to worry about severe weather.

Hope they get things back on track for you guys soon!

TheDuckRocks
03-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Scar, help is on the way! We live in the mid-Atlantic region just off I-81 and yesterday and Tuesday as I was out and about I saw quite a few convoys of electrical trucks, tree triming stuff, etc. heading north. It is always so cool to see the help being sent to areas in need. Hope you are all well and you get the help you need soon.

Scar
03-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the good news Kay!

My parents OK. They have a generator so they have water, heat, hot water, and a few other things. But man that thing is loud and annoying.

There are however still some houses under water.

Dznygrl79
03-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Hey Scar Fema is on the way in sometime today with expectation that they will declare a disaster area and provide funding assistance to NJ and parts of the tri state area. Good luck holding on! I am in DE we only lost power a few hours but I know you guys got hammered.

PirateLover
03-18-2010, 05:14 PM
I know there is still a lot of flooding in South Jersey; the Admiral Wilson Blvd turns into a river during every bad storm. I heard parts were still flooded this morning... However no one I know has lost power. I did get an email yesterday from PSE&G apologizing for all the troubles... I hope your parents get their power back soon

Scar
03-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Well, my parents got their power back on a few hours ago, about 18 hours short of a week. Growing up in the depression, they took it in stride and really thought it was no big deal. I was there when PSE&G was finishing up and I asked about the "out of state" help. They said they were all up in North Jersey where it is worse – totally understandable.

I thanked the guys and offered them a warm beer. Yes, I know that is a backhanded gesture, but they laughed and politely declined. All’s well that ends well.

DisneyDog
03-22-2010, 11:03 AM
I didn't realize people were still without power. Glad you are okay and all is back to normal now. Are your lines underground or above? I know people lost power on Saturday night when the storm hit, but our lines are underground and we are usually pretty stable.