PDA

View Full Version : May Have To Cancel Trip !!



goofyfan4466
03-15-2010, 07:13 AM
In southeast pa. we have been getting hammered with noreaster's it seems like every two weeks. anyway during a winter sno storm, while recieving what seemed like hurricane winds , our roof started leaking into our dining room.found shingles blown up & frozen in the up position with ice underneath:sick:.this weekend we had such heavy winds that it tore at least twenty shingles off & now we have a leak in the living room :-o:sick:.i have a roofer coming out today.i know this will cost an arm , leg & most likely an ear or two.my wife is not working . we did not take a disney vacation last year , due to no labor contract.after almost 1 year without a contract we finally got one good until mid 2011. we are now starting to seriously stress about our monies.i think we will have to cancel & nobody is happy about that.my twin teen girls want to know if we really need a new roof. i don't think my roof can survive any more major wind storms.anyway , i am just venting. thanks for listening.

mouseketeer mom
03-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Welcome to the new roof club.
We started seeing shingles all over our yard this winter, and then the leak, or should I say stream, into the basement began.
$6,000 later, we have a brand new roof. However, I'm in the Northeast, and our roof was certainly tested this weekend. Drip, drip, we have a very small leak in the basement, and the roofer is coming back out today!!! GRRRR!
How about going on the trip, but making some changes?? Stay on the cheap (Pop, All Stars)..eat counter service, stay 5 days instead of a week?? I'd try to make it happen if you could. Your two teen girls ( I have them too) won't be able to take these family trips in years to come perhaps, I'd rethink things, make changes where I could, and make it happen.

SBETigg
03-15-2010, 08:19 AM
A new roof is certainly an important expense and not one that can be put off. Very disappointing for your family. That's hard to bear. Sorry to hear it. I'll be wishing some good luck your way.

Tygger7
03-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Have you contacted your Homeowner's insurance to see if your roof is covered? If it was weather related, you should be able to file a claim...not sure what your deductible is, but it might help offset at least some the cost. You might want to have an adjuster come out and take a look...the worst they can say is no.

Zippy 1
03-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Living in a state that is known for high winds I can attest for the fact that the damage may be covered by your homeowners insurance. My DH is a roofing contractor and deals with this all the time. After you contact your insurer also make sure you have more than one roofing contractor look at it. Be very careful with who you use and always read the entire contract. You would not believe the number of people who go with the lowest bid only to be charged for extras at the end of the job. Ask lots of questions and make sure everything is included in the bid. Just a little advice I hate to see people taken advantage of.

Ms. Mode
03-15-2010, 10:29 AM
WOW, some great advise here! I hope you can work it out, especially with the HOI so that you can take your trip and have a new roof too. :thumbsup:

Gregandmel
03-15-2010, 10:38 AM
I feel your pain. After starting the planning on our upcoming trip about 15 months ago, we have watched almost $13,000 go out the door these past 14 months (most of our liquid savings, by the way) due to everything under the sun needing to be replaced (upstairs windows, new a/c, car repairs, plumbing issues and just last week - a leaky roof). We are leaving in 6 weeks and although we now are going to be about $2000 short for our trip, we are so close to leaving we are going to go ahead and go. We have decided that we will not be taking any large vacations after this one for at least 2 years - instead going on weekend trips with our pop up camper until we can rebuild our savings account and feel more comfortable. We will be able to pay off the trip by July and we both have steady jobs (fingers crossed and knock on wood!!) so we are somewhat comfortable with the decision.

I noticed on your post that you have this trip and an Alaskan Cruise scheduled for 2011. Can you determine which of the 2 trips you want more and maybe decide which one wins out? I know it's a difficult thing to be faced with!! I will be sending ++++++ thoughts your way that you can get it figured out soon. I agree with the other posters though to find out if your homeowner's insurance will pay for the repairs though. If so - then maybe you won't need to worry about making the decision. I feel for you guys in the NOrtheastern area! You are right that it seems as if every couple of weeks you are getting hammered. You're due for a break! Let us know what you decide. No one else will feel your pain more than your fellow Intercot friends!

andreallybadeggs
03-15-2010, 02:45 PM
So sorry-- ice storm in the South was our major $ problems last year. Hope that it is in your budget to make the trip but, if not, perhaps you can let your girls help you plan a road trip closer to home.
Give them a budget and see what they come up with-- they might surprise you with their creativity and it would be a great life lesson.
I will also tell you that we've made several off-property trips to WDW. Of course our preference is to stay on site but on our "off years" we've saved a lot of $ by finding alternate accommodations and still had a fantastic time.
Best of luck.

faline
03-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Sorry to hear of your roofing troubles! Hope everything works out okay for you!

murphy1
03-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Call your insurance co. now! Also, go on recommendations for roofers if you can. We had our roof replaced last year, you will just be out the deductible. Most insurance cos are used to this type of work, too, so it's a fairly seamless process.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Just curious; did you call your insurance company yet? I hope it's covered and you can still go on your trip. Let us know what happens.