PDA

View Full Version : Which rides seem to get stuck the most???

Bubbie Girl
03-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Everytime I ride the rides I think about what I'd do if it stopped and was stuck for some reason. I am very claustrophobic.:( Have any of you ever been on a ride that got stuck for some reason?? I wonder which ones (rides) have that happen the most? I guess I would have to wait for it to start up again but I wouldn't have to like it lol. Thanks just wondering:confused:

Touchdown
03-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Probably the omnimover rides (HM, SSE, etc.) but stuck is the wrong word, they are stopped from time to time so that handicapped individuals can get on/off the ride.

JPL
03-14-2010, 10:48 PM
SSE stops the most people have even created a game around which scene they will get stuck in front of. I really wouldn't call it getting stuck since the ride is stopped to allow guest with disabilities to board safely. The HM is definitely a close second.

Pirate Granny
03-14-2010, 10:57 PM
I've seen Space Mountain stuck for a while...in fact they turned on the lights and people were sitting in the cars...I've heard that a couple of times they had to exit the cars and walk down...not sure if I believe...they would have to send a fireman up to get me, 'cause I'm afraid of heights and would be unable to stand up and get out to the walkway in the air...hummmm.....but I wouldn't let that stop me from riding. I have seen people who had to exit TA in futureland...they had to walk along the stopped cars and down the stairs...but it's only a one storey up in the air unlike space mountain.
:pirate:

SBETigg
03-14-2010, 11:10 PM
To my personal experience, I have been stuck any number of times on:

Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
Spaceship Earth
Carousel of Progress

I've only been evacuated from Carousel of Progress and Space Mountain (before the ride start). The rest started up again after a brief delay. I'm a little claustrophobic and I've never been stuck in a really tight space that made me frightened. When rides are stuck or experiencing difficulties, it is most often a temporary situation that gets resolved quickly. I make the most of it by staying in my seat and taking in my surroundings, things I don't normally get to linger on and look at for an extended period of time. The most notorious ride for experiencing shut downs is probably Test Track.

RockinRobin
03-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Dead men tell no tails is stuck in my head for ever. Pirates of the Caribbean we got stuck at the dead men tell no tails and had to be taken out the back. As we walked around to the front we were told we could ride again as it was working. No way!! I'm not sure if i will be able to ride it again, we will see next time we go.

antngoof89
03-14-2010, 11:19 PM
I've been stuck on Splash Mountain and Pirates of carribean a lot. I'd be afraid of being stuck on Mount Everest... that would kill me!!!

Disney4us2
03-15-2010, 01:30 AM
I have had the pleasure of getting "stuck" on several attractions. POTC, Jungle cruise, BTMMR (2 times). It was actually fun:mickey:

On Pirates, we got tired of hearing yo ho yo ho. They finally turned the light on and the music off. A cm in waders came and moved the boat backwards for us to evacuate from. Also had 2 evacs from BTMMR. Makes for great pictures and stories.

grumpyguy
03-15-2010, 07:19 AM
for some reason we got stuck on the land boat-ride twice!!they thought they had what ever issue resolved but nope.we looked at the growing/hanging vegetables for a long time..
we've also been stuck on hm as you're "falling" out of the attic backwards,that was cool!!
and pp once (my favorite ride)by the mermaids,
it was great!!

Stu29573
03-15-2010, 07:26 AM
On the last visit, Pooh stopped four times. Finally, all the lights came on ( in the Huffalump room of all places!- Talk about ruining the illusion!) but we weren't evacuated. Then it started again and we made it out. I was actually a little upset since my wife likes Pooh and had never ridden the ride. Add to that the fact that we never made it back to ride again....:mad:

lettripp
03-15-2010, 07:46 AM
I've spoken to multiple people who have gotten stuck on DINOSAUR (myself included). Not fun.

DVC2004
03-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Test Track- every trip- it breaks down while we are on or while we are in line.

Haunted Mansion as mentioned is stopped alot for those who need assistance getting on or off. It's no more than a few miutes usually. It's not like test Track which actually breaks down all the time!

Superzeus84
03-15-2010, 10:35 AM
We had a horrible experiance last year with the rockn roller coaster. We got stuck in the very begining of the ride (countdown to launch). We were just waiting there for several mintues and then out of nowhere without anywarning or the countdown, we just took off!!!! My Neck was turned looking at my Fiance and it pretty much hurt the rest of the day. To boot, there wasnt any music either!

On the flip side of that, are trip last month we got stuck on Spaceship Earth for about 30 mintues. However, that was a really neat experiance because we were stuck at the top with all the stars, it was actually very romantic.:secret:

Ian
03-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Test Track- every trip- it breaks down while we are on or while we are in lineI can't believe it took 12 posts before someone mentioned Test Track. That ride has to have the breakdown record!

But hey at least it's not sponsored by Toyota. Then, at the end of the ride, all the cars would careen out of control, accelerating wildly, until they flew off the end of the track. ;)

c&d
03-15-2010, 11:25 AM
We were stuck on Splash Mtn. It was sort of funny because we had stopped shortly after the start for a bit. And then we stopped again several times during the ride and it was on the 2nd stop that we realized that none of the characters were moving. They were all just sort of drooped over. They looked very sad because the music was still going and you knew they should have been moving. On our last stop we thought they would have to evacuate us because we were stopped for about 10 minutes. But alas we started up again. It probably took us close to 1/2 to get through the ride.

azcavalier
03-15-2010, 11:25 AM
I have had the pleasure of getting "stuck" on several attractions. POTC, Jungle cruise, BTMMR (2 times). It was actually fun:mickey:

On Pirates, we got tired of hearing yo ho yo ho. They finally turned the light on and the music off. A cm in waders came and moved the boat backwards for us to evacuate from. Also had 2 evacs from BTMMR. Makes for great pictures and stories.

We also got stuck once, and they had to "wade" to get us back to a part we could walk out of. We were almost to the end, though...we were stuck watching the prisoners trying to get the key from the dog. It was cool to walk through the attraction, though.

However, as we were starting the ride, I said out loud to our party, "I wonder what this place looks like with the lights on." And we found out. We were stuck for 20 minutes before they rescued us. Now, it's a running joke whenever we get on this ride....someone has to say that.

SBETigg
03-15-2010, 11:26 AM
I can't believe it took 12 posts before someone mentioned Test Track. That ride has to have the breakdown record!

But hey at least it's not sponsored by Toyota. Then, at the end of the ride, all the cars would careen out of control, accelerating wildly, until they flew off the end of the track. ;)

Hey, I mentioned it in mine and I was the fifth post in. Test Track is notorious for breakdowns, but I've never been stuck on it. Evacuated from standing in line for half hour, but never on the ride itself.

azcavalier
03-15-2010, 11:27 AM
I can't believe it took 12 posts before someone mentioned Test Track. That ride has to have the breakdown record!

You know, the first time I went to Epcot, it was broken and we didn't get to ride it. I've been back quite a few times since then, and i've never seen it closed/non-functional. I've heard that it happens a lot, but apparently just not when we're around.

Watch, i've just jinxed myself. I'll probably get stuck on it in May.

LudwigVonDrake
03-15-2010, 11:32 AM
The only ride I've ever been "walked off" of was Big Thunder Mountain. Usually when I'm on a ride and it stops it starts right up again within a few minutes.

jenperich
03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
We got stopped on Splash Mountain FOREVER!! We must've been right under an air-conditioning vent too, because it was freezing.

Dragongirlx
03-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Been stuck on Haunted mansion in the graveyard scene (which is my least favourite bit) and on test track

crltkcagle
03-15-2010, 12:09 PM
I've spoken to multiple people who have gotten stuck on DINOSAUR (myself included). Not fun.

Dh and DS both got stuck on it. They turned the lights on and my husband began filming the attraction with the lights on. He even got the big T-rex that scares everyone. He got in trouble and they called him a trouble maker. They made him walk in the back by the CM so he wouldn't video anymore. So glad I wasn't with him as I would have turned bright red with embarrasment!

bruin1344
03-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Spaceship Earth and Haunted Mansion the most

Pop Centurion
03-16-2010, 11:17 PM
I've experienced brief stops on HM, IASM, Splash Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, & TTA.

I remember in 07' my Niece was getting on Splash Mountain for the first time. I decided to stay behind so I take pictures of her & my Fiance coming down the big drop. Well just as they approached the drop the ride stopped. After about 15 mins they evacuated everyone and they had to walk down from the very top.

paragon
03-17-2010, 07:21 AM
I would have to agree, I've seen Test Track go down more than any other ride. We were stuck on Splash Mountain once, for about 15 minutes, at the corner just below the big drop.
We also got stuck on Toy Story Mania the very first time we rode it, sat there and sat there,and got to practice shooting, and finally had to walk off. They gave us return fast passes.

Ms. Mode
03-17-2010, 11:26 AM
We got stuck on the Maelstrom in Norway back in January. It was very cold that evening and there's a switch back that you can see from the front of building if you're outside...they couldn't get us out of the 'doorway'...it was about 30 degrees. lol :thumbsup:

MadisonvilleMouse239
03-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Last year we got stuck on Test Track right in front of the big truck. Even though our vehicle wasn't moving the soundtrack kept looping, so every few seconds we got blasted by the horn.

The next thing we didn't really get stuck on, but on Rocking Rollercoaster someone didn't pull their restraint down far enough. Our limo wouldn't take off until a CM pulled it in place. Once the ride started we rode in complete silence!!! No music whatsoever!! That kinda bummed us out.:(

sfieldgirl16
03-17-2010, 01:46 PM
we got stuck on Expedition Everest. They had to walk us off the ride and we got to go behind the scenes. It was actually veryy funn!!! :mickey: and we got stuck on test track right in front of the truck and then when we started up agaiin,it didnt go on...Splash Mountain stopped right at the bottom of the hill when i was on it...that was funn tooo!!

marlaine
03-18-2010, 09:56 AM
We got stuck on Goofy's Barnstormer. A couple of cast members came to our plane and had to walk us off the track.
We got a FP to come back later.

Dznygrl79
03-18-2010, 10:48 AM
We wants the red head!!!

I was at a MNSSHP in 2008 and got stuck on POTC for about 30 mins but it was actually great. Our boat started to sing with the boat behind us!! They also gave us a fast pass at the end of the ride that we could use on any MK attraction!! But that was the worst I have ever had happen. I have been on HM when they have had to load a wheel chair and it stops for a min or two and the keeps going.

At Epcot like everyone said Test Track is the worst offender.Nemo and Space Ship Earth stop like HM for wheelchairs.

I have been stopped on Dinosaur and I can see that causing clausterophobia problems. It can go completely black and then start without warning and "come back to life" very suddenly ( I still get freaked out by the carnosaur!!)

I have been stuck once on Star Tours but again it was fun people started with Star Wars lines, we had to exit the ride for a second but then they loaded us from the opposite side into an emptying vehicle.

lettripp
03-18-2010, 07:02 PM
I WISH PotC had stopped while I was ON it. Instead, during a serious storm, Pirates lost electricity while we were underground in line. The queue was was PITCH BLACK, and we were standing hip to hip, crunched in the line for at least five minutes. Probably one of the most nerve-wracking Disney experiences I've ever had.

PirateLover
03-18-2010, 08:26 PM
TEST TRACK!!!! UGGGHHHH. We always seem to either get a car with a broken screen or get stuck. On the last trip we got stuck on the outside track, slanted to the left, on a ridiculously hot evening. Thankfully the sun had gone down because we were out there nearly 20 minutes before the ride started back up. This was right around the time of the GM Bailout so we were taking pictures and texting our friends with jokes about how this is what happens when the government takes over the auto industry, etc. That was the only thing keeping us sane. Illuminations started going off and the worst part was, it was behind us so we couldn't even enjoy it! The people behind us spoke very little English and were totally confused. They had never ridden before and we had to try to explain that it was not in fact part of the ride. :secret:

BriarRose0708
03-18-2010, 10:18 PM
This past weekend Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain all experienced shut downs or delays when I was either in the queue or on the ride. ToT was the worst because the car stopped right before the doors open for the drop. The audio cut out and we were in the dark a few minutes before the lights came on. We couldn't see anything cool because we were in the "elevator shaft." We stayed there for about 10 minutes and I thought we would have to be evacuated out, but eventually an announcement came on that the ride would continue with a full drop sequence. We dropped with the lights on, and then after that ended we got to go in the VIP entrance and get on the ride again with the lights out and full effects. We have a Cast Member friend who works full time at Space and was telling us how temperamental "she" is.

In my dreams
03-19-2010, 05:21 PM
I've been stuck on Dinosaur! It was so dark where we were at you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Kids were screaming. It's one of my favorite rides and I thought the whole thing was hilarious!! I don't think there was a malfunction, just had to "stop" the ride for a passenger entry or exit.

Darbylew
03-19-2010, 07:52 PM
We got stuck in Spaceship Earth one time and
we had to walk down stairs to get out. It was
strange. We have been stuck on a lot of rides
but this is the only one that never started back
up after it stopped.
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
MAY!!!!!:D:mickey:

22ridesandtheTOL
03-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Oh my, where to start. Reading this list one might imagine that I'm cursed, but I've always felt getting stuck was a treat and a gift. More time in the ride and seeing the ride. Plus, a lot of fun meeting people and enjoying a laugh.

In a time span from 1998 through 2009 the following adventures in ride stoppage happened:

1) Peter Pan...right next to the Tower of London for about 15 minutes. That was actually quite the treat.

2) Splash Mountain: 20 minutes by the Zipp-a-dee-doo-dah boat, then again for a few more minutes by the spot where the bear is stuck. Heh, we were as well. Loved that though.

3) Dinosaur (back when I still dared to ride it). The lights came on, the car kept rocking and rolling, and the guy behind us announced (after about five minutes) that he had to go to the bathroom.

4) It's a Small World. Ten minutes in the end section where they're all dressed in white. It was a slow day, so no one in my boat or the boat ahead and behind me. That was a long ten minutes.

5) Buzz Lightyear....just a brief pause but boy did I rack up the points.

6) Pooh - that was a treat as it was in the rain room, lots of fun to look at all the details.

7) Snow White - in the opening forest scene, just so briefly but it still counts.

8) Pirates - Heh....that was for over 20 minutes. It was in the town scene which is forever burned in my brain. Eventually the cast members came wading out in hip boots and dragged the boats along to a place we could exit from. Then they walked us around back. Plus they offered a re-ride after they got it going again, but we declined.

9) Spaceship Earth. OK, this happens so frequently we used to have a bet going as to what place it would occur in. I gather that not all of those experiences might count though because they stop the ride to help people on and off as needed. Sad to say, it's never happened at the top where one can see the stars and Earth.

10)The Great Movie Ride....the ancient temple scene for about five minutes.

11) Maelstrom at least 3 or 4 times but ever so briefly.

12) FIgment, in the section where the disappearing butterfly is.

:mickey:

PS. There was also that time we got stuck in the room because we were too tired to walk from the Boardwalk Inn to Illuminations, but that might not count as a ride. ;)

caryrae
03-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Not really stuck but Test Track for us, one time the ride stopped moving 5 different times on the same go around. Many times it was just closed down for hours or the whole day.

AXOAlum
03-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Dead men tell no tails is stuck in my head for ever. Pirates of the Caribbean we got stuck at the dead men tell no tails and had to be taken out the back.

We also got stuck at the same place on PoC years ago. (We were there for the grand opening of DAK if that tells you how long it ago it happened.) We sat there for an hour listening repeatedly to "Dead Men Tell No Tales..." ugh - they never came & got us though. I too am claustrophobic & I was ready to start paddling after the first 2 minutes!

Morpheous
03-21-2010, 01:43 AM
I can't honestly say that I've been stuck on any ride in Disney World. Always seems to happen though just after we get off so we always seem to luck out and miss it.

I have been stuck on a few rides in Disneyland though.

Its a Small World the entire ride got backed up and the boats started going backwards, then forwards, then backwards some more. Then eventually we were taken out through the back and given a pass to bypass any line for any attraction. (This was before Fast Pass)

Pirates of the Caribbean is another one got stuck at the drop the boat before us went down, then we got up there and sat there for about 45 minutes. It was pretty neat though. It was dark, and cool on a very hot and sunny day. So a nice break!

I don't really count the temporary stops on HM, or Spaceship Earth since they don't last for very long.

I have seen people stuck on Space Mountain though (the WDW one), when the Tomorrowland Transit Authority went through all the lights were on and saw people sitting in the cars just waiting. Think we even took a picture!

Victor Kelly
03-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Too numerous to count. One of the worst was when the skyway was still in operation. We were stuck for over an hour over the Grand Prix Raceway.

HM, POTC, COP, IASW, well heck, just about everything in MK and EPCOT. Since we don't go to the studios that much or AK our experiences are limited.

sfunicello
03-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Space Mountain is definitely one that breaks down all the time. It is unusual to go a whole day without breaking down at least once. In fact just the other day it was down five different times over the course of the day!

Ksmith75
03-21-2010, 05:46 PM
We had a horrible experiance last year with the rockn roller coaster. We got stuck in the very begining of the ride (countdown to launch). We were just waiting there for several mintues and then out of nowhere without anywarning or the countdown, we just took off!!!! My Neck was turned looking at my Fiance and it pretty much hurt the rest of the day. To boot, there wasnt any music either!

On the flip side of that, are trip last month we got stuck on Spaceship Earth for about 30 mintues. However, that was a really neat experiance because we were stuck at the top with all the stars, it was actually very romantic.:secret:

Was that in the very begining of May? If it was, we were on the same car....we waited and waited then it took off with no warning or music!

DH and I were stuck on SSE...for about 35 minutes near the top of the ride....We were fine, and I do get a bit clausterphobic, but I was fine...the only annoying part was the "Please remain seated, the ride will start shortly" or something like that - we heard it 100 times! Still had a great time though...we will be there in 5 weeks

Bubbie Girl
03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I really enjoyed reading all your stories. Sounds like Test Track is the worst at getting stuck. I have never riden that ride but my family has and so far never stopped while on it. :thumbsup:Thanks for the input.

BluewaterBrad
03-25-2010, 04:30 PM

LOL!!

Minnie97
03-26-2010, 06:49 PM
The first time i rode the Barnstormer it stopped in the middle of the chain lift for what seemed like eternity (luckily i was with my Dad):mickey: It happened on TT to the second time i rode it, it's not bad though

gollybass
03-26-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm wondering, having never experienced it, but on a ride like space mountain do you continue rolling a bit, or do you come to an abrupt stop?

Bubbie Girl
03-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Oh gollybass...Good question.

Morpheous
03-27-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm wondering, having never experienced it, but on a ride like space mountain do you continue rolling a bit, or do you come to an abrupt stop?

Depends on the coaster really, if it has braking built into the cars its self, or if its at various points through the ride. But in either case if the the ride is stopped. Once you reach a brake section, or the Ride Vehicle its self receives a stop command it would stop you very quickly.

I am fairly sure I have seen Roller Coasters (not at disney) stop mid loop with people stuck upside down. Its mainly due to the fact that if a safety switch is thrown the ride basically goes into a complete stop as to not risk more serious problems.

Bubbie Girl
03-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Oh my gosh, I would totally freak if I ever got stopped upside down:eek:

disney1122
03-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Oh! Splash Mt is the worst! We were stuck on that ride for a long time! The boats got all backed up. It was not fun! We rode is a 2nd time on a different day and was totally fine. You just never know.

caryrae
03-30-2010, 10:46 AM
One ride ya can't really count but there is a spot you can get "stuck" at for a little while is I think the Norway ride (can't remember) but when you get off the boats and you have no choice but to wait for the doors to the movie to open to leave.

DisneyBarb
03-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Test track several times..
Splash mountain right before we were heading up the big hill.. 20 mins..
TMR - right before the end, but there were people going up the hill that were stopped...only 5 mins

Touchdown
03-31-2010, 11:52 PM
No coaster stops in a loop, unless something has gone "horribly wrong" in a non Imagineer type way. Roller Coaster cars have no breaks attached, what they do have is a metal fin generally underneath the car. The track has the actual breaks, two metal strips that squeeze that fin on both sides causing friction and causing the train to stop.

Roller Coasters are run safely by employing a block system, SM included, only one train is allowed to be in a block which either ends in a break or a lift (ie something that will stop the car from progressing further.) Sensors along the track regulate this and when they sense that a block up ahead has a train still in it that sensor will activate the block break to stop the next car from entering the block.

mudpuppysmom
04-04-2010, 03:44 PM
This was not at Disney, but we were stuck on Manta at SW last year......they pulled us up into the "fly" position and we started out of the station and there we sat for about 20 minutes I swear! Once we got started though it was awesome!

At Disney we've been stuck on Splash Mt. a few times and our top get "stuck" attraction is:

It's a Small World After All, It's a Small World After All, It's aSmall World After All, It's a Small, Small World.................and now it's stuck in my head for days!!!!

waymickey
04-05-2010, 07:24 PM
My family and I got stuck on the TA last time we were at MK. We were on the ride for a long time , so long that the park had closed and we were still in the cars. They had to open the cars with some kind of magent i think. Then we had to walk down behind space montian. We had to go over the tracks and being under 5 foot tall one of the cast member had to pick me up to get me over since I could not make the stride. Pretty embaressing. We got a fast pass lanyard for all the big MK rides for our next day in MK for the trouble.

retiredfigment
04-06-2010, 12:26 PM
I've been stuck on Pirates of the Carribean a few times but that doesn't really bother me. Spaceship Earth has stopped on me twice, both times when we were coming down backwards. Uncomfortable.