PDA

View Full Version : Name Game!

The Flying Dutchman
03-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi all,

As I have mentioned previously, DW and I are looking forward to welcoming a daughter into the world in August! :thumbsup:

I was wondering if you have any name suggestions. The names do not have to have anything to do with Disney (but if they do, they cannot be too obvious. People think we are disney-crazy as it is... :mickey: )

I can't wait to see what you guys come up with :D

Disney4us2
03-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Names are such a personal choice, but I will play along:)

I have been a big Disney fan for a long time, but didn't give a Disney name to my DD. I grew up with the tradition that you honor your ancestors by naming your child after someone who is deceased, So I had 3 realatives that I wanted to name my DD after. I gave her the name of Jessica Lynn Hokulani (insert last name), Jessica was after my grandfather Joseph, Lynn is after my grandmother Lillian, and her Hawaiian name Hokulani (heavenly star) is after my grandmother Hilda,

Jessica later on added another name after her favorite princess.....Cinderella. So not legally she is Jessica Lynn Hokulani Cinderella.

As far as Disney names... there is always Ariel, Belle, Jasmine. Those are fairly popular. There was a girl at my DD's school with the name of Kiara (Lion King). In her class this year is a girl named Tiana.

On a side note... I had a bunny named Thumper:mickey:

Have fun choosing a name

jillluvsdisney
03-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Girls: Megan, Rory and Delaney

Boys: Finn

JohnnyNovo
03-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Misty Love

jennbunn
03-14-2010, 08:18 PM
well if ds would have been a dd the name i chose was mackenzie eleanore. as far as disney names i have to go with giselle. she is my favorite princess. or i also like daisy and annette. :)

RedSoxFan
03-14-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm partial to Kourtney (DD13). I also like Isabelle.

bucky at disney
03-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Alyssa Mae (it's my name in Pig Latin :blush:)

Makenzie - my DD name - and have seen many different spellings

Brooklyn Rose

Dragongirlx
03-15-2010, 11:42 AM
How about Ella as in Cinder- ella
or Rose (briar rose)

Ian
03-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Girls: Megan, Rory and Delaney

Boys: FinnIrish much? ;)

We're actually expecting as well (although we don't know what it is yet) and have been sort of struggling with names.

For a boy we're sort of partial to Brayden (or Braydon or Braden ... not sure how we'd spell it yet) and we're also considering Joshua.

For girls we like Addison and we've also talked about Sloane. I actually like Delaney ... that's cute. Have to suggest that to DW.

Hey if you're an iPhone user there's a Baby names app out there that's pretty cool. There's also a website who's URL escapes me at the moment (a quick Google search should turn it up) that lets you enter in names you like and it then returns other name suggestions for you. Kinda cool.

Dznygrl79
03-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Names can really make a personality..
personally Logan, Alice, Kaitlyn, or Bella are my favs.

Disney Doll
03-15-2010, 12:17 PM
A couple of suggestions...

1. As someone who had a very popular name for my generation I think it's important to find names that are unique, but not so unique that they are weird. Check the SSA list of names and decide if you really want your kid to be "Michelle with two l's" or "Michelle D." for their entire school career. I even had a classmate with the same first and last name as me.

2. As a teacher I wanted to mention that using a shall we say, nontraditional spelling does not make you creative. Rules of phonics do still apply. Just a pet peeve.

I like Delaney and Sloane. Fits my unique, but not weird rule. I should have come here for suggestions. We never could decide on a girl's name, but luckily we had two boys. :D

DizNee143
03-15-2010, 01:16 PM
im partial to Cheyenne..
granted thats what we named our 3 month old lol..
its kinda common but you really not that common..wanted something different..
and didnt want a common name!
we also liked the name jade/jayde..

MMFreak
03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
When my husband and I were expecting our first child (a girl) we could not agree on any names we thought up individually so......

We purchased a baby name book and we both went through it separately and he chose the names he liked and circled them with one color pen and then I went back and circled the names that I like with another color pen and there were only two names in the entire girl names selections that we agreed on and they happened to go together well we named my daughter…

Kaitlyn Nicole

We love this name and would recommend to you :mickey:

pink
03-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Vivienne, Isabella, Anatasia, Evangaline (sp), Abigail, Emma.

I like the idea of using family members names to use as middle names.

ozmom
03-15-2010, 06:35 PM
When my husband and I were expecting our first child (a girl) we could not agree on any names we thought up individually so......

We purchased a baby name book and we both went through it separately and he chose the names he liked and circled them with one color pen and then I went back and circled the names that I like with another color pen and there were only two names in the entire girl names selections that we agreed on and they happened to go together well we named my daughter…

Kaitlyn Nicole

We love this name and would recommend to you :mickey:

Pretty name - I like this one!!!

I always liked Samantha for a girl with the nickname Sam. Have fun - sometimes you may not want to make your final selection until you meet your bundle of joy and see what you think fits. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

Tiggerlovr9000
03-15-2010, 06:53 PM
We chose Kathey Ann and Susan Joy for our dds names. They were the only ones with those first names all through school.

disney obsessed
03-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Names can be very hard to chose. I always felt a huge responsibility because your child is stuck with it forever. It also needs to fit if s/he is young or old, professional baseball player or president of the US. My sister in law gave me the best advice ever. Do not tell anyone the baby's name until it has come into the world. Then introduce him or her as.....Tom, Dick or Jane. That way they cannot comment on how that name reminds them of the bad kid in their 2nd grade class or what ever negative thought they have about it that makes your feel funny about the choice.

I gave my kids three names so that they could have some variety if they wanted. They don't. they go by what we have always called them.

Victoria, Julie and Caroline.

Cinderelley
03-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Names we liked -
Jessica Lynn
Danielle Christine
Kayla Renee

Jeniflower
03-16-2010, 08:32 AM
You should also watch what names can be shortened too, Mine for example shortens quite well but some can be bad

i like Meg for a short name or Aoife (pronounced EE-FA)
For something a bit more unusual how about Spring, autumn winter or summer depending on when she is due

what ever name she has she'll be lucky with two wondeful parents anyway...

Disney4us2
03-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Names we liked -
Jessica Lynn
Danielle Christine
Kayla Renee

GMTA.... Jessica Lynn is my DD's name:mickey:

Jeri Lynn
03-16-2010, 01:37 PM
I tried to pick names for my children that meant something to me or my husband...

Alyssa Catherine (my beloved Memere' was Alice Catherine)

Amanda Lynn (my middle name is Lynn)

Katrina May - I loved Katie May but I wanted a more formal name and I loved Katrina, May is my Grandmother's maiden name, everyone calls her Katie May

John Charles...because he is a junior!

Whatever name you pick, keep in mind what kind of nicknames it can be shortened to and if they would be what you like and sometimes the spelling is different (for ex. Megan/Meaghan)
will the spelling cause problems along the way.

Good Luck! What an exciting time!

Cinderelley
03-17-2010, 01:17 AM
GMTA.... Jessica Lynn is my DD's name:mickey:

:thumbsup:

QTPie68
03-17-2010, 01:39 AM
I always wanted a girl and name her Arabella and call her Belle for short. It would have sounded great with my last name!

princessgirls
03-17-2010, 09:54 AM
I think the name Riley is adorable.

Riley Grace for a girl and for a boy I like Kyle.

Kyle John was my boys name both times when I was pregnant.
I still love the names John, Jake, Jack...classic names.

My girls names are: Morgan Elizabeth and Madison Emma. Both have the same initials...WHAT WAS I THINKING????

Oh, wait I wasn't...2 kids in 13 months. I had no time to think!!

God Bless to all who are expecting. Such a amazing time in your life!!
Enjoy!
Julie:mickey:

RedSoxFan
03-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Riley Grace for a girl and for a boy I like Kyle.

Kyle is a great name: DS20 is Kyle Robert.

cer
03-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Do not tell anyone the baby's name until it has come into the world. Then introduce him or her as.....Tom, Dick or Jane. That way they cannot comment on how that name reminds them of the bad kid in their 2nd grade class or what ever negative thought they have about it that makes your feel funny about the choice.

YESSSS! Excellent advice here! This is what we did after having one of our potential names talked over in a negative way by my sister-in-law.

Never talked to ANYONE about the names ever again. We decided and when they were born we told everyone their name at that point.

Highly recommend this.

DizNee143
03-17-2010, 11:03 AM
YESSSS! Excellent advice here! This is what we did after having one of our potential names talked over in a negative way by my sister-in-law.

Never talked to ANYONE about the names ever again. We decided and when they were born we told everyone their name at that point.

Highly recommend this.

i didnt do this..when people asked i told them what we were deciding between..and then once we finally agreed on Cheyenne Marie..we told everyone..if anyone had anything bad to say its just there opinion anc i could careless what they gotta say..as long as me and the hubby liked the name its all that matters..
i dont get one people hide the names..granted some people wont name a kid until they are actually born..but some people are soooo protective over the names they like for kids..cuz someone might steal them...uhhh hellllooo..there are millions of people with the same name all over the world..lol..
sorry that just gets me..
hope you guys come up with a good name!
cant wait to hear what it is!!! =)

cer
03-17-2010, 02:14 PM
..we told everyone..if anyone had anything bad to say its just there opinion anc i could careless what they gotta say..as long as me and the hubby liked the name its all that matters..

To be honest, we did not realize that it would bother us until it did. From then on we kept the names between us until we had settled on it.

diz_girl
03-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Don't go for trendy, go for the classics instead.

For a lot of people, you can tell how old they are by their name, although I'm an exception. At age 40, I have the same name as (probably) 1 in 10 girls born between 1985 and 2005. I was born in 1969, but my name became extremely popular when I was in my 20s, so everywhere I turned some mother was yelling at her daughter, "Amanda, come here. Amanda, come here." It drove me crazy. So about 50-60 years from now, the nursing homes will be filled with Amandas and Brittanys.

But the classics never go out of style, so here are my favorites -

Caroline (family name)
Abigail
Anastasia (family name)

allirae
03-20-2010, 04:31 PM
My husband and I are really funny about this. We have 4, and didn't find out the gender of any before birth. So that meant choosing a boy name and a girl name for each! We felt the name had to sound as good when they were 80 as when they were 2, nicknames had to sound ok to us as well, the first and last name had to sound good together as well as the first, middle and last. We didn't want something trendy, and we wanted to go with tradittional spellings as much as possibe so they wouldn't spend their entire schooling correcting others. A lot of criteria, huh? So here they are:
Evelyn Noelle
Joseph Daniel
Johnathon William
Maris Elise

TigChatt
03-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Congrats on the upcoming baby girl!

My favorite name for a little girl is Kennedy Alexis. I loved Delaney too but DH had always nixed it. As for classic, Charlotte is another fav

pianobabe
03-21-2010, 10:02 AM
I don't have any particular names, but I do have some advise. Having spent the vast majority of my nursing career in maternity, I have seen literally thousands of names. There has been everything from the traditional, to the "what-in-the-world" are they thinking names. The main thing I would tell you is to choose a name which fits her. Sometimes you pick a name and once you see her, it doesn't seem to work. Names are very important. It is something she will have to use her entire life. Be nice and make it something she will not have to repeatedly spell out for people when she is telling someone what her name is.

alphamommy
03-22-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't have any names to suggest, but want to echo some advice that others have given.

Be careful with creative spellings, or names that have to be constantly explained. My DD10 has 3 "Kay-Lee" (phonetic spelling) in her grade, and all are spelled VERY differently. I guess that's okay, but you always have to ask "which one?" when DD talks about one of them.

My "real" name is Tamara, pronounced "TAM-a-rah". I've spent my entire life correcting people - it's not "Tam-RRR-a"! My sister named me with the intent that I be called "Tammy", so I wish she would have just named me what she wanted me to be called.

I'd also recommend being careful of the initials. DD's initials are "ACK". When I talked to one friend right after she was born, he said, "So, you really went with 'ACk', huh?"

Good luck!

magicalmom
04-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Both of our DDs have common, very feminine first names which lend themselves to androgynous nicknames - Alexandra, (Alex, Ally)) and Samantha (Sam, Sammie). We then gave them very unusual and individual middle names. Now they have lots of choices. We also looked up what the names mean, which helped us in our selections - Alexandra mean "helper of mankind" (it's Greek) and Samantha is a Hebrew name that means "listener". Although, to be honest, she should have been named "talker" . . .

Georgesgirl1
04-05-2010, 10:22 PM
DH and I are big about family names. DS is actually the 5th, but he goes by his middle name to avoid confusion. If we have a girl someday, I want to name her after my great grandmothers'. Either Lillian Irene or Margaret Irene. I think Lillian and Margaret are classic names with options for nicknames when they are younger, but they are more "grown up" names for when they are adults.

Dopey's Girl
04-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Congrats on the upcoming baby girl!

My favorite name for a little girl is Kennedy Alexis. I loved Delaney too but DH had always nixed it. As for classic, Charlotte is another fav

My 10 month old Niece is a Kennedy! I love that name, but mostly because I love her!

As a Megan, who's parents wanted me to be Meg-AN, not ME-gan, they spelled it Meggan, and no one ever gets it right. Kind of annoying.

I'm also for unique names, but they have to pass what I call the playground test. Kids are cruel enough to one another, having a name to be picked on for isn't going to help them grow up without a complex!

My favorites for girls are: Olivia, Makenna, and Sydney.

My boy choices would be : Owen, Finn, Charles (Charlie for short), and Henry.

Good luck with the choice!

Lakin
04-10-2010, 09:57 PM
I like these names:
*Winter
*Violet (hinted Disney...Incredibles)
*Marie (hinted Disney...Aristocats)

And I also kinda like my own name....LOL. Although, lots try to spell it Laken (which, some people with that name do). But it's Lakin (Lay-kin).

So many cool names out there, make sure you don't rush yourselves!

elorac
04-11-2010, 12:19 AM
I always wanted a girl and name her Arabella and call her Belle for short. It would have sounded great with my last name!

My MIL's name is Arabela and my mom's name is Ella. I always thought that would have been a perfect combination of their two names: name a girl Arabela but call her Ella.

For the past 20 years, my favorite name for a girl is Rouen (Rowan).

beksy
04-21-2010, 06:51 PM
I'd never considered Delaney but I like it. My favorites have always been Kelsey, Brooke, Brianna, and Gabrielle. I also like Kennedy and I love Rose for a middle name. I like Cassandra but my sister has claimed that one. I love my sister's name--Rebekah. Its the Biblical spelling and she goes by Beka instead of Bekie. Congratulations and have fun picking out a name!

crazypoohbear
04-21-2010, 08:31 PM
I just want to point out that you are living in Massachusetts now, so to name your new daughter Kennedy, unless you are a strong democrat, well.....:blush:

You don't say what you and your wife's ancestery is, will that matter to you.
Do you want to go Irish, Italian, French?
Things to keep in mind while choosing a name.
1) what can it be shortened to?
2) what can it be rhymed with
3) what do the initials spell out?
Robert Alan Thomas = RAT
Pat - if you have a chubby daughter - fat pat ( know someone who STILL calls a girl this at age 59!!!!)

I prefer simple, classic names, my boy's are Tim and Joe!

Now my personal favorite if I had been blessed with a girl would have been
Shannon Nicole (I'm Irish and my hubby is french)
I was born in August so you will most likely have a LEO and she will be strong willed and stubborn, keep that in mind! a born leader, fierce, loyal, dependable.

Dulcee
04-21-2010, 08:40 PM
My name is Ashton and as a girl that has always gotten me a lot of attention. Having a unique name is something I'd never change and gender jumping names are always interesting.

That being said, I'm personally a fan of old names that have fallen out of favor lately...

Constance
Temperance
Abaigail
Gwendolyn

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-23-2010, 11:53 PM
What we did was narrow our list down to 4-5 names. We didn't decide on a name because too many people we knew decided on a name only to come home from the hospital with a child of a different name.

With both of our kids, we did NOT find out the sex. So, we had a list of 8-10 names. For our first, being an election year and the shower was a week before voting for pres, we had a poster made with our top 4 names for a boy and one for a girl. Everyone that attended got a sticker and voted for their Favorite name.

Girl - Elizabeth, Natalie, Kailea (k-eye-lee-ah - hawaiian name), Gabrielle(winner)

Boy - Benjamin, Sebastian, Ian(winner) and Zachary

#1 = Girl = Natalie. If during labor you asked me what the name would be if it was a girl, I would have said Gabrielle. As soon as I saw her face, she was Natalie.

For #2, we had lists for each BUT THEY CHANGED ALMOST DAILY!!!!

Girl - Gabrielle (cousin had this on her list so, I gave it to her!), Isabel, Sabrina, Nina, Malena, Kailea, Simone

Boy - same as the first list.

#2=girl=Isabel. It took me almost a full day to name her. I was torn between Isabel and Sabrina (nick name Nina!).

My most favorite name however is Nayah (N-eye-ah). This would have been Natalie's name but, a few months before I had her, my cousin had her baby (never told anyone their name) and she named her DD Maya. So, they are a few months apart and would have been Nayah and Maya.

If there is ever a number 3, I will name her Nayah or Kailea or Evangeline (far enough in age). If a boy, the only name we like is Zachary.

Good luck and congrats!

the other micki
04-24-2010, 12:50 AM
I never got to name a girl, but these were the ones I liked:

Emma Grace (my friend accidentally took this one from me; thank goodness I had a boy!) :D

I also like the names Natalie and Caroline.

If I had a little girl today, I would probably name her Kristin Faith.

browneyedgirl12
05-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I like the name Analeigh (pronounced with a soft "a") for a girl. Congrats on your child :)

mrsgaribaldi
05-04-2010, 03:38 AM
I like Nicole or Kylee and Michael or Charles. I always wanted a girl named Nicole (Nicky) Congratulations :mickey:

beksy
05-05-2010, 09:16 AM
We're actually expecting as well (although we don't know what it is yet) and have been sort of struggling with names.

Off topic but just wanted to say Congratulations to your family, too!

Jennifer_and_Chris
05-05-2010, 09:36 AM
I just wanted to add that there is a book and website that we loved when we were prego and name hunting. The book is The Name Wizard and the website is the same name with .com at the end.

Good Luck and let us know (if you can) what names you have chosen. I love to hear what names people have selected and why.

SallyMcQueen
05-05-2010, 04:52 PM
I like traditional names. With both kids, I wanted to give them a name that would work when they were 30, 60, 90. There are just some names to me that don't work the older you get. So we have a Hannah and Nicholas. I was worried that Hannah would be one of a bazillion in her class at school, but she is actually the only one. It was the third most popular name the year she was born. Then there's Nicholas who has earned so many nicknames its crazy--Nikko, husband's family is Greek and that is what his GF called him and then he started calling himself that, Nickel, Pickle, Nickel Pickle. I tried coming up with all sorts of weird nicknames before they were born, but never thought anyone would call him Nickel Pickle, which he loves.

Names that I liked but never got to use were:
Girls - Jenna, Kristina, Isabella
Boys - Christopher, Alexander (there's about 7 Alexanders in my husbands family)

magicalmom
05-07-2010, 09:50 PM
We gave our girls relatively common, very feminine first names with androgynous nicknames (Alexandra, Samantha - Alex, Ally, Lex, Lexy, Sam, Sammy, etc.) coupled with unusual and rather literary middle names so as adults they'll have many options. So far so good. We also considered what the names mean: Alexandra means "helper of mankind" (Greek) and Samantha is Hebrew for "listener".

The Flying Dutchman
05-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all your warm wishes and great ideas. As funny (or sad) as it is, we are STILL debating names! :blush::D Thank you to all that have contributed to the list!

Magic Smiles
06-02-2010, 03:05 AM
Had my son been a girl, he would have been Paige Alexandra. Still love this name.

edwards2301
06-09-2010, 11:01 PM
I named my youngest Lilly after Walt's wife. There used to be the empress lilly at downtown disney it was what is now fultons crab house. a lot of people ask where we thought of it and I tell them but it isn't obvious.
Good luck. My husband and I are both in education and it was REALLY hard to find a name that didn't remind us of a student or make us think of what kind of nicknames the other kids would come up with for her.