PDA

View Full Version : washing machine odor

disneymom15
03-13-2010, 11:05 AM
We have a laundry/mud room combo. It's the first room you enter from the garage. We've noticed a musty odor when we enter the room. Husband said the odor is coming from the washer. Any home remedies that will take the smell away?

Itchy
03-13-2010, 11:49 AM
If you alway leave the lid down if it is a top loader they can get musty because they cannot dry properly. I always leave mine open and no smell. If it is there now I would run a cycle with bleach in the water to kill any mildew that may be in the tub.

If it a front loader I would still run a cycle with bleach to kill the odor.

Hope this helps:mickey:

Zippy 1
03-13-2010, 12:34 PM
I would also run bleach through the machine. If you don't like the bleach odor afterwards in your mud room I would then run baking soda through the machine to clean the odor of bleach out. I have done this with great results. If this does not get rid of the odor check under your machine to make sure you do not have a small water leak that is creating mold under the machine.

wdw_bound
03-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Is it a front loader? If so, there are special tablets you can buy at Lowes to clean the drum. When not in use, you should leave the door open whenever feasible. Hope that helps.

murphy1
03-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Clorox just came out with a washing machine cleaner, it's $3 and you can get about 4 uses out of it, I tried it and liked it. It doesn't have the strong bleach smell, I also do a double or triple rinse cycle to make sure it all comes out. Also, I saw an HGTV thing where this guy used vinegar and hot water and rinsed.

CanadianWDWFan
03-13-2010, 03:15 PM
We have a front loader and it does smell musty from time to time. Like the others have said, we buy the tablets for cleaning the washer. This seems to help our odour problems.

MNNHFLTX
03-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Having recently bought a new washer, I did a lot of research and became aware of this frequent problem with front loaders (like ours). When the washer is not allowed to dry completely in between loads of laundry, mold and bacteria may start to grow inside the barrel. The key is to leave the door open after each wash to give the inside of the machine time to dry out. The maker of my washer also recommends running a sanitizing cycle once a month. The super-heated water helps to kills mold and bacteria. If your washer doesn't have a sanitizing cycle, I would do as others have suggested and run a cycle with bleach.

BrerGnat
03-14-2010, 09:44 PM
google: "smelly washer".

There is literally a product called Smelly Washer that gets rid of this problem! I had it with my washer as well.

Bleach will mask the smell, but it won't get rid of the problem.

You need to use a product with enzymes that will actually break down and remove the buildup of mold, bacteria, and old soap deposits.

After you use this product, in the future:

1. Always leave the washing machine door open between loads

2. Never wash with "cold" water, unless you are washing delicates or colors that will bleed. Cold water actually is a major cause of this problem, as the detergent and "gunk" from your laundry doesn't get washed away by the warm water at the end of the cycle. The cold water actually coagulates it and it builds up faster.

3. Never leave damp loads in the washer overnight.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-14-2010, 09:58 PM
A web site that I subscribe to has some handy hints and recommends running white vinegar through the rinse cycle.

bucky at disney
03-15-2010, 10:39 AM
A web site that I subscribe to has some handy hints and recommends running white vinegar through the rinse cycle.

I second the white vinegar! I have even used it when I have forgotten towels in the washer and they smell musty - works every time.

Mickey'sGirl
03-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Just popping in to ask you all to ALWAYS use cold water in your wash. It is environmentally responsible. There are several concentrated cold water products available, both in "green" brands, and in mainstream favourite national brands. Use the washer cleaning product periodically, and you are all set! :thumbsup:

I will get off my soapbox now :blush:.

MNNHFLTX
03-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Just popping in to ask you all to ALWAYS use cold water in your wash. It is environmentally responsible. There are several concentrated cold water products available, both in "green" brands, and in mainstream favourite national brands. Use the washer cleaning product periodically, and you are all set! :thumbsup:

I will get off my soapbox now :blush:.I'm with you on the cold water use, Jennifer. That and non-toxic, biodegradeable laundry detergent. :thumbsup:

EeyoresBestFriend
03-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Hi , All ~

Just thought I'd trip in to also say that orange Tang crystals also work wonders for the washer. Works really well with a dishwasher too ~ removes stains and cleans it.

Needless to say I stopped drinking Tang after seeing well how it scoured the dishwasher . . . :D

And me too with the cold water only! :)

DisneyDog
03-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Our old washer was only 4 years old and was very smelly. Turns out there was a crack and a leak. The under side of the washer was rusting, thus the smell. We ended up having to replace it.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-28-2010, 08:34 PM

Unfortunately with allergies, they recommend you use HOT water to clean your bedding. But I do use cold water for everything else.

MNNHFLTX
03-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Unfortunately with allergies, they recommend you use HOT water to clean your bedding.Yes, that it is totally understandable--the best way to kills dust mites that some people are allergic to is to wash in hot water. :)

brownie
03-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Sears Manage My Home recommends cleaning your washer twice a year. Here's the recommended cleaning procedure:

Clean your washer. First, remove germs and detergent buildup by running an empty load with hot water and two cups of chlorine bleach or white vinegar (see your owner's manual for recommendations for your washer). In the middle of the wash cycle, add 1/2 cup of detergent. Let the load run the full cycle.

Dizneyana
04-02-2010, 04:38 PM
I second the white vinegar! I have even used it when I have forgotten towels in the washer and they smell musty - works every time.

I've used both the bleach and vinegar which both have their own odor. If you know someone who makes colloidal silver water, it works great for the musty, moldy smell.

You can use it on any load of wash that you may have forgotten as well.

Good Luck, but I think you'll get there! :thumbsup:

MegaDisney
04-02-2010, 05:32 PM

Not to mention your clothes will last longer and your electric bill will be cheaper.

I ALWAYS wash in cold water.

Dizneyana
04-02-2010, 07:08 PM
I ALWAYS wash in cold water.

Ditto... I meant to mention that... :blush:

magicalmom
04-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Double check the floor below your drain hose - you can get condensation and dripping there, which can cause odors -