PDA

View Full Version : Online check-in skeptic

homeschool mom
03-12-2010, 07:53 AM
DH and I took an anniv. trip to WDW last April - just the two of us - so I did online check in for the first time. I was so excited to think our wait time at check-in would be shorter than usual. I have to say, it was the worst check in experience I have ever had! We stayed at CBR and when we walked into the Custom House, there was a line to the regular check-in and no line at all at online check-in. Of course, I thought we would breeze right through and leave all those other vacationers in the dust. Not so! The other line of at least 6 families was gone and checked in and DH and I were still waiting. The CM who was supposed to be working with us was helping another guest look for something he had lost while 2 or 3 other CMs just stood behind the counter and looked on! I thought one of them could at least help the other guest while the online check-in CM did her job. (I know, selfish, right?) DH and I just waited impatiently for a long time. Long enough for 6 other families to check in in the conventional way and be on their way to their vacation.

Now, I say all that to say, I am very skeptical about doing online check-in for our upcoming trip. Did I just hit it at a bad time? I don't know what to do. Our first day we will have my mom with us just for that day and I would like her to get as much time in MK as possible since she has never been there. I don't want to be waiting around at online check-in if we could get it all done quicker the conventional way.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with online check-in?

Ian
03-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Checking in at Disney hotels often reminds me of waiting at the DMV. Guests are stacked up 10 deep. There are two CM's actually working check in and about 15 others sitting around, staring at computer screens, furtively poking their heads out from backstage to see if anyone's looking for them, and at least two "managers" standing around with radios clipped to their belts trying to look important.

homeschool mom
03-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Today 07:59 AM by Ian
Checking in at Disney hotels often reminds me of waiting at the DMV. Guests are stacked up 10 deep. There are two CM's actually working check in and about 15 others sitting around, staring at computer screens, furtively poking their heads out from backstage to see if anyone's looking for them, and at least two "managers" standing around with radios clipped to their belts trying to look important.

Wow, that is exactly what happened to us. You hit that right on!

kakn7294
03-12-2010, 08:29 AM
We did online check-in twice and found it unnecessary both times. First, when you arrive at Pop at 1:30 am there tends to not be a line so online check-in did nothing for us there. And in July when we arrived at WL, there was nobody else in line there either so online check-in was pretty much useless there too. I'm not sure if I'll use it again or not. Probably I will just because it made me feel like my vacation was sooooo much closer to starting to be able to say that I checked into my resort already.

Ms. Mode
03-12-2010, 08:32 AM
I just decided to check-in the regular way, it's going to be a wait, I know that so I try not to let it bother me...HEY....I'm at WDW....the "Happiest Place on Earth" :mickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-12-2010, 09:05 AM
We had a great experience with online checkin. We got to SSR about 6:15pm or so. There was a line for the online checkin... about 3-4 cast members for the regular checkin line. No one in the online checkin and as soon as the cast member saw me looking around for the online checkin line, she waive me right over and welcomed me home.

I was in and out so fast that my DD's didn't get enough time to watch the cartoons in their mini chairs and my sisters were still in the bathroom. :thumbsup:

I will be using it again this October. Also, and maybe this is my own folklore, but, my treehouse request was honored even with a later checkin time and I believe that my early checkin had to do with it.... but, that's my own wives tale around getting a room request. :blush:

vicster
03-12-2010, 09:14 AM
We did online checkin last Sept. and had no problems whatsoever (POFQ). Our packet was ready and waiting for us. A couple of years ago we stayed at CBR for the first time (not online checkin) and it was the worst check in we've ever had at WDW. Check in lines were unbelievable and we didn't get our room until 5:00. Needless to say we haven't stayed there again.

This September we're staying at WL and I will do onine check in again.

disneymom15
03-12-2010, 09:45 AM
We've used on line check in twice. Both times we stayed at POP & had no problems.

Carolanne
03-12-2010, 10:03 AM
I've used online check-in twice in 2009: POFQ in September & OKW in November. No issues at all, no wait whatsoever. Both times I got to the hotel between 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM.

TheDuckRocks
03-12-2010, 10:52 AM
We used online checkin at POFQ in Dec. and had no wait whatsoever. We arrived about 11:30 AM by car, my sister arrived later that afternoon about 4 PM on ME and my daughters family arrived a few days later on a Saturday about 10 AM on ME. The signs to the online checkin area were plainly marked, when the ME busses arrived the extra CMs from the regular checkin moved over to the bigger group of online checkins and everyone was out in under 10 minutes. Our room assignments were exactly what we requested, all in the same building on the floor and buiding of our choice, which was a first for us. We also were all given riverview rooms which we hadn't requested.:thumbsup:

DisneyFr33k
03-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Our advice- have more than one CM checking on on-line guests. We arrived at POP around 10:30 and were the first in line to check in as another couple was being checked in by the sole CM assigned to this post. Well, this couple must have been first timers, because after they had their packet in their hands, they kept asking other questions that weren't even a part of the checking in process. We waited almost 10 minutes while they asked question after question. :mad: The only way to remedy this is having more than one CM checking in or have a Q&A area where guests can go to ask their questions.

MariMouse
03-12-2010, 12:09 PM
We have used on-line check-in three times now and it was a breeze each time. Our packet was always waiting and we had our room available. The last time was CSR and we checked in before 10 am--our room was ready!

TheVBs
03-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Homeschool mom, it sounds like that was a just a fluke. We did online check-in and were actually helped by a non-online check in CM. It definitely didn't make anything take longer, but I can't say it really saved us much time either. It saved a little time because they already had our packet ready. I would just suggest being ready to jump in a regular line if the online one is held up for some reason.

magicofdisney
03-12-2010, 01:29 PM
I've done online check-in 4 times now. The first time was a breeze. The second time made me regret trying that option. The third time was a breeze so I went for it again last weekend. I was at Pop last weekend and online was quick and painless.

I think it's primarily a matter of working out the kinks for each resort. I had my doubts at one time because of that second check-in but I am now a fan.

PS-I'm a homeschool mom as well. :)

jillluvsdisney
03-13-2010, 02:37 PM
We used on-line check in December at POFQ. Smooth as silk. No line, our packet was ready and everything was good to go. We arrived at 1 pm in the middle of the week.

Mousefever
03-13-2010, 05:32 PM
We found online check-in at CBR to be very quick and easy. Sorry that yours didn't go smoothly though.

Amy

Melanie
03-13-2010, 06:41 PM
I had an okay experience with online check-in when I did it last November at POFQ. No problems at check-in, as there was no one waiting in either line (online, non online). Basically just felt it was unnecessary. Now if it was a peak check-in time, it probably would have been worth it.

LudwigVonDrake
03-13-2010, 07:33 PM
I didn't have any problems last July doing the online check-in at POFQ but it seems a bit unnecessary to me. I probably won't do it this year with Wilderness Lodge :mickey:

Sinewiz
03-14-2010, 01:38 AM
Ive used online check in the last few trips and I breezed through in just a few minutes each time. Twice at the AKL and once at the WL. :thumbsup:

bxrluv
03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Sounds like POFQ has this down pretty well so I think I'll go for it.:thumbsup:

pixiesmimi
03-21-2010, 03:39 PM
We used online check in last August at the Poly. There was no one there when we got there and actually two CM's working that line. We would have been in and out in 5 minutes if it weren't for the CM trying to tell us (with a heavy accent that we couldn't understand) how to do everything. We knew all of that already, which is why we used online check in. Also, they had put us in a building far away from the one we asked for ahead of time and I asked if we could get this building. She had to call and ask and took a while to get this settled but we did get the building we requested. This time I will do online check in and we decided we would just take the building they give us because they are all nice at the Poly. When we came back down from our room to go to the park, there was a line a mile long in the regular check in so we were glad we had done the online. Even if there isn't anyone there when you get there, it is a benefit because they already have everything done and you don't have to wait for them to get it all ready.

Granny Jill A
03-24-2010, 01:33 PM

You are so funny, and RIGHT! It is the worst part of any trip to Disney, for me. First you wait for someone to help you, the there's the long wait while the CM tap-tap-taps into the computer, searching for that perfect room (sigh).