PDA

View Full Version : Where would YOU want to live?

BrerGnat
03-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Okay, cost of living and job availability NOT being an issue, which of these two places would you PREFER to live in and why?

Washington D.C. area (northern VA, Maryland)

Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area

Opinions, thoughts, etc. welcomed!

Melanie
03-11-2010, 02:56 PM
What the heck is in Miami for you guys?

So for me personally, hands down DC area.

Just from the times I've been to Miami (which admittedly has only been a few times, but as recently as last fall) and word of mouth since living in Florida, both my DH and I are in agreement we'd never live there. It just feels different than the rest of Florida to me. In fact, last month at the WDW Press Event I attended, I actually met a couple and another man both from Miami who didn't enjoy living there. The couple is counting the days until their daughter graduates high school and they can move back to LA where they are originally from.

Regarding DC, except for the traffic (which is definitely a huge issue) we loved it. We lived in So. Maryland for 3 years on a small Navy base. IF we ever move from here, it will be to the Quantico area, and I wouldn't mind a bit. We're big history folks, so the opportunities are endless, and you are close to NYC and other big northeast cities. Miami is close to....not much. ;)

Oh, and No VA schools are supposedly really good. I have a lot of friends there now that are very pleased.

BrerGnat
03-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Mel: we are up for PCS next summer. Right now, DH has two opportunities available to him. The one in FL is as Commanding Officer for Marine Corps Recruiting SE Florida, which is based in Ft. Lauderdale. He'd be in charge of all of Southeast FL as well as Puerto Rico recruiting depots. Since he's Puerto Rican and speaks fluent Spanish, they are looking his way for this one. Career wise, it would be a great opportunity. We've looked into the area and there are three cities with exceptional schools, all located less than ten miles from where he would work. We were convinced this would be a good fit for us. Weather is similar to here, and seems like the opportunities for fun diversions in the state are great for our young kids. Since they have lived with DLR in their backyard all their lives, it would be a plus to be within driving distance to all of FL's attractions.

But, DH just got a job offer (basically an open offer) from his former CO to work with him at the Pentagon, for USMC Planning, Policy, and Operations. And THAT would be an amazing opportunity as well, to work at that level.

The only other assignment we'd possibly get would be at Quantico, for DH to attend EWS.

What worries me about DC is the weather and traffic issues. Honestly we both hate the cold and snow. Plus, I'm so not into history. ;). Our kids are both on the autism spectrum and it will be a cold day in you know where before we are able to take them into a museum or to visit historical landmarks where they are expected to look and not touch! They are so young that in our time there, I don't forsee us really having a chance to enjoy all that the area has to offer.

Just edited to add: I've been to Miami a few times, and DH once. He LOVED it there! Something about the "Latin vibe" perhaps? I don't know. He just loves warm and tropical, and is MISERABLE if he's not living close to an ocean in some form. Although we hardly ever go to the beach, he has this psychological need to be able to see the open ocean every once in awhile.

MMFreak
03-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Miami area for sure. No more harsh winters. Beautiful beaches. Five hour drive to Disney :-). Sunshine Sunshine Sunshine Sunshine Sunshine

WishingStar2006
03-11-2010, 04:39 PM
I have to agree...Miami/Ft. Lauderdale for sure. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton for 6 years and LOVED IT. Moved back to the DC area to be near my parents in their later years and now can't wait until my retirement time to move back to the warmth and sunshine!!!!!

The winters in DC are really cold and the traffic is really awful and commuting to the Pentagon is a nightmare!!! IMHO.

Dznygrl79
03-11-2010, 05:06 PM
I have never been to Miami but after spending a few months living in the Woodly Park area of DC I can tell you its nice but I would love to escape to a warmer climate. I actually don't drive but DC's Transportation in the city is wonderful. But how can you give up an oppertunity to be that warm and close to the mouse!!

crazypoohbear
03-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Check out the schools first for special needs to make sure your boys are getting the best they can get.
Given the choice I would choose the FT Lauderdale area because you don't like cold or snow and this past year DC has been slammed and they don't know how to deal with the snow like we do in the Boston area.
Also, because your kids would not benefit from the museums and history they would enjoy the beaches better and you want to keep them happy!
Which job would advance your hubby the most?
Where would he be happiest?
good luck on your move and let us know where you finally end up.

LauraleeH
03-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Washington!

Melanie
03-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Mel: we are up for PCS next summer. Right now, DH has two opportunities available to him. The one in FL is as Commanding Officer for Marine Corps Recruiting SE Florida, which is based in Ft. Lauderdale. He'd be in charge of all of Southeast FL as well as Puerto Rico recruiting depots. Since he's Puerto Rican and speaks fluent Spanish, they are looking his way for this one. Career wise, it would be a great opportunity. We've looked into the area and there are three cities with exceptional schools, all located less than ten miles from where he would work. We were convinced this would be a good fit for us. Weather is similar to here, and seems like the opportunities for fun diversions in the state are great for our young kids. Since they have lived with DLR in their backyard all their lives, it would be a plus to be within driving distance to all of FL's attractions.

But, DH just got a job offer (basically an open offer) from his former CO to work with him at the Pentagon, for USMC Planning, Policy, and Operations. And THAT would be an amazing opportunity as well, to work at that level.

The only other assignment we'd possibly get would be at Quantico, for DH to attend EWS.

What worries me about DC is the weather and traffic issues. Honestly we both hate the cold and snow. Plus, I'm so not into history. ;). Our kids are both on the autism spectrum and it will be a cold day in you know where before we are able to take them into a museum or to visit historical landmarks where they are expected to look and not touch! They are so young that in our time there, I don't forsee us really having a chance to enjoy all that the area has to offer.

Just edited to add: I've been to Miami a few times, and DH once. He LOVED it there! Something about the "Latin vibe" perhaps? I don't know. He just loves warm and tropical, and is MISERABLE if he's not living close to an ocean in some form. Although we hardly ever go to the beach, he has this psychological need to be able to see the open ocean every once in awhile.

I see nothing in here at all why you would choose DC then.

BrerGnat
03-11-2010, 06:22 PM
DH would choose DC for the comfort level associated with working for and with two people he's worked with before, and where there is mutual respect. Job and schools being comparable, it's really a lifestyle quandry. :)

Kenny1113
03-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Well I am dying to leave here so I can not reccommend Mia/ftl. However I don't know that I would leave for DC. I have only been to DC once, but the weather is a huge turnoff.

BrerGnat
03-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Well I am dying to leave here so I can not reccommend Mia/ftl. However I don't know that I would leave for DC. I have only been to DC once, but the weather is a huge turnoff.

Care to elaborate? What are some things you don't like. This is what I'm after; real personal experiences. Although it's DH's job, we all know who REALLY makes the decisions. ;). There's a reason why we've managed to stay stationed in Southern CA for 10 years...But our time has come to go elsewhere.

DH will put his preferences in line with what I think would be best for, mostly, the kids. Of course, being the military, we could very well end up going to some random place at the last minute.

pink
03-13-2010, 10:13 AM
I would pick Miami just because I am tired of the cold weather and I can't remember a vivid picture of a snow storm in D.C. recently. :mickey:

Kenny1113
03-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Mostly the people, there are way too many people here. The mentality of some of the people here is very self centered and inconsiderate. The public school systems are horrible, I am looking into putting my kids into private school right now (maybe even homeschooling, if private doesn't work out). That is the bulk of it, as I can think of more I will post.

SBETigg
03-15-2010, 10:06 AM
I was thinking of schools, too. I would make sure I checked into the schools pretty thoroughly before making a decision. Other than that, it sounds like you're really happier with the FL options and leaning that way. Best wishes with the big decision.

BrerGnat
03-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Mostly the people, there are way too many people here. The mentality of some of the people here is very self centered and inconsiderate. The public school systems are horrible, I am looking into putting my kids into private school right now (maybe even homeschooling, if private doesn't work out). That is the bulk of it, as I can think of more I will post.

Thanks for your feedback!

I think there are going to be WAY too many people in D.C. area too. ;) Right now, we live in Orange County, which is the MECCA of self centered and inconsiderate people. We've done alright, since we just brush those people off. Pretty used to that type of society by now. :D

The schools are a concern. I'll admit that. FL schools are notoriously bad, from what I've researched.

We would most likely live in either Weston or Davie (or possibly Plantation or Pembroke Pines). Heard those schools there are about the best you can get in Broward County. Our kids will only be in Elementary all the years we will be there.

murphy1
03-15-2010, 02:20 PM
I have only been to Miami area a few times. A big plus is closeness to the Keys, I think you would love that. Miami tends to have a mixture of people like where you live now. It's a plus that your husband speaks Spanish. I am a product of Florida schools and sometimes I think it's what you make of it half the time. I truly am glad I was exposed to diversity early on. You might want to check out Great Schools dot com to see specific details about what schools are like where you are looking. Is there any chance he could get to Patrick base? That's up the coast a little in Cocoa and is safer and cheaper.

QTPie68
03-16-2010, 01:35 AM
I have lived in the DC area now for over 15 years.

Although it is a big metro area - - it is not as "compact" as big cities, mostly I think because of the fact that buildings cannot be so tall, therefor DC area is more spread out than other of the eastern cities.

Working at the Pentagon is a very prestigous and interesting place to be.

But, reading your post, I really think that you might be more happier in the lifestyle of Miami area. There is a hustle, bustle here of commuting, traffic, etc. Plus, to get to the ocean, you have a couple of hours to drive. Although, you can get to the Chesapeake Bay easily.

Good Luck!!

DisneyDog
03-16-2010, 03:32 PM
I would choose DC in an instant, but I would live in the suburbs. The metro system is wonderful and you can get anywhere easily and economically. The schools are terrible in Florida, no matter where you live (we lived there for 3 years.) Children would get a much better education in the DC area...I would look at Bethesda or Gaithersburg. Also, you have so much culture available in DC. The Smithsonian, concerts, public performances, festivals, etc... I found South Florida to be culturally dry when it came to educational opportunities. Very few museums and so forth, compared to what I am used to in PA. The summers in DC are going to be as equally hot and humid as FL but you don't have the worries of a hurricane season.

MNNHFLTX
03-16-2010, 07:33 PM
The schools are a concern. I'll admit that. FL schools are notoriously bad, from what I've researched.I have to disagree with this generalization. There bad schools and school districts in Florida, the same way there are bad schools and school districts in any part of the country. But there are some very good ones too. My son went to a fantastic elementary school in east Central Florida and got into a wonderful "school of choice" junior/senior high school before we ended up moving to Texas. I would hold up his education as comparable to any other area, at least as far as I've seen (based on the children of friends and relatives that live up north).

You did mention in one of your posts that you found some towns with exceptional schools in South Florida. What about those as possibilities?

We enjoyed living in Florida, although I was ready for a change by the time we moved to Texas. I have to say that the area we lived in had some of the friendliest people anywhere. No one was self-centered or inconsiderate that I can remember. :)

MegaDisney
03-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Too bad you can't stay where your at...Disneyland is so close! :mickey:

I would have to choose the warm sunny one, DC is just too cold for me!

Melanie
03-16-2010, 08:45 PM
I have to disagree with this generalization. There bad schools and school districts in Florida, the same way there are bad schools and school districts in any part of the country. But there are some very good ones too.

Absolutely Beth! I disagree as well. Both my boys are in excellent schools. We were nervous after they'd been in Dept. of Defense schools their entire school years and we couldn't be more pleased.

dnickels
03-16-2010, 09:28 PM
I lived in Miami (not quite Ft. Lauderdale I know) for three years and like anywhere else it has its pluses and minuses.

It seems like a lot of people who swear off South Florida do so because of the language issue. That's probably a whole 'nother discussion, but people who only speak English can easily find it frustrating to live or visit there. I speak Spanish moderately well and never had a problem, but I would hear constantly from friends or friends of my parents who would be in Miami and come back calling it "3rd world" (literally their words) and I can't help but feel that there's some sort of xenophobia in that view. There's nothing 3rd world about it, there are plenty of cultural opportunities if you choose to pursue them. Sure it's not DC in that regard, but few other places in the country are. There are museums, there's little Havana, there's the Jamaican Jerk Festival and tons of other things. Sometimes 'culture' is more than museums.

You mention that your husband speaks Spanish so he'll love it. If you don't know it you'll learn it. :D There are plenty of great schools, I went to grad school with many people who were products of the Florida public school system and living down here now I know many more. They don't come out any 'dumber' than kids anywhere else in the country, those generalizations are just plain wrong.

You know what it's like to deal with traffic coming from Southern Cali so that's not an issue. I think you'd really enjoy the south Florida area.

mickeys_princess_mom
03-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Miami! Beach! Closer to Disney! Beach! Closer to Disney! :thumbsup:

Kenny1113
03-17-2010, 01:57 PM
I found South Florida to be culturally dry when it came to educational opportunities. Very few museums and so forth, compared to what I am used to in PA.

I couldn't agree more. I love the cultural Diversity ,but s Florida is severely lacking in these areas.

To the op, I hear that Weston, pembroke pines and davie are much better than my neck of the woods as fars as schools and people. Good luck with your move! :thumbsup:

Kenny1113
03-17-2010, 02:28 PM
It seems like a lot of people who swear off South Florida do so because of the language issue.

So that we do not get into an off topic back and forth, all I will say...

I will respectfully disagree. ;)

harlowandthemermaid
03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
I have lived in MD most of my life and although it does have it's good points, I'd take South Florida if given the choice. If your husband is working in Ft Lauderdale you could always live in an area slightly north of there like Boca Raton. We have family in Boca and it is quite nice and safe.
Traffic can be a little congested in south florida but the DC Beltway is a nightmare. DC does have great things going for it, there are so many cultural things, parks, museums etc. but South Florida has those wonderful winters. WE are moving to central Florida this fall but have actually toyed with South Florida as we love the Boca area as well.
Like other people have said, there are bad schools everywhere so depending where you live that could just as easily happen in the DC area as Florida. I have heard that as far as Florida is concerned that Boca Raton is rated the #2 place to live for families(Windermere was ranked #1) Can't remember where I read the article so I don't have a link for you.

mouseneer
04-01-2010, 02:13 AM
I live close to Balt-Wash area, and I'll tell you this-you better have a high paying job to live in a decent neighborhood. My aunt lives in Carroll Co., MD, in a brick rancher built in '77 on two acres, and it just appraised for $550,000. There isn't anything fancy about it, but it's close to the beltway.