PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space for 4 year old??

wendybird
03-11-2010, 02:20 PM
I, myself, have never ridden Mission Space, but my husband says it is pretty "intense". I hear now they have a choice of a tamer ride. Can anyone explain just how tame this is?? My DS is four and loves space and space ships, etc.. If the motion is removed and it is just visual - I think he would get a kick out of it (heck, I may even try it). Opinions....PLEASE????

murphy1
03-11-2010, 02:29 PM
I have been on it, once is enough for me. I would take him on the non-spinning side. I would never take a little kid on the orange side, it was crazy. I know some people will disagree, but that's just me. I think you should try it yourself, it's worth a try. I felt it for most of the day after.

BigThunderFan
03-11-2010, 02:33 PM
First off, wow, your 4 year old is 44" tall??

My son loved it, but he was 7 when he rode it. I was a little nervous taking him on it even then, but he did great. At such a young age I would definitely start on the "Green" side, and depending on how he did consider the "Orange". If you do decide on the orange, make sure to coach him to keep his eyes straight ahead to prevent him from getting sick.

I personally don't think it is intense, but you can get motion sickness easily if you look off to either side while it is spinning.

lettripp
03-11-2010, 02:37 PM
He should be fine on the green side... It shakes a bit but the real problem for me on either side is how small the space is... but again, he is a kid so I bet the lack space will be as noticeable...

wendybird
03-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks...He will be five next month and I was actually not even considering sending him on the "orange" side. Was just wondering exactly what occurs on the "green" side. He LOVES Star Tours (I get motion sick from it - he does not at all). Is it about the same as that or more intense?

Stu29573
03-11-2010, 02:47 PM
I'd say the green side is less intense than Star Tours (which I like, but my wife does not). You rock a little and shake around some, but not really badly. My wife and I hate thrill rides and we actually enjoyed the green side quite a bit.

jillluvsdisney
03-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Even though the green side is tame, it's still a very dark and confining ride. I just can't imagine any 4 year old not freaking out by that.

SBETigg
03-11-2010, 07:19 PM
I get sick on Star Tours and the teacups, but I can ride the orange side of Mission: Space with no problems and I really love it. Maybe I would try him on the green side without worry. If he loves space and does well on Star Tours, I think he would probably love it. It's a simulated space mission in a dark, confined space. And you are sitting next to him and can reach over, but I'm not sure about being able to look at him to check on him without making yourself queasy (I've never done the green side. On the orange, looking straight ahead is best).

There are some realistic "scary" moments, so make sure he can understand that it's all just for fun and not real. I think it's not physically more intense than Star Tours. What might be more intense is the situation and level of personal responsibility on the "mission." He should also know that if he doesn't do his "job" and press buttons at the right time, the "mission" will go on and the ship will correct itself (and you will land safely).

KylesMom
03-12-2010, 10:36 PM
There are some realistic "scary" moments, so make sure he can understand that it's all just for fun and not real. I think it's not physically more intense than Star Tours. What might be more intense is the situation and level of personal responsibility on the "mission." I must second this. DS actually watched M:S being built when he was a toddler, and at 5 really wanted to ride it. He was certainly tall enough, but he just wasn't ready for it at that age. While on Star Tours you have Rex cracking jokes 1/2 of the time, but this is a totally different experience. I too believe DS was 7 when he first rode the "Green" side. We've never been on the Orange side, to tell you the truth. I've simply heard too many folks not being right the rest of the day after they've ridden!

They've got some really cool, interactive games at M:S that your DS may want to play which wouldn't totally nix the attraction for him. :thumbsup:

MarknTara
03-13-2010, 08:19 AM
I (likely the biggest wimp on the planet!) rode the tamer version last time we went. I LOVED it! I'd say if your son likes things like Star Tours, he'd be fine on this ride!

KylesMom
03-13-2010, 11:04 AM
If the motion is removed and it is just visual - I think he would get a kick out of it One other thing I think I should mention - while the "spinning" motion isn't activated on the Green Team side, the simulator still moves. Sometimes you're on your back (takeoff), and other times your leaning fully forward with the shoulder harness holding you in place. The shoulder harness comes down around your shoulders at the beginning of the ride to limit movement - similar to RnRC.

wendybird
03-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Thank you for all of the info. I think we will be waiting a year or two before even trying the green side. It sounds like it is still a little much for my little guy....Thanks!!!

kemps@wdw
03-14-2010, 02:40 PM
The green side is just the same, without the barf :ack: factor. He will get the same wonderful spaceship experience!:thumbsup: