PDA

View Full Version : First Trip to DLR

awaggett
03-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Spent two days at DLR last week--Thursday and Friday. This was our first trip to DLR--and we loved it! We have been to Disney World more than I can count and everyone warned that we would not enjoy DLR, but we really did!

California Adventure was just okay--there is a lot of construction going on, so it was hard to navigate. Loved Soarin--no wait! In Epcot the waits are crazy. There was also only a short wait for TSM, the ride was good, but the theming for the line was not as good as Orlando. We enjoyed the Aladdin show and the Monster's Inc ride too. Tower of Terror was good--but different from WDW--spoiler alert---the first drop was quite a surprise!

We headed to DL in the afternoon and really loved walking down Main Street checking out the shops. I will admit I was very surprised by the size of the castle--not at all what I expected.

Really loved Pirates, IASM, and Space--much better in DL. Our favorite was Indiana Jones--what an awesome ride--wish they would bring that to WDW!

We were able to see the fireworks on Friday night--what an incredible show--again, way better than WDW. I loved the way they tied in the rides--super cool.

We also spent some time in DTD, which we all agreed was better in DLR.

So, all in all, we really loved DLR. Overall I would say WDW is still my favorite--there is just too much to compare with the four parks; however, a lot of the rides were better in DLR. One thing that was different--the crowds. It seems in Orlando there are more families on vacation--at DLR it seemed like more folks just coming for the day. It didn't make a difference, it was just a different feel in the crowd.

We had been thinking about a trip to DLR for a while, glad we finally did it and did not listen to the folks that said we would be disappointed--we were not!

Patricia
03-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Glad you enjoyed it!

If I ever have to pick one "stand alone" park as my favorite, it's always Disneyland.

Melanie
03-11-2010, 06:35 AM
We had been thinking about a trip to DLR for a while, glad we finally did it and did not listen to the folks that said we would be disappointed--we were not!

:thumbsup:

Glad you had such a great trip. Disneyland rocks! :mickey:

robnadina
03-11-2010, 02:31 PM
So happy you had a great time! There is more to do at WDW, but Disneyland is by far the best out of all Disney Theme parks. Sounds like a great trip and you didnt run into heavy crowds. Makes it an even better trip.

MegaDisney
03-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Glad you had a good time and enjoyed the Disneyland Resort! :mickey:

I wish people would stop "warning" people that they are going to be dissapointed in Disneyland, which is by far the best theme park in the world!

NotaGeek
03-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the report, and I am glad you got to experience Walt's Park ... you will have to plan a return trip in 2012 when all the construction is done at DCA and both parks gain the FULL Disney magic!

I am off to DLR tomorrow, and I can't wait to say hello to the Parks, it feels like its been SO long -- and its only been since September!

Beebop1962
03-18-2010, 07:11 PM
We just got back from our 1st trip to DLR and we enjoyed it.

We stayed at the Pardaise Pier but after going to Disney Hotel we wish we would have stayed there. More of the Disney Magic feeling. Now don't get me wrong the Pier was ok, especially the nice young lady who checked us in. (Don't remember her name and I wish i did) We arrived on Sat 3/6 at 1:30 pm. She checked us in, gave us our park tickets and all our buttons. (I was celebrating my birthday). Got up to our room just to find out it hadn't even been cleaned yet. Ask the housekeeper how much time until our room would be taken care of and she was rude. More or less, I'll get to it when I get to it. So back down to the lobby we go with our luggage. Spoke with the lady who checked us it. She couldn't tell us enough how sorry she was, so see upgraded us to a parkview room. All I can say about the view is "WOW". We left the curtains opened the whole time we were there (thank goodness we were on the 7th floor). It was interesting watching the crew working at California Adventure throughout the nite. Watched many of nites of them working on the new water feature.

Even though I loved Disneyland Park and enjoyed riding rides they don't have at DW I missed the many more things to do at DW.

My son, who is 20, thought DLR is more for the younger kids....

We are glad we got to experience where it all began. It has been something we had been wanting to do for years.

One other thing we did was go to Hollywood the day after the Oscars. We got pics with the statues. Great memory made.

One last thing, what they say about the LA traffic is 100% true. It took over 2 hours to go 25 miles. Didn't complain too much as the views were breath taking.....:cloud9:

mom2morgan
03-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the reports! We are going for the first time in July. We LOVE wdw, but it is much further away from where we live (alberta) and therefore more expensive, and we go for at least 10 days or so. This is a fairly quick visits - just 5 days - and I'm really looking forward to the relatively painless travel (literally 18 hours to get from where we are to Orlando - yeesh!). I had a hard time getting excited because I was so prepared to be disappointed, but after all my research (and lucking in to a decent deal at Disneyland Hotel so I can stay on site) I'm actually getting really excited :cloud9:

pdrlkr
04-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the Report! :balloon: