PDA

View Full Version : Really Nervous--Who's Had This Done?

mickeys_princess_mom
03-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Have to go in Friday to have scope down my throat and stretch my esophagus. I keep choking and feels like something is stuck in my throat much of the time. So scared. Biggest fear is not being able to breathe (which I know I will, but...) and I don't want to do this. Have to--all part of this new adventure w/ sleep apnea, hypopnea, reflux, etc. Afraid of something going wrong, and tearing or whatever. Part of my fear is that I may be aware of what's going on. Discussed being put all the way to sleep, but they prefer to sedate me more, which scares me just as much. Chest is tightening just "talking" to you guys about it.
Anybody else had this done? People keep telling me there is nothing to it, but I could use some encouraging words please...

tinkerbelle75
03-08-2010, 10:36 PM
I haven't personally had this done, but my cousin was born without an esophagus. The miracle workers at Children's Hospital built her a new one using a piece of her intestine. She has the stretching procedure done at least once every 6 months and has never had a problem (after 23 years). If you're having trouble breathing on a regular basis, you should definitely remember that lack of oxygen causes more problems! This procedure just might make all your other problems go away!Good luck with the surgery, I know you'll be fine! :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
03-08-2010, 11:18 PM
I have taken care of quite a few patients who have had esophageal dilatations done and they had no problems. The sedation given has an amnesic effect--that is, that patients pretty much don't have any memory of the procedure. It's understandable that you're nervous; it's the fear of the unknown. But I hope this reassures you a bit.

mickeys_princess_mom
03-08-2010, 11:26 PM
I have taken care of quite a few patients who have had esophageal dilatations done and they had no problems. The sedation given has an amnesic effect--that is, that patients pretty much don't have any memory of the procedure. It's understandable that you're nervous; it's the fear of the unknown. But I hope this reassures you a bit.

Will I know what's going on as it's happening? Will I see the equipment?

sassafras
03-09-2010, 07:12 AM
DH has had this procedure done several times. (Main reason for the number of times, he has a kink in his esophagus). Never had any problems, was a little dopey and slept part of the rest of the day after coming home. Had a slightly sore throat. Just make sure the Dr. gives you a prescription of acid reflux meds if that's what caused your problem. His Dr. didn't the first couple of times. I insisted the last time and , knock wood, he hasn't had to have it done for the past several years.

garymacd
03-09-2010, 03:27 PM
I was going to say what some have already said. If they offer the sedation: take it!

littleedie
03-09-2010, 07:09 PM
ok - this is long but--

Do not worry! I haven't had this procedure done, but I had a cardiac endoscopy done, and was terrified beforehand, but in the end it was totally easy - and I am a huge wimp about this stuff (I practically faint from a finger prick, have fainted while giving blood, pathetic). I was sedated for most of it, but had to be awake at the beginning, for basically the worst part when they numb your throat and then put the endoscopic thing down your throat and make you swallow it.

First the doctor will numb your throat with a spray or some kind of numbing agent - honestly this is the most annoying part because you can taste it and it tickles, but then you are instantly numb. When s/he puts the endoscopic tool in your throat, you think it will be the worst part and that you just won't be able to do it, but really, without even wanting to, your throat swallows automatically and you're done with the hardest part. It's nothing and you can't even feel it.

It sounds like you won't be totally under but will be sedated --- this will make the whole thing easier from that point on. You won't really know what's going on at all and it will go really quickly. Because you're sedated, you're not even capable of panicking anymore - at that point you're in a very calm lala land where you can kinda hear voices, but everything seems fine to you, and the next thing you know, it's done and you nap. Also, ask your doctor if you're allowed to use your ipod or something like that to distract you while it's happening.

And do not worry about things going wrong - things almost always don't and won't. And don't google anything - it always leads to unnecessary panic! You'll be fine!

mickeys_princess_mom
03-10-2010, 06:49 AM
ok - this is long but--

Do not worry! I haven't had this procedure done, but I had a cardiac endoscopy done, and was terrified beforehand, but in the end it was totally easy - and I am a huge wimp about this stuff (I practically faint from a finger prick, have fainted while giving blood, pathetic). I was sedated for most of it, but had to be awake at the beginning, for basically the worst part when they numb your throat and then put the endoscopic thing down your throat and make you swallow it.

First the doctor will numb your throat with a spray or some kind of numbing agent - honestly this is the most annoying part because you can taste it and it tickles, but then you are instantly numb. When s/he puts the endoscopic tool in your throat, you think it will be the worst part and that you just won't be able to do it, but really, without even wanting to, your throat swallows automatically and you're done with the hardest part. It's nothing and you can't even feel it.

It sounds like you won't be totally under but will be sedated --- this will make the whole thing easier from that point on. You won't really know what's going on at all and it will go really quickly. Because you're sedated, you're not even capable of panicking anymore - at that point you're in a very calm lala land where you can kinda hear voices, but everything seems fine to you, and the next thing you know, it's done and you nap. Also, ask your doctor if you're allowed to use your ipod or something like that to distract you while it's happening.

And do not worry about things going wrong - things almost always don't and won't. And don't google anything - it always leads to unnecessary panic! You'll be fine!

I did look up a little, and I'm right there with that panic thing. I really thank all of you for your responses. I appreciate it. I just wish I could totally sleep through this. The first part is what I'm most worried about I guess.

MNNHFLTX
03-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Will I know what's going on as it's happening? Will I see the equipment?Most people do have a memory of the procedure up to a certain point, like entering the exam room and seeing the equipment. But once they give the sedation, they have very little recall of what happened after that.

Make sure and talk to your doctor about your concerns and fears before the procedure, so that they can answer any questions and put you at ease. Every doctor tends to do things a little differently, so it will be good to hear from him/her what to expect.

Granny Jill A
03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
My sister has this done once a year to combat the effects of acid reflux. She is 66 years old and has had no problems with the procedure. Previous posters are telling you "for true" as my friend in New Orleans always says. ;)

Good luck.

mickeys_princess_mom
03-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Thank you all! Had the procedure done Friday, and the anticipation was truly the worst of it. Doc ordered extra sedation for me, and they gave me something in IV to calm me before they even started. All I remember is them strapping on oxygen, and telling me to roll on my left side. Woke up pretty lucid after. Went home and slept most of the day. Felt pretty good the next day. Glad it's over for now. Probably have to do a "swallow" test soon. Waiting on results from biopsy from Friday.

cer
03-17-2010, 10:02 PM
So glad it went well, and thank you for the update!

mickeys_princess_mom
03-17-2010, 10:41 PM
So glad it went well, and thank you for the update!

:hug:

AHOTE
03-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Good to hear things went well. Having had it done about 20 years ago, your proceedure was pretty much the same as I remember mine. I go on the 24th for the same proceedure to see whether or not I have an enlarging hiatal hernia. I've done the barium swallow test too and it's interesting to watch on the monitor as it's taking place. Forget the marathon, I have to get in shape for the Food & Wine Festival :eat: :wine:

MNNHFLTX
03-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Glad the procedure went well! :thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
03-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Thank you both! :mickey: Yeah--we've got to get things under control here. Ohana's coming up soon!

DVC2004
03-18-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm glad to hear things went well!