PDA

View Full Version : 50's Prime Time Cafe

PrincessJadesMom
03-07-2010, 03:31 PM
My DD(9) and I were planning to go to the %0's Prime Time Cafe on our next trip, but we heard that if you're shy you shouldn't go there. How "in your face" is it? We are both a little shy. Will we be uncomfortable having dinner there? Thanks!:beaker:

queenmom9497
03-07-2010, 03:48 PM
We went to 50s for the first time last summer and we did not think it was "in your face." I believe that the CM play along only as much as the guests allow. We had some fun with our waitress, but it certainly was not uncomfortable. It was different and worth the time. The food was superb and the "act" was fun for all of us. :blush:

We are going back this summer. It was one of the ADR that we made within a week of booking our trip.

Take the chance ... we found it to be worth it! :thumbsup:

Itchy
03-07-2010, 03:51 PM
My family and I have had lunch there about 3 times. The first time was very funny as my wife did not like the green beans, so before she could get desert (Mom) the waitress insisted that she take a bite. She got everyone in the tables around us to play air plane with a bite on the fork. The wife was a little embarrassed but she got over it. No elbows on the table either.

I think if you just go with the flow you will have a good time. Everyone gets the same treatment.

Hope this helps:mickey:

bruin1344
03-07-2010, 04:38 PM
I never found them too in your face. My 2 issues with 50s cafe are for some reasons the 1950s theme is not appetizing and the food was nothing special.

AllDisney
03-07-2010, 05:16 PM
The food is not great, but good. We go cause it's fun:party:

svarhall07
03-07-2010, 06:24 PM
I went with my girlfriend a few years ago when we were 20 and neither of us was interested in being taunted. We Loved It! We were lightly taunted, but they respected the age and our interest in being there. Its Disney, they make it special for each person, just how they like it. Don't fret, it is a great experience. The food is good, and you have to try the Peanut Butter and Jelly milkshake!!!!! Best milkshake I've ever had!

In my dreams
03-07-2010, 09:24 PM
If you think you can step outside yourself and have a little fun with your waitstaff, you'll enjoy it and have a good time.

jmj18
03-07-2010, 09:40 PM
I agree...we have been many times and I think they see how much you are willing to play along. We have never felt any "in your face" behavior.

Food has been better sometimes more than others but we always have fun.

I would say try it at least once.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do!:mickey:

HoosierDisneyFan
03-07-2010, 10:09 PM
I have been several times and love the place. I have been with my pre-teen son (he loved it when I was told to get my elbows off the table) and my 60+ year old mother. No "in your face behavior". If you playfully argue with your waitress, she will give you a hard time, but if not they just remind you to of you manners.

PS Warning if you are on the DDP... You can get a milkshake as your drink (good but..) it is very good but very filling. I had a full friend chicken dinner and then dessert. I thought I was going to pop.

MNNHFLTX
03-08-2010, 11:10 AM
I agree that the servers do seem to gauge how into the whole schtick each customer is, so I don't think you will be too uncomfortable. If you do get a little bit of teasing, just remember it's all a part of the theming (of having dinner at a relative's house).

On a side note, while the portions are fairly generous at Prime Time, I would not recommend that you get the pot roast. Last time we were there, a friend got the pot roast and it was a very small portion (which seemed quite odd).

DisneyFr33k
03-08-2010, 11:51 AM
We've been 3 times and all our servers were funny, had rules, but didn't cross lines. We are on the shy side too and I think they sense it and don't push too hard.

MMFreak
03-08-2010, 03:42 PM
We love this place and make sure we go every year. My kids have been told to keep their elbows off of the table, they have been asked to get up and sing happy birthday to someone at another table, been asked to stand in the corner for talking back, They have had to set the table as well as the airplane ffrom the cas tmembers for not finishing their plates. it is hilarious and we look forward to it every year!

kimommy63
03-21-2010, 03:32 PM
My husband is not great at 'letting down his hair' when it comes to being the center of attention. Oh, sometimes he'll grin and bear it but more often than not he will lose his Disney Buzz if he's in the spotlight so as much as my son and I love to play and ham it up, we try to keep him anonymous so I think we might have to skip this one just to be safe. :(

mickkey
03-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Just got back last week and enjoyed supper at 50's with my DH, DS, DS, DSIL, DBIL and had a ball...all over age 14 and "Uncle Tim" roasted me well for having my elbows on the table. DH, DS and myself have been there 2-3 times so we knew what to expect. We played along with "Uncle" and he ended up making me stand in the corner for about 5 min. My family (and the rest of the room) where in stitches. There was a girl about 10 at the next table who thought it was great. She was shy and Uncle did intract with here ...but on a much lower key. They pretty much know who wants to play along and who would be just be too embarrassed. We had a great time. a great meal and made great memories for my sister and her husband.
Just to let you know that we wanted to order the steak...but the servers highly suggested that the steak was sub par and that the pot roast/fried chicken and meat loaf were by far the MUCH BETTER choices. I am a shy person by nature but love Disney and love to have a good time.....and my motto in Disney is "I'll never see these people again in my life" and truely it was all in good fun and I'd do it all over again to see my family so happy and relaxed...even if it was at my expense.:mickey:

renecat
03-22-2010, 10:44 AM
You should try it. It's a must do for us everytime we go. If your not into playing along they don't really bug you. Sometimes it is just fun to sit back and watch others that really get into it. The food is wonderful. It's mostly more like home cooking. Sometimes after all the meals at Disney the home cooking taste the best. If you like fried chicken I think they have some of the best I've ever had. (Go for it you won't regret it.)

twinboyz
03-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Try It. It's fun. Our hostess was very interactive with us, but we were initiating it. There was another family in the area where we were and she was very calm, kind, and patient with them. Us, on the other hand, she was rude, impatient, took my cell phone away because I was texting when I was eating:blush:, and yelled at us to go home when we left.:rotfl: I have to say this is a must stop for us. Keep in mind, the CM's only follow your lead. If your not initiating it, they won't embarass you. We had a blast. Went without the kids last year and we are bringing them this year. I can't wait! Great fun! We thought the food was good. Home cooked family meal. I like the simple meals, so it was a good fit for me!

KatGat
03-28-2010, 12:34 PM
The first time we went, we hated it! Our server was loud and didn't give us two minutes alone without bombarding us with obnoxious comments. We were exhausted, beyond stressed, and NOT in the mood to be harassed. I actually left the table with our youngest son before the meal was over. It had nothing to do with having a sense of humor. We are a fun loving family. However, its not fun if you're not in the mood for it. We didn't find it funny or entertaining, but loved the theme and the old furniture,etc. We skipped it for years. Then, I braved another reservation when I learned that you can mention when you check in that you would like for it to be low key. This time, our waitress was pleasant and stayed in character, but did not needle us. Anyway, that was our personal experience.

Jeffybob
03-28-2010, 05:41 PM
We have been there several times and typically it is just the two of us. When it has been just us two, they did keep it on the "down low" and played with us, but nothing extreme.

When we took our niece, who was 11, she was at the age where she was "over" all of this so I played along, to the extent of getting caught with my elbows on table twice, resulting in getting up and singing the "I'm a Little Tea Pot" song to our dining room, complete with arm inflections. She was beside herself and that made it all worth it. To this day, she still remembers that milestone and who cares what people think ... it is not like I would ever see them again!

I think that it is important to not take outselves too seriously. Kids love when the adults get scolded since it is usually the other way around and in their eyes, turn about is fair play.

As for the food, I agree with most comments made thus far; it is good, but not over the top. It is comfort food and the fried chicken is my choice every time.

Just remember that if you go to the restroom, to be sure to wash your hands because they will call you out on it.

It is all in good fun BUT if you are the type that takes yourself too seriously, it may not be your cup of tea. The wait staff at the Prime Time Cafe is much like the staff at the Whispering Canyon Cafe; they like to put on a show and to entertain. Just relax and have a good time. After all, you are on vacation!

-Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Member since '98) :mickey:

2010 - BWV - Valentines Day
2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV
1999 - BWV, HH, VB
1998 - BWV, Swan

Carolanne
03-28-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm the person who will pretty much play opposum if you say "boo!" to me. If I'm in a situation where I don't feel like I'm in control, I have panic/anxiety attacks (seriously--3 yrs ago my office thew a surprise wedding shower for me & my now DH, and I had an attack in front of everyone--I ended up leaving for the day). All that said...I still go to WDW & I do eat at 50's Prime Time without any fear of being "picked on", and not once have I ever felt like a CM went too far. When I do have a fun-teasing interaction with a CM, it seems like they know how far they can go with me. I've never felt uncomfortable.

Now, Whispering Canyon: this one I have an irrational fear of. This I imagine to be more "in your face" than 50's Prime Time.

mom2morgan
03-28-2010, 09:30 PM
I can totally identify - my husband is exactly the same way, and that is the reason I'm scared to go to Whispering Canyon as well.

My husband is not great at 'letting down his hair' when it comes to being the center of attention. Oh, sometimes he'll grin and bear it but more often than not he will lose his Disney Buzz if he's in the spotlight so as much as my son and I love to play and ham it up, we try to keep him anonymous so I think we might have to skip this one just to be safe. :(

JoF
03-30-2010, 07:55 AM
I have been a couple of times - once as a couple and once as a family group.
The last time was in October with my family - my sister had to stand and hold a sugar packet against the wall with her nose and my mum had to sing I'm a little teapot with a guy from another table for having her elbows on the table. My dad didn't eat all his vegetables and got the aeroplane treatment. It was great fun and you don't really feel embarrassed as everyone laughs with you not at you - everyone is treated the same. Having said that, I think if there are just two of you then you do get a bit less attention than if you are in a larger group.
I would say that the food, while good, is nothing special for the price but the theming and CMs are great.
Go for it - if you can't do it in Disney then when can you :thumbsup:

AmandaChan
03-30-2010, 08:06 AM
My husband will be the first to tell you that I am shy and soft spoken. I had fun! They interact with you but they won't torture you!

GrmGrninGost
03-30-2010, 06:21 PM
This is a "can't miss" for my shy family and myself! The "cousins" seem to figure out quickly how far to push the act. We have had no problems, and I have seen no problems. As for the food, it is scrumptious is you like home style meals. ( I love the food!) I highly recommend you try it once and judge for yourself! :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
03-30-2010, 06:30 PM
They'll play along as much as you let them. It's not "in your face" and a lot of fun :mickey:

Rekenna
03-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi-DH and I went to 50's PTCafe just a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it. Our waiter wasn't over the top, and DH and I can take anything. We had a table with a TV, it was fun. I had the fried chicken dinner and he had the pot roast. We enjoyed our meal and most likely will return.

No worries, try it out-you'll have fun, they won't call you out on the floor or anything.

*Side Note-a previous poster said their DW didn't care for the green beans. We have to agree-I don't know what kind of green beans they are-if they are grown at "Living with the Land" or what, but they are absolutely horrible. We eat green beans all the time at home. Any time you get green beans at WDW they give you those long, skinny, overally green, horrible tasting things-ugh! :sick:

Have fun!:mickey:

bxrluv
04-03-2010, 06:49 PM
We were just there last Friday and our server, Mark, was wonderful. He introduced us to the 'rest of the family' as soon as we sat down and corrected my 12 yr old for being on her cell phone. She got a real kick out of the whole thing. I knew she would which is why we went. :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
04-04-2010, 12:05 AM
It's really not in your face... The cast members to joke around and play around... If you don't finish your vegatables, well, you might get picked on... ohh, and do what Momma always told you to, clean your plate and keep your elbows off the table... ;)