PDA

View Full Version : One day at WDW with a Skeptic?

jaredkari
03-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Alright, my wife and I are going to Florida with some friends of ours. We have time to go to WDW but just for one day. One of our friends is very skeptical of WDW.

What park would you go to and what attractions or restaurants do you think might change his mind in one day??

Mr_Increddieble
03-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Trying too hard to please a skeptic could backfire. I suggest you do what you love to do. The skeptic will then see Disney through your eyes, rather than the other way around.
My scope would be MK in the am (breakfast at CP before the park opens) with a trip to some odd resort on the monorail for lunch (Kona or GF Cafe) then Epcot at night (dinner at... -'insert a good WS restaurant here'-). Close with Illuminations while drinking a cold adult beverage.
You won't be able to get them out of Mousegears on the way out of the park.
p.s.: what's to be skeptical about?

ILoveLegos
03-06-2010, 01:30 PM
What are their likes & dislikes?
Are they into the environment & nature? AK
Do they like to travel? Epcot - World Showcase Promenade
Are they a fan of movie "magic"? DS - Magic of Disney Animation
Do they welcome the invitation to feel like kids again? MK fantasy land - (but really all of WDW right?)
Are they interested in technology? - Epcot's Innoventions.
You get the idea...

I go to WDW with lots of different people and I tend to tailor the experience to their tastes. So far, I haven't "lost" a visitor, they all have come back for more Disney, once they "get it". :thumbsup:

True story:
I was there once with a couple of friends and their pre-teen kids were terrified of Muppets :( - but no-one bothered to mention it to me. Since it was their first visit to any WDW theme park, I was "playing guide". I have never ever seen kids recoil so fast at the first sight of the Muppet Theater. I had to quickly change plans and exit the "Muppet section" of MGM (it was MGM studios back then). Much to my surprise, they LOVED the animation class and tour (who knew?). The kids recovered (and didn't hate me for showing them a muppet, LOL :blush:), and had a great time in that park and the others after all was said and done.

I also have senior friends who have FL resident after five passes. They literally only go to WDW's Epcot to shop, eat and watch the fireworks! :secret: Disney can be as kid friendly (Mickey Mouse) or sophisticated (non-Disney-like) as you make it!

Hope this helps! :mickey:

SBETigg
03-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Epcot, World Showcase wins over a lot of skeptics. But in FW, hit all the attractions you can, especially Soarin and Test Track, maybe Mission:Space but you have to decide on which version.

For MK, the person has to have the right sense of fun and adventure (which tends to be lacking in a lot of the skeptics). The exception would be if the person is only skeptical because they think WDW is going to be like Six Flags-- in which case, MK is a good choice, good chance to win them over. So it all depends on who you the person is.

gerald72
03-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Skeptics are going to be skeptics. If someone doesn't want to have fun, they won't.
Enjoy your fun.

Lakin
03-06-2010, 02:34 PM
MK & EPCOT. Save HS and AK for their next trip. :)

Tink#64
03-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Our expereinces have been that our first time adult guests have enjoyed Epcot the most by far. They find it beautiful, unique, intriguing and the most interesting of all the parks. Epcot is a nice place to slow the pace, enjoy the sights and absorb the magic! It seems that the kids first time visits always prefer MK, with everyone liking DHS & AK about the same. Rather than trying to impress them & turn them into a WDW fan, I would be concentrating on what my friend would enjoy the most! If they really enjoy their WDW experience they won't be so skeptical of the magic! :mickey:

IrishMickey
03-06-2010, 06:35 PM
I vote for EPCOT! We went with my in laws who were skeptic, living down the way from Disneyland it was hard to imagine visting WDW for 10 days, but they loved it there, we went to that park 3 times on that trip. I agree with other posts, to not push it, no one usually loves Disney the way you do. Enjoy:mickey:

Goofy Texan
03-07-2010, 03:22 PM
If you have the opportunity the day before your Disney day, take the "skeptic" for a tour of the resort. Take a boat to the Magic Kingdom and then the monorail to (and through) Epcot.

Getting a glimpse of both of those parks will help the visitor choose which one looks the most interesting. If neither does, you can hop a bus to the entrances of Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios.

You never know what will touch someone else. For example, someone who grew up in central California (then never returned) like me, might fall in love with Disney Studios. The art deco architecture and palm lined streets brought back sooo many memories.

Anyway, letting the skeptic make the final decision on which park to visit will make everyone responsible for the success of the day.

Scar
03-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Another vote for Epcot. Hit up Soarin', Living with the Land, Spaceship Earth, Mission Space, and Test Track. Then at 10:50 AM head to World Showcase and spend the rest of the day/night there. :thumbsup:

I can't think of a more perfect day.

Touchdown
03-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Why dont you ask them?

Tell them the basics about each park and the rides and shows that can be found at each. A lot of people think WDW is only the Magic Kingdom.

Also, stress to them that its their day and you will do anything they want to do, have them take control.

Most skeptics go with zero plans, get confused by their options and miss a lot. I know a family who once went to WDW, and since they didnt read up before hand, thought that WS was just a bunch of facades that contained (I kid you not) nothing. They never left the main circular pathway around WS lagoon.

AndrewJackson
03-07-2010, 03:50 PM
I would ditto the World Showcase idea. One of the biggest problem for skeptics is the crowds and long lines. World Showcase rarely has either - unless you are there for Illuminations at New Years Eve :eek:

You could get a fast pass or two for the Future World rides you want to enjoy, then take your time around World Showcase enjoying the shows. Be sure to get to a nice restaurant for lunch and dinner. I would suggest the Germany for lunch and Canada for dinner.

Finish with a pint in UK and enjoy Illuminations.

bruin1344
03-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Our expereinces have been that our first time adult guests have enjoyed Epcot the most by far. They find it beautiful, unique, intriguing and the most interesting of all the parks. Epcot is a nice place to slow the pace, enjoy the sights and absorb the magic! It seems that the kids first time visits always prefer MK, with everyone liking DHS & AK about the same. Rather than trying to impress them & turn them into a WDW fan, I would be concentrating on what my friend would enjoy the most! If they really enjoy their WDW experience they won't be so skeptical of the magic! :mickey:

well said

Plex
03-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Before my last trip I was actually somewhat of a skeptic myself. I went to WDW when I was little and didn't make it back until a Spring Break trip in college. Now I'm totally obsessed!

If you've only got one day, I'd say either MK or Epcot, depending on their tastes. Possibly grab a park-hopper for the day and do both parks.

If they didn't grow up on Disney (like me) I'd avoid the "Itchy & Scratchy Land" elements of Disney World. Avoid "classics" that are dated (Small World, Spaceship Earth, etc). Make sure to hit the more adult things - World Showcase, the Boardwalk, thrill rides, expensive restaurants, etc. Do anything you can to avoid crowds, long waits, long walks, etc.

What really did it for me was the whole package of WDW. They're not playing the typical "taller, faster, bigger, most extreme" sort of game that most amusement parks are. Disney is about an overall top-notch, high quality experience. Rockin' Rollercoaster might not be the fastest steel coaster in the world, but it's the only one that you ride in a limo with Aerosmith blasting in your ears! You can see an IMAX movie anywhere, but only Disney has Soarin'.

That and the food is amazing. If they're food people, they'll seriously enjoy themselves in the World Showcase.

Hope that helps!

Pop Centurion
03-07-2010, 05:50 PM
While MK brings out the kid in all of us, Epcot may be a better choice.

But it's tough to say without knowing the skeptics. I mean MK is so magical, cheerful, colorful, imaginative, etc. If they're into that sort of atmosphere I think the sight of the castle, smells of Mainstreet, a Dole whip, and Mickey's Philharmagicwill have them excted before they even get to the rest of the fun finished of by Spectro & Wishes.

But I'm guessing Epcot will better suit them. I'm sure Illuminations will blow them away at the end of the day.

Touchdown
03-07-2010, 07:18 PM
I beg you again to ask, because if they expect to do the Haunted Mansion, PoTC, and the Mountain Range you are going to ruin their opinion before you even step into Future World. If they dont want to see the MK thats fine I agree with Epcot, but ask first.

Tink#64
03-07-2010, 11:48 PM
well said

:blush: Thank you Rob!

Mousemates
03-08-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't think a day in the parks will "turn" a skeptic...as a former skeptic (borderline "hater") we visited the parks many times while our kids were small and all that did was kind of reinforce my preconceived and largely negative notions about the place. no, what "turned" me was a week long stay with the convenience of being on site being coupled with a good hearty dose of excellent customer service.

So as others have said, I wouldn't so much try to convert them as I would just try to let them have a positive experience.

joonyer
03-08-2010, 02:41 PM
I'd make sure you were in MK after dark and to watch Wishes. If that doesn't get to them, then they can't be reached.

phillydan
03-08-2010, 11:00 PM
If you only have 1 day, you should do MK to get the real Disney experience. You never know what is going to turn someone around. Just seeing the excitement on kids faces when they interact with characters can do it. Let them know it will be crowded, but also let them know that you will be able to guide them through it and use fastpasses. Maybe ease into things with Mickey's Philharmagic, then onto Pirates & Haunted Mansion. Once they get into the idea of how attractions are themed, Big Thunder & Space Mtn would be good choices next. Throw in a ride on Buzz also. Skip the afternoon parade, but catch Spectro and Wishes at night.

As others have said, without knowing their preferences, it will be hard to decide what is best. Good luck.

RAIDER
03-09-2010, 07:34 AM
I agree with the majority .Its got to be Epcot its more grown up and the world showcase would be hard for anyone not to amazed by :thumbsup:

andreallybadeggs
03-13-2010, 11:41 AM
While Fantasmic and Illuminations are always highlights for us (and we used to agree with pp that if they didn't like WISHES they couldn't be reached) I've been amazed by many of our skeptical family and friends who just didn't see it that way. They didn't dislike their time in the parks, enjoyed most of it actually, but from my perspective it all comes down to avoiding the biggest crowds and/or allowing time to relax. We pushed a little too hard one day trying to get in everything the parents of a couple of the kids THOUGHT we really should do. I knew better but bowed to their wishes (no pun intended) since it was their last day and by the time we got stuck in a huge Fantasmic queue at the end of the day, they were fried, and didn't enjoy at all what I thought would be a great way for them to end their trip. Getting ready to take 3 grandparents in their 80's (one of them a lovable sort of curmudgeon) and I'm determined that it will be all about quality even if we don't get to do Soarin' or Pirates.

PharmD
03-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I'd have to throw my vote to Epcot. While I am partial to Epcot it seems to be the most well rounded park. You have the attractions at Future World for the rides and then you have World Showcase for the atmosphere and culture.

kemps@wdw
03-14-2010, 02:17 PM
I have a family member who would rather have hot irons shoved under his fingernails, as to go to WDW! However, with 2 small boys, and a wife who LOVE WDW, it was inevitable that he had to go! He did like doing the adult version of the Epcot "tour". Strolling about the WS lagoon while eating and drinking your way "around the World" (if there are no children involved). Stop to sit and enjoy Off Kilter (in Canada) and the British Invasion (in UK), if he likes music. One dining adventure he very much enjoyed was the Hoop-Dee-Doo @ Fort Wilderness. PLenty of good food and drinks (adult beverages), and a corny but fun show! On our last visit to WDW, our family ranged in ages from 4 thru 62 (including a teenager). And there was plenty of enjoyable activities for all of us!:thumbsup: