PDA

View Full Version : AKL vs. WL Pros & Cons

Disney4us2
03-05-2010, 12:26 AM
What are the pro's and con's for AKL and Wilderness Lodge?

SBETigg
03-05-2010, 07:37 AM
They're both gorgeous resorts and good choices. I can't think of many cons except for smaller rooms than other deluxes and transportation.

The WL has the boat to MK, but buses everywhere else. The buses are sometimes shared, but they seem to be a first pickup/drop-off when this happens. The AKL, I've read recent reports that the Kidani building gets first pick-up and drop-off, leaving buses crowded or less frequent for Jambo House guests (not sure if this is a real problem or not).

The pros for both? Good shops and restaurants, great themes. Deluxe accommodations at a more affordable price. Location is WL's biggest strength, along with the rooms and lobby/shops/restaurants being mostly contained in one building. Animals and unique theming is the AK biggest's strength.

kakn7294
03-05-2010, 08:23 AM
I think it mostly comes down to what appeals to you more. My family loves WL but didn't care for AKL. We didn't stay at AKL but visited the resort and decided it just isn't for us - we like the animals but not the decor of the resort. We did stay at WL and loved everything about it. About the only other differences are in the dining experiences - both have great restaurants but with decidedly different flavors and atmospheres - and in the transportation as mentioned above.

Disneyfun
03-05-2010, 08:51 AM
I will admit that I have a huge bias towards WL right off the bat.

I feel that WL just has a bit more to do than AKL after you get past the animals that may or may not be visible off your balcony even if you have a savannah facing room.

With FW so close, you have boat rentals (which you may be able to rent at WL too), bike/hiking trails with bike rentals available at WL, Hoop Dee Doo, the smores party that they do at FW, and if you really have to have animals - the WDW horse stables that also offer horseback riding. All this just one boat stop away!

WL also, in my opinion, has better outdoor theming. The spring in the lobby that flows out through a meadow with wildflowers, over a waterfall and into the pool is beautiful! The gyser that errupts at the rear of the courtyard is also fun! The ability to be a Flag Family and raise the flag on top of the roof at the beginning of the day! One of Walt's original miniature train cars from the Carolwood Pacific is also on display in the lobby of the DVC villa building but anyone is welcome to see it!

A big plus is the ability to watch the Electric Water Parade each night at about 9:35PM from the dock area! This is a must see each time we go as it has been around since the park opened and there aren't many attractions that can boast that!

Last, but not least, if you get the hankering for a Dole Whip but can't or are not going to the MK, you are just a quick boat and monorail ride away from the Poly where Captain Hook's serves them up till midnight!!!

SBETigg
03-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Captain Cook's at the Poly is 24 hour. The grill closes down, but self serve items are available at all times. I thought the Dole Whips were available at any time, since they are self serve. Or am I wrong on that? Not sure about getting to the Poly from WL. That might be where the time limit comes in.

mom2morgan
03-05-2010, 10:16 AM
I think a lot does come down to personal preference for decor. We really want to stay at AKL, but wouldn't give WL a second glance. We live in a town called "Rocky Mountain House" and my husband builds log homes for a living. Somehow, WL felt like any resort we could visit 20 minutes from home ;-)

c&d
03-05-2010, 10:29 AM
We like both resorts for very different reasons.

WL because it's just a boat ride to MK and we really love the themeing. It reminds us of when we visited Yellowstone. We love sitting in the rocking chairs in the lobby and watching the crowds and the electric parade at night. Having the beach to hang out on is also nice and the ability to rent watercraft.

As for AKL, we love it for the reason that many people don't. We feel like we're stepping away from all the hustle and bustle of WDW. We've found it very relaxing to walk into the lobby and sitting and watching the animals is wonderful. The pool was one of our favorites and the smell from the firepit in the lobby was wonderful.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice or depending on how long you're staying, split your stay.

DakotaDisney
03-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfun, "I will admit that I have a huge bias towards WL right off the bat."

Then I should admit that I have a huge bias towards AKL right off the bat.

As for AKL...We feel like we're stepping away from all the hustle and bustle of WDW. We've found it very relaxing to walk into the lobby and sitting and watching the animals is wonderful. The pool was one of our favorites and the smell from the firepit in the lobby was wonderful.

Totally Agree! I love AKL, because to me it is like an oasis from the hustle and bustle of the parks.

I have only eaten lunch at WL and look around. I have not stayed there, but it is a cool resort and I have thought of staying there, but AKL has become what feels like home at WDW.

I don't know about transporation from WL, other than what has been stated by others. I have always had good transportation to and from AKL. I haven't been there since they added Kidani Village, but I have heard that the buses are a little more full now because of that.

If you can afford to stay at a deluxe resort, then either one is a great choice. I think, it just primarly depends on your preference of style & setting instead of pros and cons.

Disney4us2
03-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks everyone:mickey:

We have only stayed at ASMO so this is a big jump for us. My TA at Magical Journeys suggested WL since I may be using an ECV and the access is easier to the Monorail and not having to rely on the busses only. I must say after looking at pictures of WL and what it has to offer I may go with that. DD is a real big animal lover and that is why we were leaning to AKL.

Thanks again:mickey:

Disneyfun
03-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Captain Cook's at the Poly is 24 hour. The grill closes down, but self serve items are available at all times. I thought the Dole Whips were available at any time, since they are self serve. Or am I wrong on that? Not sure about getting to the Poly from WL. That might be where the time limit comes in.

On my last trip in Jan 09, I was in Captain Cooks at around midnight as they were starting to close things up. Now, I might have misunderstood the CM, but I thought that the entire area was closing down. The CM kinda inferred this when I stated that I felt lucky for getting in before closing so I could get a Dole Whip and the CM agreed.

If I'm wrong, I lay blame on the fact that I was very tired at the time. If I'm right, then my brilliant deductive abilities are to receive the credit! :D

Of course, they could have changed how things are ran since then! :blush:

I do know that all of the boat and monorail service only runs for an hour or so after the parks close, so that will put a damper on making the trek from WL to Poly for late night Dole Whip run!

megustamex
03-08-2010, 05:10 PM
We much preferred AKL to WL. WL has a pretty noisy lobby when things are rowdy at Whispering Canyon, where AKL has African music playing in the lobby and makes you just want to hang out and soak up the calming smells, sights and sounds of "Africa". I prefer viewing the animals to being on the lake, and I don't use any of the other features mentioned like the boating, etc. If you did I could see this being an advantage. We also always rent a car and drive to all the parks, so the boat is irrelevant to us. (That said, we took the boat once from WL and it took as long as driving by the time we waited for it, took the ride, and disembarked. From that point on we drove to MK).

We love the food at Mara, Boma and Jiko at AKL, along with the bar. We also liked Artist Point at WL, but would never eat in the chaos of Whispering Canyon. The food court at WL seems smaller than AKL's and more crowded. We also loved the African themed menu items at Mara. The rooms at AKL seemed much more themed than WL's, and a little newer. We like the activities offered at AKL, like the children's parade and the nature and travel talks given by native Africans.

I know it's a little strange, but we didn't like the feeling that we were at Yellowstone at WL when we've been to the real Yellowstone lodge. We love "pretending" we're in Africa, and since we've never been, it's easy to believe we're staying at an African lodge. Overall, there is just a sense of a peaceful oasis that we get at AKL that we love.

Stickey
03-09-2010, 12:16 PM
AKL and WL are both excellent resorts and are good values for a deluxe.

AKL Pros:

1) ANIMALS
2) Superior theming
3) Best restaurant selection- Jiko, Boma, Mara
4) Excellent resort shop

Cons:

1) Buses are now shared with Kidani Village
2) Distance to MK

WL Pros:

1) Resort theming-geyser, stream in lobby, lake
2) Convenience to MK and MK resorts-boat service
3) Activities- FW, Electric Water Parade

Cons:

1) Poor food court restaurant
2) MK area's distance to the other parks
3) Shared bus service

ffrda
03-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks everyone:mickey:

We have only stayed at ASMO so this is a big jump for us. My TA at Magical Journeys suggested WL since I may be using an ECV and the access is easier to the Monorail and not having to rely on the busses only. I must say after looking at pictures of WL and what it has to offer I may go with that. DD is a real big animal lover and that is why we were leaning to AKL.

Thanks again:mickey:

I may have misunderstood this quote, but I feel the need to tell you that the Monorail does not serve the WL........

I also wanted to chime in on the original topic....being a huge fan of Boma and Whispering Canyon, we have spent a lot of time at these resorts, and have finally decided to stay at the WL next month for the first time. We just love the atmosphere, the location, and all the activities available in that area......it just feels like it's in the middle of it all......either choice you make will be great, as they are both spectacular resorts!!! Have fun.

Disney4us2
03-10-2010, 10:13 AM
I may have misunderstood this quote, but I feel the need to tell you that the Monorail does not serve the WL........

I also wanted to chime in on the original topic....being a huge fan of Boma and Whispering Canyon, we have spent a lot of time at these resorts, and have finally decided to stay at the WL next month for the first time. We just love the atmosphere, the location, and all the activities available in that area......it just feels like it's in the middle of it all......either choice you make will be great, as they are both spectacular resorts!!! Have fun.

I know it is not a monorail hotel. She meant by taking the boat to MK I could catch the monorail. I wouldn't be so dependant on bus service the whole time.:mickey: