PDA

View Full Version : List of rides you can't record?

LauraleeH
03-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Is there a list of rides you cannot record or film available? I know most rides state that you can't record it before you get on but I was recently on Soarin and didn't see any signs. Luckily, before I started recording, my cousin told me that our other cousin has tried recording it before and it is not only heavily frowned upon but Disney will delete your video.
I'd like a list so I can plan out which rides I'd like to record before I get to Disney.

BigThunderFan
03-04-2010, 04:42 PM
I don't remember any RIDES not allowing video, as long as you are not using video camera lighting. We videotaped most of the rides we went on in January and never had a problem.

Now for the disclaimer, I don't believe you can video any of the rides/shows that use movies which would include Soarin', Ellen's Energy ride, and all four of the 4D movies (Philharmagic, Muppets, etc...)due to copyright laws probably. But that is all I can think of right now. There may be others, but I'm not sure. Of course I may be wrong and I broke a big rule while there, but no one ever said anything and I always listened before hand to the warnings to make sure.

jonahbear2006
03-04-2010, 04:44 PM
the only thing that disney usually stops you from recording is really new technology. Monster's inc. was the only thing that I remember them saying to please not take any film of the show.

gerald72
03-04-2010, 05:29 PM
I highly doubt they will delete your recordings. That's not even legal.

LauraleeH
03-04-2010, 05:49 PM
From what I understood, Disney didn't personally delete it, but they made my cousin delete it. He's 13 or 14 and he was approached after the ride by 2-3 CM's telling him that it's against Disney policy and asked him to delete it then and there. The thing is, they told him if it ended up on Youtube, they'd know who did it. Um, I don't think so. I checked Youtube and there are multiple Soarin videos up. But whatever, that's his problem ;) and after I found out I didn't attempt to record anything other than the games while waiting in line :)

I don't think my camera even has a light so that's good. I've always wanted to record "The Great Movie Ride" but I've always been afraid of getting in trouble but I guess I will try it next time I go! :mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
03-04-2010, 07:28 PM
I can't give you a list but there are some where video is not allowed. The CM will make an annoucment. I wish I could remember which but it seemed to be about copyright in some cases. If the video was about something copyrighted not only is it legal for them to have it erased but copyright law says that the copyright holder must take steps to protect their copyright or lose it. Just listen carefully to the CM's intro and you'll be fine.

dnickels
03-04-2010, 07:43 PM
As long as the camera doesn't have one of those illuminated screens on the back shoot away.

The rides just aren't the same when every boat has people with those darn screens pointing at everything. Detracts from the experience for everyone behind, and even if sitting in the rear seat of the boat it detracts from the people coming along in the next boat.

SBETigg
03-04-2010, 07:53 PM
As long as the camera doesn't have one of those illuminated screens on the back shoot away.

The rides just aren't the same when every boat has people with those darn screens pointing at everything. Detracts from the experience for everyone behind, and even if sitting in the rear seat of the boat it detracts from the people coming along in the next boat.

Oh yes, this is the most annoying thing. It completely ruins it for people behind the camera, for the next few ride vehicles. Please be careful and considerate of others when taping or taking pictures, even without flash.

Polynesian Dweller
03-04-2010, 08:51 PM

To reiterate, there are some attractions in which no cameras and no video are allowed I just can't remember which. But in these no means none, even without illuminated screens. That is likely due to copyright issues. So listen carefully to the CM.

Of course, when it's allowed try not to use illuminated screens if possible.

LauraleeH
03-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all the advice! The CM's said nothing to us on Soarin which is why I assumed taping was ok. When I took my camera out, my cousin warned me, and I completely understand why you can't record on certain rides.

Pop Centurion
03-05-2010, 12:11 PM
From what I can remember, they don't allow ANY video on Monsters Inc Laugh Floor & CoP. I can't remember which others though.

EeyoresBestFriend
03-05-2010, 12:58 PM
I agree with the other posters. Even if nothing is said contrary to it, PLEASE be considerate of others when it comes to illuminated screen.

I have to laugh because when a friend of ours joined us in WDW, he taped EVERYTHING!! Then when he got home ~ he kept saying it's just like being there ~ except he never stopped looking through a 2" by 2" screen! :funny: And because he was soo busy looking at one little piece that he missed all the other cool things going on around us. :shrug:

Myself personally, why don't you just enjoy the ride for what it is? That's how you can create great memories.(and they are bigger than 2" by 2")

LauraleeH
03-05-2010, 01:35 PM
From what I can remember, they don't allow ANY video on Monsters Inc Laugh Floor & CoP. I can't remember which others though.
You can't record CoP? Aww, that's one I've always wanted to do :(

Patricia
03-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Anything that has a movie in it will be off limits.

That being said, there are lots on Youtube.

I know I was completely annoyed watching Hall of Presidents when the women beside us kept taking video and her (larger than life) LCD screen was extremely bright and distracting.

LauraleeH
03-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Myself personally, why don't you just enjoy the ride for what it is? That's how you can create great memories.(and they are bigger than 2" by 2")
I've been to Disney countless times and I just got a pass so I'd like to have all of my favorite rides recorded for myself. I don't record every time I go, I'd just like to have one good recording of each ride :mickey:

CaptSmee
03-06-2010, 12:39 AM

yes, they specifically say no video recording of any kind as well as at Star Tours.

many other attractions say no video camera lighting, IE: Great Movie Ride, Voyage of the Little Mermaid come to mind for sure.

TheVBs
03-07-2010, 10:15 AM
I remember the CM at Crush's Turtle Talk saying you couldn't take video of that.

jaredkari
03-07-2010, 10:22 AM
I tried to record the Stitch pre-show, ya know with the robot detention officer, and a CM came and asked me to stop recording.

But yes I agree with others that if you are going to record make sure your camera screen is not open. It is very distracting on dark rides.

Pop Centurion
03-07-2010, 11:48 AM
I remember the CM at Crush's Turtle Talk saying you couldn't take video of that.
Hmmm, I was able to record a small portion when Crush talked to me Niece. I guess because I wasn't recording the whole thing they didn't give any problem.

pink
03-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I think you could record any of the shows and rides if you're tactful about it. Just please don't use a flash if you take a picture, it ruins rides like Haunted Mansion so much. Have fun! I always watch the rides on Youtube when I am going through my Disney withdrawals. :mickey:

ryca1dreams
03-07-2010, 03:07 PM
My understanding of copyright laws (eg: video taping a ride with a movie in it) mainly applies if you take that video tape and re-sell it or attempt to re-sell it for profit. There is a big difference between company policy and law though sometimes they match up.

That being said, most of you have excellent points about 1. not being a distraction and 2. just enjoying the attraction.

PirateLover
03-07-2010, 06:38 PM
We got screamed at and embarrassed while filming Carousel of Progress once, so that one is definitely out. The CM clearly did not want to be there that day and mumbled through her spiel. She did NOT say the bit about no video taping. The ride begins and something muddled is said over the loud speaker but no one can hear it. About 2 minutes later the show just stops and the CM yells "PUT THE CAMERA AWAY! THERE IS NO VIDEO TAPING ON THIS RIDE!!!!!!!" I don't think we could've sunk any lower into our chairs :blush:
In Ellen's Energy Adventure, we were allowed to tape the pre-show but were told (in a much nicer way) that we couldn't tape the actual ride. Those are the only two that really stuck out. We've taped all the 3-D shows (place glasses over lens and it works pretty well) and most other rides. We never use external lighting.

CaptainSad
03-08-2010, 09:56 AM
By law they can not touch you or your camera to delete or ask you to delete your video. They can only tell you that no video recording is allowed and if you don't stop recording, they can ask you to leave. I would like to see anybody try to pull the thousands of video's that are on You Tube. Not going to happen. There are a couple of attractions and shows that are definitely no-no's. It is not as big of a list as you are led to believe. But if you don't use the video screen they won't say much if anything. I did COP and the Cast Member was right behind me and did nothing. People who use flash or illuminated screens have no brains anyway. They only think of themselves at that point.

Imagineer1981
03-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I have never heard of a CM telling someone to delete video, and in all honesty many cameras now you can't delete until you get home on the computer or in my case we have a dvd cam so once its on there, its on there.

crltkcagle
03-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Yep I got fussed at when trying to record Monsters Inc. Most of the dark rides that I videoed didn't come out well. I did always close the little lcd screen so i didn't bother anyone. That also helped save my battery!

TheVBs
03-08-2010, 03:31 PM

Hmmm, I was able to record a small portion when Crush talked to me Niece. I guess because I wasn't recording the whole thing they didn't give any problem.

I wish we'd been able to record the part where our DD got called on. I guess we could have taken a picture, but I didn't realize that until later. I'm sure they probably realized you just wanted to capture the moment.

LauraleeH
03-08-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't understand why you are allowed to record The Hall of Presidents but not Carousel of Progress. Can anyone explain? Is it because there is singing on CoP?

magicofdisney
03-08-2010, 07:59 PM
CoP is one of my favorites. I've always wanted to record it. With the exception of one time, the CM has always stated no video of any kind is allowed. :(

Maybe it's not allowed in HoP either but they don't always mention it. :confused:

Tron8278
03-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Would people please STOP taking flash pics on Pirates of the Caribbean, and Spaceship Earth. Last two times I was at Disney, people insisted on taking pictures of every scene. Why don't CMs say anything to people who do stuff like that?

Video without a light I can take. A ride like The Jungle Cruise I could see using flash pics, or external lighting, but Spaceship Earth?

Morpheous
03-12-2010, 05:11 AM
Well, I think in a lot of cases its probably at the CM's discretion based on various circumstances though I could be wrong on that.

I am pretty sure though that they would frown on you filming on rides where part of the instructions is to stow all carry on items under your seat or in a special bin, such as Soarin'.

Beyond that, Ive seen people film Dark Rides such as PotC (ESPECIALLY PotC argh) with cameras that have those bright LED Displays, and constant flash as well with no CM intervention over the loudspeakers.

There is a lot you can get away with doing if you're discrete enough.. but I personally avoid walking that line. At the very least out of respect for other guests.

kemps@wdw
03-14-2010, 03:00 PM
I try to video everything I can. As a rule, I definitely take others enjoyment in consideration.(unlike some others). Eliminate flash/screen in dark rides. Video thru view finder and use low light/no flash film. The only thing I HAVEN"T been able to video is the American Adventure. I did, however, photograph it (w/no flash) and the pics turned out wonderfully. :thumbsup:

CaptainSad
03-19-2010, 08:19 PM
I got The American Adventure on DVD. If you sit near the back row middleish and hold the video camera up on your chest and use the view finder you will be able to get a great video. As long as a guest in front of you is not that tall and when sitting blocks your view. Again the CM's may not bother you if you don't use the display.