PDA

View Full Version : seriously thinking about buying in....but have some questions!

Amy_617
03-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Ok, DH and Ihave been thinking about buying into DVC, but I have a few questions. We are REALLY close to Hilton Head Island (about an hour away), so we were thinking about buying (resale) in HH.....but....if we do that, can we also use those points to stay at onsite WDW DVC poperties too? The points at HH are alot cheaper then points at OKW....but we prolly won't book HH every year, maybe every other. I know we wouldn't be able to book at other resorts until 7 months out, but it really wouldn't matter to us what resort we ended up at. We are thinking about either buying into HH or OKW.....because it's what we can afford. Please.....any advice would be greatly appricated! We are newbies at this.....so really don't know what we are doing...LOL! Thanks in advance!

faline
03-04-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm not an owner but have researching possibilities as well. From reading other posts, one thing to consider is what your annual dues will be. I understand that dues are higher at some properties, like Vero Beach and Hilton Head, which might make it more advantageous to purchase a Disney World property. You can use your points to book at Disney World but as you noted, if your home resort is Hilton Head, you would only be able to book at the 90 day mark. Good luck!

WRWDisney
03-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Correction to what Faline said,
but as you noted, if your home resort is Hilton Head, you would only be able to book at the 90 day mark.You actually said,
I know we wouldn't be able to book at other resorts until 7 months out... and you are correct.

She did make a good point about dues though:thumbsup:

faline
03-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Correction to what Faline said,You actually said, and you are correct.

She did make a good point about dues though:thumbsup:

Don't know where the 90 day piece came from in my brain! I know it's 7 months and that's what I meant to say!! Thanks for the correction!

MidnTPK
03-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Please make sure that the DVC makes financial sense for you. The bottom line is that it usually makes sense for the annual Deluxe visitor to WDW, not an annual value or moderate visitor. After you factor in the upfront cost, then the annual dues, you'll see that this is who the DVC is intended for.

People often get caught up in the excitement of 'buying Disney'. The DVC is NOT a discount club. It's a timeshare - though a flexible one.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to have your home resort somewhere you do not intend to typically use. As the on-site DVC resorts start to be sold out, you'll have a harder and harder time being able to book for your intended use: a WDW vacation. Outside of the Disney system, this is an immortal truth...DVC is somewhat more flexible, but if Disney decides it ever wants to stop building new DVC resorts, you'd be stuck with points in HHI.

OogieBoogieMan
03-04-2010, 11:30 PM
To follow up on the last post, you need to do the math. Look at your up front costs and the ongoing maintenance expenses. Consider all of it in context with the opportunity cost, or what you might have done with those dollars if you didn't spend them on DVC.

We are members and I do think ownership can make sense but it really is highly dependent on how often you use it, when you use it and what type of accommodation you typically will choose absent the DVC membership. The topic is beaten to death in some of the sticky posts in this group. By all means give them a look.

LynneM
03-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Choose HHI if you want to stay there, but not to save money. The initial buy-in price may be lower at HHI, but the annual maintenance fees, which you'll be paying for the next several decades, are significantly higher than any WDW DVC resort.

Over the long haul, you'll pay much more to own HHI than you would OKW.

Aurora
03-05-2010, 09:01 PM
From what you described, a vacation maybe every other year at HHI and other times at WDW, it might make sense for you to buy at HHI. From what I understand, the summer months are difficult to get at HHI at the 7-month mark. And if you don't have a preference for where you stay at WDW, there is enough movement that you would be able to get a reservation somewhere on site during all but possibly the most popular times of year.

The dues cost at HHI is an issue, I agree with the above posters. So I think your priority is to try to figure out over the long term where you would be most likely to use your points -- at HHI or at WDW.