PDA

View Full Version : fantasyland refurb

cfoshe
03-03-2010, 12:21 PM
I just read on Disney Parks Blog that they stated on the Fantasyland refurb today. Wondering anyone down now to see what has been blocked off, if any yet. I know they stated it started today, and showing pictures of the 1/4" scale model on Disney Parks Blog, but did not know if there is any action is the park just yet. Since my wife will not let be go down to WDW again until 2012, disney park blog and intercot is the only information that i am getting. Yes it is killing me knowning that I have to wait until 2012 to see wdw again.:D

kangan2roos2
03-03-2010, 01:14 PM
I am in the same boat. Promised son graduation trip in May 2012. Will be our daughter's first trip. I don't know if we should postpone (NOOOOO!!!!) until May 2013 which is what I read the approx date for completion is. Any help is appreciated.

bruin1344
03-03-2010, 07:18 PM
I definitely wouldnt cancel a trip over it. The main reason is none of the major fantasyland attractions are closing. Toontown is the only part of the park that is affected by the construction and I rarely ever went to Toontown.

phillydan
03-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Do not cancel. Something will always be under contruction or closed for a refurb whenever you go. There are so many other things to do, especially for 1st timers!

Besides, it will give you an excuse for a return trip.
:mickey:

Donald's Girl
03-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Been trying to find out something about this refurb. Does anyone know if they are going to save Mickey's and Minnie's houses? I can't imagine them not keeping those iconic sites but when I hear Toontown is going, I'm worried about this.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

ransam
03-03-2010, 08:32 PM
if you look at the map of the refurb...it's more of an addition. probably all you will see is some walls at the back of fantasyland.

alliekat
03-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Been trying to find out something about this refurb. Does anyone know if they are going to save Mickey's and Minnie's houses? I can't imagine them not keeping those iconic sites but when I hear Toontown is going, I'm worried about this.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

They will not be saving Mickey and Minnie's houses. I am not sure if this has happened yet, but I think that Mickey and Minnie will be available for greeting on Main St at Exposition Hall in the back where the small theater is located. That is until they find a more long term solution.

RBrooksC
03-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Does anyone know if they are going to save Mickey's and Minnie's houses? I can't imagine them not keeping those iconic sites

I am not sure if I would call these "iconic." To me, iconic would be the Space Mountain building, The Haunted Mansion building, Spaceship Earth, Cinderella Castle, and things like that.

Mickey's House was always basically a fanciful queue for the "Meet 'n Greet."

While I had been to Toontown the last few times I was there, it wasn't until the last trip I went into the houses, because we wanted to bring our son through it.

I feel no sense of loss at the closing of Toontown. Honestly, I think part of the reason for the demolition of it was because the execution of Toontown in Florida lacked a certain panache.

Imagineer1981
03-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I am not sure if I would call these "iconic." To me, iconic would be the Space Mountain building, The Haunted Mansion building, Spaceship Earth, Cinderella Castle, and things like that.

Mickey's House was always basically a fanciful queue for the "Meet 'n Greet."

While I had been to Toontown the last few times I was there, it wasn't until the last trip I went into the houses, because we wanted to bring our son through it.

I feel no sense of loss at the closing of Toontown. Honestly, I think part of the reason for the demolition of it was because the execution of Toontown in Florida lacked a certain panache.

I agree. Towntown has been remodeled a couple of times already anyways. I was always sort of disappointed with the character's homes and I still feel they'd be a much better fit in a real TOONTOWN at DHS and bring over Roger Rabbit's ride from DL

homeschool mom
03-05-2010, 04:25 PM
I enjoyed Mickey's and Minnie's houses. We have taken a photo of our kids with Mickey's mailbox every trip for the past 13 years. Our family has grown from our first pic in 1997 with only 3 little DDs ages 3, 4, and 6 to our last pic in Sept. '08 with our 3 big DDs ages 14, 15 & 17 and 2 DSs ages 7, 9. I was hoping to get one more pic. on our upcoming trip in May, but I'm not too hopeful now. :(

Darbylew
03-05-2010, 06:10 PM
I am notgoing to miss toontown. It is so
crowded all the time. Maybe with the all the
updating that they will be doing it will be better
and more spread out so it won't as crowded.

GoldenDreams
03-05-2010, 06:32 PM
I will miss Minnie's House. Unlike the others, it was interactive and really fun for the little ones. We spent a LONG time in there popping popcorn and opening the fridge. It would be great if they could still have something like that because little ones need that chance to relax and play - even at Disney World.

mickeys_princess_mom
03-06-2010, 11:18 PM
I enjoyed Mickey's and Minnie's houses. We have taken a photo of our kids with Mickey's mailbox every trip for the past 13 years. Our family has grown from our first pic in 1997 with only 3 little DDs ages 3, 4, and 6 to our last pic in Sept. '08 with our 3 big DDs ages 14, 15 & 17 and 2 DSs ages 7, 9. I was hoping to get one more pic. on our upcoming trip in May, but I'm not too hopeful now. :(

I enjoyed them, too! For some reason I thought they were just moving them. Sad to hear they may not be around at all. I snapped a million pictures in December just in case...:pout:

Joannelet
03-07-2010, 08:41 AM
I took pics of the houses in December also. Although I thought I remember reading that they were just moving them elsewhere. I have to say that Disneyland California's ToonTown is amazing! I wish they had done that in Florida...it would have been even better. Oh well. I hope this refurb turns it up a notch! :)

ffrda
03-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Was there this past Friday (the 5th) and there were no signs of anything going on yet. Toontown was open, crowded, and we didn't see any signs of the start of construction.

Jenemmy
03-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Actually, I just read that they are now indeed saving Mickey and Minnie's houses.

alliekat
03-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Actually, I just read that they are now indeed saving Mickey and Minnie's houses.

I just read the same thing. Although the blueprints show no sign of them in that part of the park, where would them move them to I wonder?

DisneyPrincess21
03-10-2010, 03:13 AM
I also read the same thing, which makes me both happy and curious... I wonder where they will put them?

mickeys_princess_mom
03-10-2010, 07:05 AM

Yay! :mickey3::minnie:

seanyred
03-10-2010, 10:13 AM
I also read the same thing, which makes me both happy and curious... I wonder where they will put them?

I was at the D23 1st Anniverary Party last friday night and there was Q&A session with a Imagineer. All he would say is that they will be saved but not where they will be relocated. I would vote for DHS.

finaldynasty
03-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I was at the D23 1st Anniverary Party last friday night and there was Q&A session with a Imagineer. All he would say is that they will be saved but not where they will be relocated. I would vote for DHS.

I would vote DHS as well. I am glad they are saving the houses, but I think there should be a nice area that is dedicated to the FAB Five! :mickey:

crltkcagle
03-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Yay! :mickey3::minnie:

So Happy they are saving mickey and minnie's houses!!!

AXOAlum
03-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Another vote for DHS - that park is still so lackluster IMHO. I think it would benefit from having a better version of ToonTown similar to the area in DLC.

Kaps
03-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Toon town was never a big part of my trip. Feel bad for parents with younger kids but mine won't miss it.

thejens
03-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Funny, I always hated toontown until I watched my little one LOVE Minnie's house and Goofy's roller coaster. Not to mention Donald's Boat. Personally I thought it was tacky and crowded, but I will always remember the joyful look on my toddler's face, and then a little older when he rode his first roller coaster! I have mixed feelings, but whatever they do to the park, I'll always have great memories and hope they will remember the little ones with whatever they do next!
(Yes, this little guy also likes Indy Speedway...)