PDA

View Full Version : Dining Plan w/DVC

jenperich
03-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Hello there! The past two times DH and I have been to Disney, we've been on the Dining plan. We love dining, and we especially love all of our choices in Disney. However, being new owners in DVC, I'm not sure that the DDP is the right thing to do anymore. It's still just the two of us - w/at least one more trip before we add one more. So, my question is...is the DDP still a good thing to do w/DVC? Thanks!

MarkC
03-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Well, we are doing it for the first time ever and we are DVC members. This is our first trip without the kids so we are going to eat at some nicer restaurants that the kids would not normally enjoy. Just do the math-- it is $42 per day for adults. How much would you normally pay for meals? Where do you normally eat? We figured at worst we would break even, but I admit there have been times where I wanted to order something more expensive and didn't to save a few bucks. Now I won't worry about it. Bottom line is-- just because you're in DVC shouldn't change much. Our only difference in joining DVC is we usually have breakfast in our room vs. eating out. So do what you like and enjoy your trip.

DVC2004
03-03-2010, 11:49 AM
It depends. We've done it a few times on DVC. We don't cook in our DVC kitchen but we do have breakfast- cereal, pop tarts, etc and snacks. So, we feel the DDP is too much food most of the time if we are doing that. I am, however, happy they offer it to members as an option.

Seasonscraps
03-03-2010, 02:25 PM
If you found the DDP suited your dining preferences on prior trips, I am sure it will still be a good deal this trip unless you are planning to prepare a number of meals in your room.

gmgdisneymom
03-03-2010, 03:09 PM
we do it ever time - it saves so much money inthe long run - plus i am a planner so I can book our dinners and plan which parks etc we will be in

tdk316
03-03-2010, 03:19 PM
I found that it worked for us, we just did snacks and quick breakfasts for the kids in the kitchen. We've been with and without kids and have done it every time. DH keeps track and we've always come out ahead, but very stuffed!

Checkers
03-03-2010, 03:31 PM
:mickey:When we go with family (DD,SIL,3DGC) we always get the DP. When it is just my DH & me, sometimes we get it, sometimes not. When we get it with just the 2 of us, we usually do a couple signature dinners and it works out well.

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-03-2010, 08:55 PM
We did the Quick Service dining plan last trip and LOVED IT. We have 2 small children and definitely wanted flexibility to eat when we wanted. We also wanted to have everything paid in full and not have to worry about paying oop for food. The quick service dining plan was perfect for us. Especially during food and wine festival as the snacks can be used to taste around the world! Between the 4 of us, we had 48 snack credits... 48 SNACKS!!! Tell me that isn't :cloud9: to go to the wine and food fest with 48 options paid in full! :D

mdhiggin
03-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Just read in Disney Files that DVC members will have to pay for dining plan at booking rather than upon check-in.

MarkC
03-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I just reserved dining plan about 3 days ago and they did not even ask for a deposit. We have our dinner reservations made already as well with no deposit or credit card number given. Mark

mdhiggin
03-04-2010, 05:26 PM
The info was in the Spring 2010 issue, just received this week. The change is supposed to start with some new property management system which may not be in effect yet. They are transitioning. It says to call Member Services for more details. Regular resorts will be under a system called Lilo, and DVC resorts under one called Wishes. Only the Wishes requires members to pay at booking. Regular guests have different policies. The article is mainly about the new systems and how they will benefit everyone, the DP comment was like an afterthought at the end of it.

Jeffybob
03-06-2010, 09:33 AM
For us, the DDP is a good arrangement for cost controls. Often we fly out from CA for a long weekend, arriving in the early evening. Upon check in, the DDP begins immediately so we are already behind one sit down dinner.

Typically we go to Downtown Disney on our first night and eat at Wolfgang Puck's Express, which counts as a counter service, leaving us with one sit down dinner that we apply to an upper end dining experience.

We always use the plan which includes 1 snack, 1 counter and 1 sit down as that plan works best for us. What we do not like about the plan is that you are get a dessert each time, and we are not dessert people.

In talking with a CM recently, I brought this up and she told me that she hears this frequently and suggested that when I am there next, I go to guest services and register a comment noting that it would be nice to have the flexibility for either an appetizer or a dessert.

I will be making this suggestion on our next visit to WDW on July 4th.

-Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Member since '98) :mickey:

2010 - BWV - Valentines Day
2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV
1999 - BWV, HH, VB
1998 - BWV, Swan

MinnieMommie
03-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Great Suggestion! I would be more likely to get the dinning plan if they allowed the option for appetizer or desert. Generally now we don't get the plan. We're considering the CS plan. Might try it on the next trip to see if we like it and then just pay oop for our TS venues. :mickey:

jenperich
03-06-2010, 03:58 PM
That would be SO great if they let you choose between app and dessert. I'll suggest it too! Thanks for the information.

Jeffybob
03-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Glad to lite the spark! Why not??? What do we have to lose??? According to the CM I spoke with, Disney DOES listen to the public.

A CM once told me, Disney's sole mission is "Sales", whether it be a Timeshare, a park admission ticket or an antenna ball. If this change will generate more sales, giving the people what they want, it is a "win-win" for everyone.

Personally, I think the DDP is a great opinion, no matter what plan is selected. It is all about options & based on the number of DD plans that the public now has to choose from, Disney has given the people choices in managing their dining experiences & their budgets.

I am the vacation planner & the money manager in our family, so love that I can actually know the amount of money we will pay for food during our visits.

Speak up, people! Let your voice (and opinion) be heard. And if Disney makes this adjustment to the plans, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you had a role in making change happen!

Happy travels!

-Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Member since '98) :mickey:

2010 - BWV - Valentines Day
2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV
1999 - BWV, HH, VB
1998 - BWV, Swan

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-08-2010, 02:24 PM
I will be making mention of this during our October stay!!! who knows, maybe by then there will be enough suggestions and it will have changed!

But, as a side note, at this point in our family's lives, the QS plan is definitely the best for us. Probably not until our children are in high school will be do the TS plan.