PDA

View Full Version : would you let your kids...

Soph and Han's Mom
03-03-2010, 09:49 AM
...walk around in the parks by themselves? just wondering what the consensus is from everyone. my older daughter will have just turned 15 by the time our next trip rolls around this summer, and she's not always interested in what her younger sister (who is 9) is. there is a portion of our trip where dad won't be with us and i hate to have her schlep around with us if she'd rather do something else. we negotiate quite a bit around here...this for that...spend some time doing what your sister wants and then we can do your thing...but i do want to give her a little bit of independence and i'm wondering if disney is the right venue. i'm not talking about the whole day...maybe an hour or so at a time. she has a phone and is a wildly responsible young lady. wondering if anyone has had any experience with this and can offer any advise!

BigRedDad
03-03-2010, 09:53 AM
I would not have a problem with it as long as she kept to one rule: what ever park you are in, she cannot leave it. I am sure your DD has a cell phone. the best thing to do is keep in touch every hour or so with a simple text message or call.

MNNHFLTX
03-03-2010, 09:53 AM
We let our son roam around Disneyland for an afternoon with a friend when they were 14 and they were fine. I think if a kid knows basic safety precautions and has a good head on their shoulders it's probably okay at 15 (although for myself I would feel better if they had a "buddy").

Disney4us2
03-03-2010, 10:03 AM
A lot really depends on your comfort level. Depending on the park the girls might do great together. If they both like coasters, have attractions that both like, etc.

We are at Disneyland quite often. My DD is 10 and I let her run ahead to the attraction (only) when we are with our friends and her DD is 13. They don't go around the park on their own. When it is just DD and I, she stays with me. Depending on the line(if I can see her at all times), I let her ride on some things by herself.

joonyer
03-03-2010, 10:29 AM
We have been several times and first let our boys roam the parks on their own (we were in the same park) when they were 14 & 11; big brother was responsible for keeping up with little brother. We knew what lands they were in and kept close tabs on them . When the older on got a cell phone, we gave them a longer "leash" but we were still in the same park. They are now 17 & 14 and we just got back from a Disney cruise, where they had free rein on the ship. We only saw them at breakfast and dinner. The boys and DW & I all had a great time. On our next trip to WDW parks, we'd probably let them go to a park on their own (using Disney transportation), and us go to meet up with them later, now that they are older and both have phones. I think the WDW community is probably as safe or safer than our home town, (and its pretty safe) so long as they satay within the resorts and parks and on Disney transportation.

mouseketeer mom
03-03-2010, 10:31 AM
My kids are 15, 13 and 10. The two oldest have bd's within the month.
We let them in the parks without us, when they are together. They are super responsible, all have phones as well. We have a plan, a meeting time and place and stick to it. I have not let them in a park alone that we are not in as well. So, when we are in MK, they are in MK. The exception to that is they have gone to MK alone when we've stayed at the Poly, and we've met up with them there. They have never travelled to another park by themselves, too far away from where we are.

Eric87
03-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Well I can speak from past experiences from the teen's perspective. When I was 17 and my brother was 15, we thought it was so cool to go to the parks for a night by ourselves. It was nice to do what you wanted to and be away from our youngest brother(11) and sister(9 months). We have very similar tastes for the thrill rides at then MGM and were held back by the family. It was like seeing the parks from a whole different view. I agree with some of the above posters about a "buddy". I don't think my parents would've let us go alone.

Scar
03-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't have kids, but just wanted to comment on how times have changed. I wasn't at WDW during that age, but I distinctly remember being allowed to roam around the Baseball Hall of Fame by myself when I was 10. The reason I remember it so well was because a man came up to me and ask me if I knew who was being inducted the next month (it was the summer of '75.) I answered "Ralph Kiner" and he rewarded me with a picture of him. I'm pretty certain he did not work there, he may have been a pro photographer because he had a bunch of pictures of different players. Anyway, when I told my parents later what happened, they were not in the least bit concerned that a strange man was talking to me alone and giving me a gift. I imagine today that wouldn't be the case.

MarkC
03-03-2010, 11:29 AM
We have let our kids run off on their own with brothers or friends, but I would never let them be by themselves until they were 17 or 18. While it does help that your child is responsible, there are still situations that could arise that are difficult for her to manage, and that are not in her control. Would she be OK? Probably. Can that be guaranteed? No. Its what degree of control are you willing to give up. I would make sure she is still in the same park and in a certain area, and that you know what her definite plans are.

DisneyDreamer
03-03-2010, 11:36 AM
I'd say let her go off for an hour or two by herself. We've let our sons who were 17 and 15 at the time do just that. They each had a cell phone so we could get in touch with them at any time. And of course, we had a time and place to meet up a little while later. With all of the cast members around I think she should be fine. Have a great time. :)

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I didn't let my son go by himself this past trip but he was only 14...I did however let him go with a friend and met up with them at a specified time a couple of hours later.

I would say it would depend on the maturity level of the teen and then I would make them stay in the same park and carry a cell phone.:mickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
03-03-2010, 12:06 PM
If you're going to let her roam, I think Disney is safer than any mall, neighborhood, etc out there.

I agree with many other posters that she should be in the same park as you. Maybe you can cut her a deal... the first day maybe one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon and work her way up to longer time each day if everything goes well. That is, if she calls when she says she will, comes back in time, has at least a pretty good game plan of where she wants to be so you know, etc....

Soph and Han's Mom
03-03-2010, 12:32 PM
thanks so much for all the feedback. i would love to let her run around with a friend, but sadly it's just the 3 of us for those few days. i definitely wouldn't let her leave the park by herself...prob wouldn't even want her to leave the land we were in! HA! it's a hard call...i know times have changed since i was a kid. this parenting gig is tricky sometimes:confused:

g8rgirl29
03-03-2010, 12:32 PM
I think this definitely depends on the child and their level of maturity. I tend to be a worrier and so I would start out with a very short leash. Maybe just let her be in the same area of the park you are in such as Fantasyland, Frontierland. This way you can keep the time frame short, you are not that far away if something happens to make her feel uncomfortable etc. If she has a cell phone she could keep you updated with text messages as to what ride she is getting on etc. If she does well then you could maybe lengthen the rope a bit. For me I would feel better if she had a buddy with her.

vicster
03-03-2010, 12:35 PM
At age 15 - absolutely. We've done it and it's been fine. For some reason at that age they don't want to hang out with their parents so much...I wonder why.

Frog
03-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I am guessing the reason why is exactly why some of us dads don't want our girls roaming the park with out us close by...
:D

#1donaldfan
03-03-2010, 01:27 PM
I'd let ours roam the parks....they are pretty responsible and level headed....:cool:

Frog
03-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Yea, I agree, I think we have done a fair job of raising ours too. I would let em go... as long as they check in every five minutes... :D

SBETigg
03-03-2010, 01:38 PM
We started out with tighter boundaries and expanded from there. We let my daughter shop in China while we proceeded on to Germany, and so on. I think you end up just seeing how things progress and going with the flow. Don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable, no matter what she thinks she can handle. If she knows the parks really well, you might be more comfortable with her straying a little farther. But I would keep to the same park, keep in touch by phones, and have some pre-established meeting places with check-in times.

Soph and Han's Mom
03-03-2010, 02:27 PM
SO...after a quick jog outside on this beautiful south central texas day, i think i have concluded that i WILL let her go with a few minor provisions (of course;)). if we're somewhere like mk i will let her wander in the general area for 30 minutes. we are both wild texters so i'll just check in with her every few min to see if she's ok, which will prob annoy her to no end, but too bad. we'll see how that goes...not so much for her but for me (ha)...and proceed from there.

that's the plan! you guys are great...you helped a lot:thumbsup:

wire0monkey
03-03-2010, 02:39 PM
My parents let my 11 year old brother and 15 year old brother walk around the parks by themselves. They also let them take the resort transportation to and from the parks after dinner. They were fine.

When I lived in Chicago, I rode the Metra every day with kids under the age of 10 to the University of Chicago campus. They were going to the University day school. They rode the train by themselves. They were fine.

In the Unofficial Guide to California with Kids, the author states that many families allow their teen-agers to go to Disneyland by themselves, at night. They're fine.

I doubt that WDW is more dangerous than Disneyland or the UofC campus.

Your daughter will be fine.

Ian
03-03-2010, 03:43 PM
At 15, yeah I think I would. Provided she carried a cell phone with her and checked in with me at pre-determined times throughout the day. I'd also want at least one or two face-to-face meetings with her, just to be on the safe side.

magicofdisney
03-03-2010, 04:30 PM
When I was 13 our school had a class trip to WDW at the end of the school year. They let us roam the park all day (wait for it) without cellphones! ;) I agree that Disney is probably one of the safer venue to explore this option for your children.

queenmom9497
03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
:cool:We have let our DD's (now 13 & 15) wander the parks the last 2 times we've gone to Disney. BUT!!!! They must have their cell phones with them and must NOT leave the park we are in as a family. As long as they stay together, it is ok. We do plan meetings at various intervals throughout the time at the park and usually meet up for meals (and/or money if the girls are needing/wanting more). The plan for our next trip is to continue the same plan unless they give us a reason to not trust them in the next few months! Only you know what your comfort level is but I'd say, your DD should be fine as long as you set some boundaries.

phillydan
03-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Same plan for us as on the other posts - our DD's were 13 & 11 on the last trip. They had cells and we knew roughly where they were going to be. They texted us with updates (in line at SM, heading to HM, etc). It was a nice break and allowed me to spend more time with DS7 doing things he wanted. I had a very good comfort level because of the cell phones and the fact that they knew the park layout.

bxrluv
03-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Too bad there's not a way for the teens on vacation there to have a way to meet and greet so they'd have someone to hang out with. Sort of like the teen club on the ship. I know my girls are 5 years apart and that gets to be a problem too. Right now my older one is sooooo excited that she's going for the first time with over 100 of her friends in the band instead of her "annoying" little sister. By the way, does anybody remember the days before cell phones when we had to either designate a meeting place ahead of time or use walkie-talkie's?:D

Mousemates
03-04-2010, 08:23 AM
sounds like a good plan...we do the same, and surprisingly enough, after a pretty short while our teens end up gravitating back to spend time with us well before the "roaming window" closes....disney is simply a place where its fun to be with someone you can share the moments with.

kakn7294
03-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Our daughter went with her HS Marching Band last year when she was almost 14. We were there too but the kids were off on their own much of the time - their rules required at least 2 kids be together at all times so I had no problem with that. However, I'm not so sure I'd want my daughter going off completely alone even though she knows the parks pretty well. She's often in her own little world and oblivious to things around her with her nose in her phone texting friends and the iPod earbud in her ears.

LauraleeH
03-04-2010, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't let my daughter go completely alone. With a friend or sibling, of course. I just have trust issues with strangers. I've been followed at Disney and Busch Gardens before so I will always have a little fear, but that's just me. Remember, cell phones are your friends!!! ;)

SandmanGStefani24
03-06-2010, 10:22 PM
i think WDW is probably the only place left where this is safe to do. (yet another reason to love WDW!) when I was 14, i got to roam the parks with no parents and had never felt so independent, grown up, and yet still a kid. it was one of the greatest memories as a young kid/teen. There is plenty of security, plenty of people around so the chance of anything bad happening is pretty much nill. Just be sure they can manage to stay out of trouble! :D
:darth:

crltkcagle
03-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Guess I am the odd one out because I wouldn't let my kids roam freely. Of course my kids are still young so maybe it will be different when they get older. I am also one of those I don't trust anyone overprotective moms. Bad people can still get in Disney World right? I know my poor kids are so sheltered but atleast I know they are safe. If your daughter is responsible and you feel comfortable letting her go then you should.

bruin1344
03-08-2010, 01:07 PM
15 years old should be fine especially if you've been multiple times.

Joannelet
03-08-2010, 01:32 PM
I started reading this post over the weekend. I just wanted to say something in regards to this..I'm looking at it from a past cast member and from a parents point of view....
I noticed that people keep saying that Disney is a safe place to let your children roam freely or that you feel as if its one of the last places that you feel this way. It is this mentality that can cause a lot of problems. Yes there is security there but many places have security. A child can be taken in a 2nd anywhere. Believe me there are predators/kidnappers/bad people EVERYWHERE....
The best thing you can do for your child is to tell them if they feel like they are being followed/bothered etc to seek a cast member and to have contact with you the entire time.
Your children should travel in groups. There is a much lower chance of a child being harmed in groups.
Yes Disney is a safe place for family's but please do not be naive about it. Things happen there everyday...there are people arrested from there everyday.
Disney is good but not everybody that goes there has the best intentions. Please remember that.
Only you know your child and only you can know if your child is ready to go out alone or not. But treat it as if you are sending her to the mall alone...would you do that? if the answer is yes then you can do that in Disney too. If its no, then I would say no to doing that in Disney. Treat Disney on the same level as any other place......

DisneyOtaku
03-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I've never really been by myself, and I'm 24, lol. Well, at least not on family trips (wait...I went to Epcot by myself the last family trip we took...that was super-nice)

I was like, 11 or 12 when I could wonder around the resort we were staying at. I wanna say I was 15 when my parents decided that my sister and I could go to the MK by ourselves (sis was 12 at the time). Mom felt better if we were together. So we were allowed to go anywhere on the main monorail loop (we always stay at the Poly) and we had phones with us, and we called them every so often. And of course, over time, that has expanded and we can now go wherever we want (but we're also in our 20s now, lol).

It was nice for everyone--sis and I got to be free for a while and we still love shopping along the monorail resorts, and mom and dad got to enjoy a nice dinner by themselves.

Soph and Han's Mom
03-09-2010, 03:25 PM
anyone have a lovely 15 year old they cand lend me for a few short days so my daughter will have a friend to walk around with??

HA!!

again, great feedback. thanks disney friends:thumbsup:

Frog
03-10-2010, 09:46 AM
mine would volunteer in a heart beat, but you have to take the mom and dad and two other sisters too! lol

DizNee143
03-10-2010, 12:26 PM
i would do it when i was that age...we have a meeting place to meet back in a few hours..it was nice..i guess you could call m a sad teenager i would just walk around and people watch...even when i got older and id still go with my family...id sit in the smoking section (i was a smoker at the time) and just hang out and people watch..until it was time to meet up..
im sure they know what is wrong and right..plus most people keep to themselves..
give it a shot for like an hour or so one day..and then decide if you will do it again!
enjoy your vacation! :mickey:

forever a child
03-10-2010, 07:57 PM
With a cell phone and a buddy I would not have any problem letting my 15 yr old daughter roam the park without me. But since we couldn't get any friends who were out of school early enough this year and could afford the trip..it's just DD and me! She's a Mama's girl anyway so she doesn't mind being stuck with me for the week! I was hoping to get out of riding ToT!:sick:

kimommy63
03-22-2010, 12:01 AM
:( I've gotta be honest here. I know it won't be a popular opinion but I'm just sayin...If I were a predator, and I'm not! But if I was, I would gravitate towards places like WDW because everyone is walking around in this wonderful hazy cocoon of happiness and sense of wellbeing and would be more apt to relax their guards and let the kids have more freedom than they might at the local mall or whatever. It's what they would look for. I know, like I said, not popular. and I know that most people and certainly CM's would throw themselves in front of a bus to save a child, but that's only if the abduction is OBVIOUS. and predators are very good at NOT being overt. It's just the opinion of the mom of a super friendly 9 year old son.

LVT
03-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Another 2 cents of idea. Maybe advise her that if she feels a little bit uncertain, just hang by a family in a line instead of clearly alone. She only has to say hi to one mom for any lurker to believe she not alone.

eandrsmom
03-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Thankfully, I'm not in your position quite yet. My oldest two are only 11 and 10. I can see them wanting to explore a little when they are that age, but I would make them stay together. I tend to be overly protective. I don't think I'd let my daughter roam around alone at 15. It isn't your daughter, I'm sure she's responsible. I tend to agree with the previous poster, even though you're at Disney, there are creeps everywhere.

Kaps
03-29-2010, 01:20 PM
As long as they stay in the same park, carry a cell phone and know some basic safety, what to avoid they should be ok.

Beauty908
03-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't be concerned about your oldest daughter's safety if she goes off on her own since there are so many CMs every where. There's something about Disney that makes almost everyone in the parks nice and happy so this would give your daughter an opportunity to meet new faces while waiting in line and possible other people for other countries :)

My biggest concern would be if your daughter would have a good time by herself. At 20, I loved wandering the parks by myself. There wasn't as much wait for rides as a single rider. But for me, i'm very out going so I met a lot of people along the way that I might hang out with for a few attractions and be on my way. I would definitely give your daughter the option but consider how much fun she'll have by herself. good luck and have fun!!

kemps@wdw
03-31-2010, 11:55 PM
I say OK w/a few ground rules. Gotta stay in the same park, regular phone contact (mine texts me constantly), and appropriate behavior @ all times (she never knows when you'll be watching). Let her know your expectations, and if she's as responsible as you say, she'll be fine! Even better if she's a WDW vet.:thumbsup:

MissMaryPoppins
04-01-2010, 12:58 AM
I think a 15 year old is OK to go through a park alone. I was almost 16 when I was allowed to. I think as long as you plan a meeting time and place it's fine. My parents let me and my cousin go off alone but we were not allowed to leave the park we were in and we had to meet them for dinner. We were on our own most of the day and had no problems...except getting soaked when TTA brokedown during a thunderstorm.

Joy

wdwvacationeer
04-01-2010, 06:54 AM
I don't think I would do it. I have a sixteen year old daughter that I drive to the bus stop each morning because she does not have a "buddy" on our street to walk with. If she had someone with her I would feel safer, but you just never know. If your daughter had a "buddy" and a cell phone, I would say she is definitely old enough to go off by herself for awhile but alone is kind of scary. Disney seems so safe but you just never know. I have a friend from work who was just there for our February break with her family and her two sisters' families. They were having dinner at LeCellier (I think it was LeCellier) and one of the sisters had to use the bathroom. They were seated fairly close to the bathrooms, eating dinner, and they heard a scream that sounded like the sister's voice. And it was. While she was in the stall, a man was in the next stall looking over at her! When she screamed, he ran out and left the restaurant. Scary. So, you just never know what kind of creepers are out there.

Mickey91
04-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Our DS (15) has been allowed some independence the last couple of years. We started with just letting him ride Space Mountain while we went on the TTC nearby or BTM while we waited or rode the train around once etc. and he had instructions on where to meet us. Since he was very responsible with that, he can now go for x amount of time providing he tells me when he gets in line and when he gets off the ride. This year he will probably just have to check in at a certain time and honestly, I think the thrill of going by himself is wearing off. He didn't go out on his own as much last time.

Now with our DD (12) I'm not sure when she'll be allowed to go it on her own. I won't have a problem with her going with her brother, but being a girl has more risks if by herself and though it isn't fair, it is life.

jonahbear2006
04-01-2010, 09:16 AM
when we were there in december there was a 10 yr old girl hanging out in the pool at stormalong whose parents went to epcot and left her in the pool, so apparently it happens. At 15, I think it is fine. I think I would go with the rule that if you are old enough to babysit, in our state being 14, you are old enough to wander alone.

garymacd
04-01-2010, 10:06 AM
We would let our daughter go off by themselves

... But they won't!

They just enjoy the whole experience with us, and always have. We even have them help plan the days so they both get to do what they want.

vicster
04-01-2010, 10:10 AM

... But they won't!

Hahaha - try harder!

joonyer
04-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Reminds me of the old joke:

"My parents moved a lot when I was a kid. . . . .
But I always managed to find out their new address!"
;)

Scar
04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
My parents (married 50 years) wanted to get divorced a long time ago, but they couldn't agree on custody... neither wanted us kids.

kakn7294
04-01-2010, 01:15 PM

... But they won't!

They just enjoy the whole experience with us, and always have. We even have them help plan the days so they both get to do what they want.Sounds like mine! When her marching band went last March, she AND her friends hung out with us. We must be the fun parents! ;)